Overheard on CNN.com: To be great, James needs humility
LeBron James reacts during Sunday's NBA Finals game against the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki is at rear.
June 13th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: To be great, James needs humility

Comment of the Day:

“It's not about him leaving Cleveland: players do that all the time. It is the manner in which he left and the ego he took into this season that makes it satisfying to see him fail hard in the championship. Kinda like when the Giants took down the 18-0 Patriots.”–rob

Clevelanders laughing as LeBron loses; in Dallas, perseverance pays off

It seems that LeBron James broke the hearts of many Cleveland fans when he moved on to play basketball for the Miami Heat. So Clevelanders were a mite gratified when Miami lost to the Dallas Mavericks in Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Sunday night. Many CNN.com readers said the issue was sportsmanship and not ability.

deb said, “Sportswriters get it. Players get it. If you put self-promotion above the game, you are not going to be well liked. Character still counts. Humility still counts. Lebron could be great, but he needs to chill out, figure out how to play with a team as a team and put away the cult of personality. He is potentially one of the greatest, but you can destroy talent without discipline. In any event, Dallas and Dirk worked for it, and worked together to win. Beautiful.”

Bobby said, “Whether Mavericks fans or not, all fans can appreciate winning with class, and all fans can appreciate those without class being humbled. The youth of today needed to see that those who think only about themselves are not often rewarded.”

r-hope said, “It boils down to one thing: humility. And LeBron doesn't know how to spell that. After losing, he was too proud to even congratulate the Mavs; that is what you do in sports. You acknowledge that the winning team did a better job. The day Lebron will learn to win and not thump his chest about it, or gloat over those who lose, that will be the day he becomes a real star.”

Many readers said it was time for Cleveland fans to let go of the past and move on. Steph said, “Seriously, City of Cleveland, you need to get over LeBron leaving. I know you feel betrayed because he said he would never leave but really!”

Beth said, “James left–yes–but this was just business and nothing else. And look, he helped bring Miami this far. He could have done a lot worse; and he's young and has a long time ahead of him to win a championship. So get over it, Cleveland.”

Yasnel said, “Cleveland needs to man up and stop crying. It's cold and disgusting up there; nothing to do besides freeze. Who wouldn't come to Miami and enjoy the nice weather and beautiful women!”

Tracy Morgan and the limits of comedy

Is it fair to condemn comedian Tracy Morgan for his anti-gay rant? Commentator Roland Martin points out that shock jocks are given a free pass for language that would bring a lawsuit in another context.

Many CNN.com readers said the problem was not so much what Morgan said, but how he said it. Oklahomo said, “I believe most protesters to Morgan's rants were clear about his tone being the issue; it was not joking at all but vile hatred spoken to an ignorant audience that thinks the same way." icka1975 said, "Exactly. It's all in the tone and delivery."

NickV1point0 said, “We're inclined to forgive the material if it's well written and actually makes us laugh. Morgan was plain hatred, pure form, unfiltered by funny. That's why he drew the reaction he did. We don't laugh at pure hate, we laugh if someone can turn that hate into humor."

19random35 said, “I'm a fan of Morgan's work on 30 Rock, but I've always thought his standup was pretty weak. If what he said was reported accurately, it seems pretty awful. I also know that jokes from some of my favorite comedians might look pretty awful on paper, too. But they use devices like irony to ridicule prejudices. It takes a skilled comic to navigate such risky material, and I think Morgan fails in this department."

willyd said, “I find it hard to believe that the person who listened to Morgan and later wrote about it went to the show not knowing what kind of a comedian Tracy Morgan is. I find his routines offensive, as I do those of many other comics. If you don't like it, don't complain to everyone about it. Just don't go."

But Gaucho420 was not so forgiving. "Would Roland find it funny, or acceptable, if a white man said he would lynch his son if he was black?" he asked. "Same difference, loser." Neutronium said, "He said some sick things. He apologized for saying those things. Moving on."

Former transit cop convicted in California subway shooting goes free

A former transit police officer was freed early after being convicted in the shooting death of an unarmed man on an Oakland, California, train platform.  Johannes Mehserle was convicted of involuntary manslaughter - after testifying that he accidentally shot Oscar Grant with a gun instead of a Taser in January 2009 - and was sentenced last year to two years in prison.  He was released Monday because California law gave him good conduct credit for days served.

Mehserle's release apparently revived arguments over whether the killing was an accident and whether Grant was resisting arrest or trying to calm his companions. thomasmc said, "See? Murder is OK, if you're a cop, and your victim is black."

johnnyhouse said, "You did not see the video before it was edited. He was resisting when the cop drew what was supposed to be a Taser. As soon as the cop fired the shot he looked at his partner and could not believe what he had just done. That video was shown first, and Grant was resisting on the original part of the early video. At first the cops started out to get them to move on and it picked up from there to the disaster that happened. No one will ever convince me that this is not the way it happened."

In another exchange, FutureLogic said, "Have you even watched the video? He was clearly subdued, and restrained when the shooting occurred." tkessler45 said, "I saw the video too, and there was a decent amount of commotion going on. As much as it could be seen as blatant murder, it could also be seen as a mistake."

Guest said, “Maybe it was an accident, but then you'd also have to call the cop a moron for not knowing the weight difference between a Glock and a Taser.”

ZooLife2 said, “You're far more likely to get murdered by someone like Grant than you are to get shot by someone like Mehserle. Grant had served two state prison terms for felony convictions.”

AGoodwin said, “Grant was the father of a 4-year-old girl and was considered a peacemaker. Moments before he was shot he was pleading with his friends who were all cuffed up to calm down and be cooperative with police. Grant was seen begging the police officers not to shoot. This is not a man who was out that night to kill or loot.”

1. funky bunch

He's so dam good he can't believe it.

June 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dante

No matter what answer LeBron gave, someone was bound to be mad at him.

June 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KBinMN

Whow cares? Basketball is a game played mostly by thugs or at least wanna-be thugs.

June 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • KBinMN

Hard to eat and type. Make that "who cares".

June 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • 12-21-12

Yeah, Nowitski is a thug!

June 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Always a LeBron Fan

Really, what is the definition of a thug?..................I'll wait while you get a dictionary!..................Ignorant statements come from ignorant people...............Ooooh I get it you must be dealing with a bully right now, go talk to the principal?

June 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carl in Alaska

What a glorious day! The arrogant, uppity LeBron James was hoisted upon his own petard. Karma has a way of coming back on you.

The issue wasn't that he left Cleveland; it was the WAY he did it. Now that there has been suitable payback, I hope LeBron learns from the experience and modifies his personality. He is a damn good player - but he isn't a "king".

June 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anti-Casey Case

Troll-bater, cut it out, already!

June 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stephen

I am so happy he lost. It is not about the ring but the game. Did MJ just try to win rings? No. It is about entertaining people, not about the end game. Now for burning a lot of bridges, Lebron is has now screwed himself. Hope Miami is ready to lose him when he tries to join Dallas.

June 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gollum Troll

It's all about the ring precious.. Master protects us precious... The only ring I care about is my virgin bride's wedding ring.. Precious..

June 14, 2011 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rodney

LeBron James is one of the greatest basketball players in the game, if not the best. I think people that are ragging him are just jelous and nieve of his love for the game. I hope he wins all the championships he wants in his future.

June 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Winning

You stupid loser can't even spell,go to school.

June 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Concise

Rodney I agree with you. All these folks assassinating this guy's character are restless, unhappy and egotistical. At least he has the money that most of them would never see in their lifetime under the SUN that shine brightly in this world. Very judgmental and silly in their reasoning. Go LB, Go Dirk, Go Wade, Go Terry and everyone else in the league. Learn from your errors and be the BEST you can be in life. We all are human and sometimes we fall short of high expectations and that is why we are human but we can rise again to conquer. Just learn to isolate yourself from silly egoistical people who I believe do not know their left from their right and cannot make a sound judgement in life. They flow with the silly masses of haters but can't contain themselves hearing someone HATES or DISLIKES them for whatever reason.

June 14, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Lando Colt 45

@Rodney: We only judge a man's character based on his Nike endorsement or bank account.. God will be like "Oh you had money on earth. You may pass" Lol.. Lebron will be like "see I am the chosen one".. Den God be all " Nawwww I'm jus playin. You headed down chosen one" Den Lebron be all " Whaaaa?.. But God I believed in Jesus.. I mean I am Jesus.. " Den God be all "Oh don't worry. He's where I'm sending you. Tell him I said hi" Den Lebron be all " Awwww he!! Naww!" Den God be all.. "Mmm hmm"

June 14, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Lando Colt 45

@Rodney: ......... We only judge a man's character based on his Nike endorsement or bank account.. God will be like "Oh you had money on earth. You may pass" Lol.. Lebron will be like "see I am the chosen one".. Den God be all " Nawwww I'm jus playin. You headed down chosen one" Den Lebron be all " Whaaaa?.. But God I believed in Jesus.. I mean I am Jesus.. " Den God be all "Oh don't worry. He's where I'm sending you. Tell him I said hi" Den Lebron be all " Awwww he!! Naww!" Den God be all.. "Mmm hmm"

June 14, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The best performers have to be supremely confident. Sometimes they do that and forget to be aware of the possibility of messing up. The balance is tricky.
    Even if one is a better player than others on the team, he has to play with them cooperatively.
    One can be completely confident and self-serving without appearing to be arrogant.

June 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eric

Lebron James is the way he is because of the media, period!

June 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. flick

Lebron is not ready for a championship right now,he's an awesome player but not great under pressure.

June 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Always a LeBron Fan

When is the last time you played in the NBA finals?........................Huh, exactly!

June 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lando Colt 45

Yee.. Flik.. Wen da lazt tyme yo a $$ wuz playin punanny bawl wit a bunch of grown a $$ men pazzin stdz aroun'? Ya herd? Yo a $$ caint have any opinyuns on stuff DAT yo a $$ don't do.. You ain't been gone talk bout nuhin DAT yo $$# don do fo a job aite?

June 14, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mr Brightside

To those telling Clevelanders to 'get over it', I say this: "Why?". What do you care if Clevelanders are mad? Besides, if it happened the way it did to the team you rooted for, I assure you your city would react the same way. Fans are the same everywhere.

June 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Realdealalleymacbeal

Ahh I get it fragile rock.. Lebron is the fallen angel descended not from heaven but from Ohio.. having a falling out with the head honcho and sent to the fiery heat.... just like the devil had a falling out with god and was sent packing.. clever.. This explains why all these celebs are egocentric megalomaniacs..

June 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. twinsplusone

dante u r right no matter what they will hate him. This is a grown man if he want to stand on top of the empire state building and say he's going to miami who cares. He could do what he wants. I respect his game. He's 26 and have a lot of years to win one two three championships. He still have game and if everyone take the emotional aspect of it they will see it. Imagine the media and the world riddiculing you on everything u do . Not many people can handle that.

June 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lou

Right on. He was amazing and if it wasn't for his clutch performances against the Celtics Miami wouldn't have been in the finals.
      People are so foolish. When Miami wins everyone talks as if they're the next Dynasty. When they loose everyone talks how "they have to disband the big three".
      Everyone get a grip!
      Yes, LeBron could use some sportsmanship lessons and a bit of humility wouldn't hurt.

June 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. greatscots

Lets face it about Lebron or whatever his name is....he will never be like or play lilke MICHAEL JORDAN!!!!

He is a MJ wanna be.....end of story.

June 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • twinsplusone

greatscots lebron never said he was like mj everybody else did. so thats not his issue,

June 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lando Colt 45

@twinsplusone: Yee dawg. You tel dem playa hatin crackuhz.. He only pikd da numba deuce tre for his uniform cuz he really likd mike ya feel me? Daz wuzzup

June 14, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Casey Kasem

@banasy... Of course you don't understand. You seem to have taken it personally when really you didn't need to say anything, since my statement didn't apply to you. Currently there are 1,300+ comments on the lebron story.. This comment is the 10th here.. Even in loss the "chosen one" is the main attraction... Now the setting is right for the "chosen one's" glorious victory. Lol You'll know what I meant when the fat lady sings for us all one day... This King James character is just a tentacle of Satan.. This same story plays out in all our affairs.. Religion was made ridiculous on purpose to make God look like a doochbag.. The devil has succeeded to some degree, but not with me. We all will have to account for everything including the chosen one king james.. lol It was written.. The whole King James chosen one worship was done on purpose. Get 50,000 loyal followers to show up to a sporting event to give the illusion Every person on the planet loves you. Tick tock tick tock

June 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Always a LeBron Fan

Seriously, I'm pretty sure there's a nice religious forum you can join in or anti-religious one, whatever is your preference. Are you on meds?

June 13, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Esham

@always a lebron fan: It's all in yo head all in yo head all in yo head in yo FD up head... I hear voices in my head they keep calling me.. My mind is playin tricks on me.. Im goin off the rail on my crazy train.. You're a counterfeit.. You know we figured you out.. Lollollollol.... Meds.... You're hilarious.. Tell lebron he can eat your pudding..

June 14, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Esham

@always a lebron fan: It's all in yo head all in yo head all in yo head in yo effed up head... I hear voices in my head they keep calling me.. My mind is playin trix on me.. Im goin off the rail on my crazy train.. You're a counterfeit.. You know we figured you out.. Lollollollol.... Meds.... You're hilarious.. Tell lebron he can eat your pudding..

June 14, 2011 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |