New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner
New Yorker Dale Kaplan says Rep. Anthony Weiner "was a voice for things that I strongly believe in" but says he probably should resign.
June 11th, 2011

New Yorkers weigh in on Rep. Weiner

Rep. Anthony Weiner is under pressure in Washington to resign over his sexting-and-lying scandal, but he still enjoys support among some of his constituents in the New York City borough of Queens.

CNN's Jason Carroll is speaking with New Yorkers on the street Saturday to get their opinions.

"I have a very hard time with the resigning thing," Dale Kaplan told Carroll. "But personally, in a very selfish way, I was crying when I heard about it because he was a voice for things that I strongly believe in, and that voice has now been taken away. Who's going to take his place? Nobody. And I'm so, so incredibly upset about that.

"Should he resign? Yeah, I guess he should; everybody else is resigning," she continued. "I mean, I don't think he did anything so awful, but he's taking away from the party. ... It's just causing so much furor that we shouldn't be talking about. That's the only reason.

"I feel sorry for him as a person," Kaplan added, "because, to see a man's life fall apart right in front of your eyes, it's very, very depressing."

Others in Weiner's 9th Congressional District may be similarly conflicted. A Marist College poll released Thursday showed 56% of registered voters there don't believe he should step down; 33% believe he should. The district covers portions of Queens and Brooklyn.

Reporters swarmed Weiner when he stepped out of his Queens apartment Saturday morning, apparently to run some errands. He repeated his answers to previous questions and dismissed reporters as he ducked into an ATM kiosk.

However, he stopped and turned around when a woman ran up behind the gaggle of journalists and shouted to him:

"Thank you, Anthony! I just want to let you know that I support you no matter what. I support you, OK? That's your private life. You are a great man. I need a right man in the right position, OK? I support you. We all support you. ... All the people of New York want to make sure that you are the next mayor."

Weiner shook the woman's hand and thanked her before going back inside the banking kiosk.

1. Fred Schmild.

100% PSYOPS Brainwash.

June 12, 2011 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. ben dover

this weiner has been hard for more than 4 hours. time for a trip to the ER.

June 12, 2011 at 3:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. PrecisionDivisionDotCom

Circuit – Level Laptop Motherboard Repair:

PrecisionDivision dot com

June 12, 2011 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. jdlucky

if he was colored weiner he could at least be mayor of washington dc

June 12, 2011 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. steama

All these guys who create a public spectacles and lie to the public should resign. All of them.

Who cares what they do on their own dime.

June 12, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. ObamaBinBadagin

The big issue here is the lying. You can't trust this guy, especially with matters of national security. He's obviously a narcissist drunk on power and while that may go down well with his fellow Jews in New York he needs to go for the good of the country.

June 12, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Mac

According to Ann Coulter Jews need to be perfected, Weiner is truly a rubbish head and needs therapy badly.

June 12, 2011 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

I hope he dont resign.His personal life is just that: personal. We all lie about our personal life. That's just life.

June 12, 2011 at 5:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. petemg

I was just recalling another prank Obama did and got away with. Taking a joy ride in Air force One for a leisurely trip with the family over NEW YORK CITY. It's okay for Obama to do this, scaring the people of NYC. Nothing against fear after having the 9/11 occurrence. If the politicians are pointing accusing fingers at Weiner, they might take Wisconsin's idea and re vote them out. Problem is the people are re voting the wrong people. They should have a re vote on the 14 Democrats who ran away from their job. Stuff like that happens in all stages of the political field. While we concentrate on Weiner's woes, Obama continues to do things against the American people, creating a deeper debt.

June 12, 2011 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • JB

Rep Weiner is a risk to this country. What if sending lewd photos or messages had caused him to be secretly blackmailed instead of everything being out in the open, like now? Would he be willing to pay money or votes to hide his indiscretions? Come on!! There are plenty of normal, excellent people we can be proud to have as leaders and elected officials. The people of New York have a lot invested in this guy, but it's time to move on.

June 12, 2011 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Mac

There is a bigger LIAR, Schwarzenegger, who has been lying for 10 years, why does the media spend so much time on Weiner????

June 12, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

Paul Ryan said his healthcare plan will not hurt seniors but that's a lie, shouldn't he resign? How is it alright to lie about policy but it's wrong to lie about your personal life? I love my country I just wish the people in it was smarter!

June 12, 2011 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • RR1White

That's an interesting point. The simplified statements and sound bites from both sides are tantamount to lies. We really should do something about that. However, it's not nearly as egregious as the subject of this article.

June 12, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. RR1White

It is absolutely amazing to me that so many people don't see this as a trust issue. His integrity has been violated. He has behaved unethically, immorally, and possibly even criminally. Even if you like the things he says, how can you possibly believe him and trust him to do what's in your and the country's best interest??? And don't give me that crap about other politicians being corrupt! That's OUR fault that we don't hold them accountable. Plus, anyone who thinks that he is somehow two different people, one private and one public, is delusional. The public is merely a facade for the private. That is true for all of us. And we have now been granted a peek into his true character. We, well New Yorkers, should take advantage of that knowledge and at least TRY to get someone in office with some real strength of character. But, I am apparently completely out of touch with the majority and have been for some time. I thought there was no way that Clinton would be reelected, but he was...

June 12, 2011 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. trover

If I were you guys I wouldn't rub weiner the wrong way! After all he's up in the morning just looking for action, and I've seen him get so excited his whole head turned purple, veins wre sticking out and evreything! If he gets that excited he'll unload on you in a second and make you wish you could just close your eyes and take all of his spouting off!! All in all though I would have to say the weiner has made alot of people happy, even if he is a bit salty at times.

June 12, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • M.E

You require very little of yourself Sir. your intelligence is wasting away with all the time you spent of thinking so perversely of what to type in regards to Weiner's situation...you might as well be talking to him online while wearing a wig.

June 12, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Yul Pulit Al-Wauch

This is just a distraction. Pay attention to the real issues of imortance:

Wars, five at last count

Economy, ours has been destroyed

Pakistan, they hate the US & gave & are giving safe harbour to terrorists

Dollar, it's value as the worlds reserve courrency is so bad the world wants another reserve currency.

Abortion, Weieners weener, steriods in sports, on-and-on...we have other issues to contend with, this. Weiners weener just isn't of significance.

June 12, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bill

It seems that not all comments are being posted. You couldn't possibly be censoring -or,could you??

June 12, 2011 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Cheets

Yes they do I guess the free speech only applies to them.

June 12, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. trover

Everybody is pretty hatefull and they need someone to blame, but this situation has been coming for a long time and it still has along time to go!! When everybody complains about the huge deficit this country is in do they look at their own finances? Did they ever think that buying a 200,000 use when they only were making 75,000 a year was a good idea? Now the national debt is nearing the GDP big deal right -if I bought a house for 40,000 and my annual income was 45,000 I'd still feel pretty happy. Problem is what is your states deficit, your counties ,your cities, your own? We are in a huge quandry in this country and everybody wants to point fingers,are you kidding me?

June 12, 2011 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cheets

Good for them they can use their heads and be objective about a person's professional performance instead of what he does in the privacy of his own home. I'm thinking the people who cry the most about this are people who have been cheated on themselves once in their lives and are still butthurt it. The wife is the one that should be bitter not you.

June 12, 2011 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |