Gotta Watch: O.J. Simpson saga
O.J. Simpson went from popular former football hero to tarnished athlete when he was accused of murdering his ex-wife and Ronald Goldman.
June 12th, 2011

Gotta Watch: O.J. Simpson saga

The O.J. Simson saga was a story so riveting, it was dubbed it the crime of the century. It marked a meteoric fall from grace for a national superstar while dividing a nation among racial lines. It all began June 12, 1994, when the bodies of Nicole Brown Simpson, ex-wife of football legend O.J. Simpson, and a man named Ronald Goldman, were discovered outside her Brentwood, California, home. The nation and media became obsessed with every detail of the murders and trial. Watch how this tale of murder and celebrity became such a huge part of popular culture.

The murders - The Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were found stabbed to death outside Simpson's condo on June 12, 1994. The bloody crime scene, located in one of California's most affluent neighborhoods, and its connection to former football star O.J. Simpson, immediately put the case in the spotlight.

The infamous car chase – Californians are used to watching car chases on television. But when a former Heisman trophy winner takes police on a low-speed car chase and threatens to kill himself, even they couldn't have anticipated what would happen.

Jury finds Simpson not guilty – O.J. Simpson’s fate was must-see television. When the jury announced a verdict of not guilty, Simpson was visibly relieved. Meanwhile, viewers could hear the reaction of  the victims’ families. The moment was seared in the nation's cultrual memory.

Verdict reaction - As you'll see, reaction to the verdict was divided among racial lines.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Crime • Football • Gotta Watch • Media • Pro football • Showbiz • Sports
  1. ron

@voice of reason,,,,,,,Sir you have me dead wrong. I am not a racist . Not now or ever. I do feel I have some
    common sense and it tells me that with the majority of the jury being black and him married to a white woman
    he had the odds of acquittal in his favor. That is only my opinion. It doesn't mean I know for sure. I also agree
    Mark Furman certainly didn't helo the prosecution one bit.

June 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • JennaGen

Amen. Not to mention–it was 1994. DNA was not NEARLY as prevalent as it is now. NO one wanted to believe that someone could be convicted and condemned to life in prison based on (what they deemed was simply) a drop of blood. Had this trial taken place in THIS decade–he'd be rotting in prison for a double homicide–not robbery, assault and whatever else he's been incarcerated for.

June 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Satan

Is there a doctor in the house? I need an intestinal specialist. Oooo I'm in pain. Hate those pitchforks up my...

June 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. candy23

I am a white female I honestly believe OJ is innoncent of all crimes and he was found not guilty I also am not poor white trash.. I have always believed he was innoncent no one person could have done all of this killing what was Nicole going to say I"ll wait until you kill Ron or Ron said Oh I"ll wait until you kill Nicole annd also the kids were upstairs come on people get a grip on OJ after all these years

June 12, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • buckwheat

You're an idiot

June 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ljburgher

How clueless can you be???? DNA matched OJ, Nicole and Ron. He had a cut on his finger and said it was from his chicago hotel room. Yeah..OK....Nice try......he got found not guilty because he was black and Nicole and Ron were white. If OJ Simpson wasnt famous or wealthy...he would be on death row and he knows it. His lawyers played the race card and they won. The evidence showed way beyond a resonalbe doubt that only OJ could have been the killer. Nicole was already dead, Ron walked in on that and was Murdered by OJ. You must be a liberal Tree Hugger.......He damn near admitted it on TV that he commited the crimes...and said if he did...it was becaue he loved her...lol

June 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • RonJonWow

You are a nincompoop.

June 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kile Anderson, Lewisville, TX

You're a complete and total mo-ron. If you think OJ is innocent, you obviously have fewer than 2 brain cells in your dumb blonde head.

June 12, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Xtc

Yeah...and Mohammed Atta and Marwan Al Shehhi were innocent too.... IDIOT!

June 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

i agree,,,you are and idiot

June 12, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kingdomofdave

This is precisely the type of topic I mention in my "Don't Give a Crap" blog at Kingdomofdave

June 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Satan

No Scott does not love you,voice of reason. He detests
    losers like you.

June 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ron

@voice of reason....sir I feel it is you who has the race problem against whites , not I against blacks.

June 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ron

@Candy.....That is your opinion and I respect it. I don't have to agree with the statement but I you certainly have
    the right to voice it.

June 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lord Kensington

That burrhead is as guilty as the day is long.

June 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Trolololol

We all know the guy did it. He got off because he had a) a lot of money b) a stellar defense and c) a completely incompetent prosecution.

June 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burt

@ Trolololol
      "a completely incompetent prosecution"
      You hit the nail on the head. I watched much of the trial and I couldn't believe the mistakes the prosecutors made. Withholding damning evidence such as the large amount of cash and the disguise that they found in the white Bronco and the testimony of the person that OJ's car almost ran off the road near the crime scene. What was really unbelievable, was letting OJ put the gloves on his own hand, instead of having a trained professional fit them. I could easily tighten up my hand so my own gloves wouldn't fit. They really blew it on that part. Mark Furman didn't help by lying about using the "N" word. Everyone that speaks English has used the "N" word at one time or another. If he would have said "sure I've used that word" he probably would have defused the situation before it became a situation. The prosecution team looked like a bunch of amateurs. They were totally outclassed. If California would have had Vince Bugliosi as the head of the prosecution team, OJ would probably be Manson's cellmate as we speak.

June 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. stevie68a

After the massive publicity on this case, not once did I hear anyone say, "what in hell did she do to make him do this?"
    I am not saying she deserved it. My own theory is that she had a lot on him having to do with drug use and sales. That is to
    say, she had him by the coconuts, and threatened to pull 'em off. She may have "killed" him first on an emotional and legal
    level. He would then be trapped like a wild animal, and had his rage get the best of him. There are some women who will push men over the edge, apparently not considering the results of doing that. Of course, everything I just said is "alleged".

June 12, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiFre

You, sir, are a misognyistic idiot.

June 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. furunculus

". It marked a meteoric fall from grace for a national superstar while dividing a nation among racial lines."
    What a load of hogwash. The press TRIED to make it about race, as they do with many trivial articles every week..

June 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

OJ is paying now for the 1994 murders. The ONLY reason he was convicted of kidnapping charges in Dec, 2008 is because he killed those two. We ALL know he didn't kidnap anyone. We can thank Nevada for sweet revenge.

June 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RealTime

"We ALL know he didn't kidnap anyone."

Just like the jury "knew" he didn't murder two people also. Juice the juice with a few million volts.

June 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzzzzz

Jeff were you there? I don't think so. OJ was not found guilty. That is a fact. Your post is an opinion. See the difference MORON?

June 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • beelzebubba

no his bloody thumb-print on the fence at the murder scene would only prove to people like you that OJ was 'framed' by the man. What I learned from the OJ joke of a trial is that juries can make the dumbest decisions based on emotion – not fact. I feel sorry for people who really get framed (we know it happens more to minorities)... but OJ is guilty AND a sociopath. Glad justice caught up with him. Or do you imagine the cops cut off OJ's thumb to leave an incriminating print and sewed it back on?? Sheeeeeeesh. Learn the easily available facts sheeple.

June 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Jazzz you are the moron, what person would run from the authorities if he found out his wife was just murder. That's what is called a clue. Use some common sense, you obviously don't have any.

June 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • UtahBob

The only reason that O.J. was not convicted, was because they moved the trial to the "inner-city' rather than Brentwood, where the crime was committed. The "inner-city" was predominantly "black" and the jury reflected the "inner-city" community. Since the trail was turned into a "racial trial" by the defence tatics, the "black" jury was under huge pressure not to convict O.J., a hero to the "black" community.

June 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cornholio

COME ON! Everybody knows that Nordberg wouldn't do that. He's a cop! Doesn't anybody here remember that?

June 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |