Overheard on CNN.com: To be great, James needs humility
LeBron James reacts during Sunday's NBA Finals game against the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki is at rear.
June 13th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: To be great, James needs humility

Comment of the Day:

“It's not about him leaving Cleveland: players do that all the time. It is the manner in which he left and the ego he took into this season that makes it satisfying to see him fail hard in the championship. Kinda like when the Giants took down the 18-0 Patriots.”–rob

Clevelanders laughing as LeBron loses; in Dallas, perseverance pays off

It seems that LeBron James broke the hearts of many Cleveland fans when he moved on to play basketball for the Miami Heat. So Clevelanders were a mite gratified when Miami lost to the Dallas Mavericks in Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Sunday night. Many CNN.com readers said the issue was sportsmanship and not ability.

deb said, “Sportswriters get it. Players get it. If you put self-promotion above the game, you are not going to be well liked. Character still counts. Humility still counts. Lebron could be great, but he needs to chill out, figure out how to play with a team as a team and put away the cult of personality. He is potentially one of the greatest, but you can destroy talent without discipline. In any event, Dallas and Dirk worked for it, and worked together to win. Beautiful.”

Bobby said, “Whether Mavericks fans or not, all fans can appreciate winning with class, and all fans can appreciate those without class being humbled. The youth of today needed to see that those who think only about themselves are not often rewarded.”

r-hope said, “It boils down to one thing: humility. And LeBron doesn't know how to spell that. After losing, he was too proud to even congratulate the Mavs; that is what you do in sports. You acknowledge that the winning team did a better job. The day Lebron will learn to win and not thump his chest about it, or gloat over those who lose, that will be the day he becomes a real star.”

Many readers said it was time for Cleveland fans to let go of the past and move on. Steph said, “Seriously, City of Cleveland, you need to get over LeBron leaving. I know you feel betrayed because he said he would never leave but really!”

Beth said, “James left–yes–but this was just business and nothing else. And look, he helped bring Miami this far. He could have done a lot worse; and he's young and has a long time ahead of him to win a championship. So get over it, Cleveland.”

Yasnel said, “Cleveland needs to man up and stop crying. It's cold and disgusting up there; nothing to do besides freeze. Who wouldn't come to Miami and enjoy the nice weather and beautiful women!”

Tracy Morgan and the limits of comedy

Is it fair to condemn comedian Tracy Morgan for his anti-gay rant? Commentator Roland Martin points out that shock jocks are given a free pass for language that would bring a lawsuit in another context.

Many CNN.com readers said the problem was not so much what Morgan said, but how he said it. Oklahomo said, “I believe most protesters to Morgan's rants were clear about his tone being the issue; it was not joking at all but vile hatred spoken to an ignorant audience that thinks the same way." icka1975 said, "Exactly. It's all in the tone and delivery."

NickV1point0 said, “We're inclined to forgive the material if it's well written and actually makes us laugh. Morgan was plain hatred, pure form, unfiltered by funny. That's why he drew the reaction he did. We don't laugh at pure hate, we laugh if someone can turn that hate into humor."

19random35 said, “I'm a fan of Morgan's work on 30 Rock, but I've always thought his standup was pretty weak. If what he said was reported accurately, it seems pretty awful. I also know that jokes from some of my favorite comedians might look pretty awful on paper, too. But they use devices like irony to ridicule prejudices. It takes a skilled comic to navigate such risky material, and I think Morgan fails in this department."

willyd said, “I find it hard to believe that the person who listened to Morgan and later wrote about it went to the show not knowing what kind of a comedian Tracy Morgan is. I find his routines offensive, as I do those of many other comics. If you don't like it, don't complain to everyone about it. Just don't go."

But Gaucho420 was not so forgiving. "Would Roland find it funny, or acceptable, if a white man said he would lynch his son if he was black?" he asked. "Same difference, loser." Neutronium said, "He said some sick things. He apologized for saying those things. Moving on."

Former transit cop convicted in California subway shooting goes free

A former transit police officer was freed early after being convicted in the shooting death of an unarmed man on an Oakland, California, train platform.  Johannes Mehserle was convicted of involuntary manslaughter - after testifying that he accidentally shot Oscar Grant with a gun instead of a Taser in January 2009 - and was sentenced last year to two years in prison.  He was released Monday because California law gave him good conduct credit for days served.

Mehserle's release apparently revived arguments over whether the killing was an accident and whether Grant was resisting arrest or trying to calm his companions. thomasmc said, "See? Murder is OK, if you're a cop, and your victim is black."

johnnyhouse said, "You did not see the video before it was edited. He was resisting when the cop drew what was supposed to be a Taser. As soon as the cop fired the shot he looked at his partner and could not believe what he had just done. That video was shown first, and Grant was resisting on the original part of the early video. At first the cops started out to get them to move on and it picked up from there to the disaster that happened. No one will ever convince me that this is not the way it happened."

In another exchange, FutureLogic said, "Have you even watched the video? He was clearly subdued, and restrained when the shooting occurred." tkessler45 said, "I saw the video too, and there was a decent amount of commotion going on. As much as it could be seen as blatant murder, it could also be seen as a mistake."

Guest said, “Maybe it was an accident, but then you'd also have to call the cop a moron for not knowing the weight difference between a Glock and a Taser.”

ZooLife2 said, “You're far more likely to get murdered by someone like Grant than you are to get shot by someone like Mehserle. Grant had served two state prison terms for felony convictions.”

AGoodwin said, “Grant was the father of a 4-year-old girl and was considered a peacemaker. Moments before he was shot he was pleading with his friends who were all cuffed up to calm down and be cooperative with police. Grant was seen begging the police officers not to shoot. This is not a man who was out that night to kill or loot.”

1. GokTurk

Hedo Turkoglu is the Miceal Jordan of Earth b1tches!

June 13, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

@Casey Kasem:
    I have not commented on this thread

What *are*you talking about?

June 13, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ed Powers

To be great, James needs humility? Bull.
    I don't remember MJ or Bird being humble?
    To be great in sports you have to have a killer instinct.

June 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yesurstupid

You don't know squat. Jordan and Bird were humble. I watched LeBron's interview last night: I...I...I...I...I...no "we". He's a self-centered, egotistical priiick. He deserved to lose.

June 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • It's Too Late Now

Don't recall either of those quiting their team...and buying into the ESPN circus ratings.

June 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emateo

@Ed.... There is a big difference between arrogant and confident. MJ and Bird were confident yet humble. If you cant see this difference you are probably as arrogant and self-consumed as LeBron Is.

June 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

@Casey Kasem:

Oh, NOW I see....you answered me in another post as 'Fraggle Rock', then copied and pasted it here.

However, your answer is so disjointed and hard to follow, I think the only person who would understand you post is....you.

I am glad that the Mavericks won.

I was not, and never have been, a Miami Heat fan, with or without Mr. James.

June 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Blkbuthappy4White PPl

lol "classic" if u like turk, i luv him; in any event there will be an asain heavyweight ufc champion b4 there is another white finals mvp. ripleys beleive it or not...lol

June 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@Dave:

MJ will *always* be the best!!!

June 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Maria

Miami tried to buy a champion when 12% of Americans are out of work, that is why most do not like Miami or this James guy. Americans like it when folks earn their success. Miami hasn't even earned the respect from their own fans, take care of that first.

June 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Maria

Why did people think Miami was such a great team, I never got that. They are not consistant and the small 3 play ok but nothing to get excited about.

June 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoBe Lady

Um, did YOUR team make it to the NBA finals?

June 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

I don't know about Maria's team, but mine did! BWAHAHAHA! Miami could not deliver. Who has a preseason championship celebration? We stood my our team and it paid off. Great job, Dallas!

June 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Al

Humility....he need all you haters to get off of his jock....deep down inside you hate him cause you cant be him, and you hate him cause he isnt on your team....and moreso, you hate him cause he could buy and sell off your asses.....

June 13, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • hazmatsuits

By your logic, people who hate Lebron also hate every single NBA player not on their team, since that's not true your reasons are bs

June 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony Justin

Total fail of a comment. I had fun with my dislike of LeBron all season. It made the NBA year more enjoyable to root against the Heat. I always have teams that I dislike and teams that I support. That is what is known as following a sport.

June 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lando Colt 45

@Al: All Ii got wuz you wanted Lebron deep down inside you.. You let him borrow da mrs and bring yo crachuh a$$ home a Lebron coconut cream pie huh dawg? Daz what I'm tryin ta holla..

June 14, 2011 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. VoiceOfReason

I'm not a fan of ANYbody, or sports at all. But I get LeBron saying that people have "a personal problem." The public pay hundreds or more for tickets, buy millions in merch, light up the switchboards to rant hours on end. All this generates BillionS, making LeBron and Tiger StooperMillionairres before they even take their 1st pro shot. What does that do to an 18 year old psyche? You expect normal? Then the poor masses root for the guy's demise and he shrugs it off blithely. Yeah... I got mine, saps. And y'all gave it to me. The superstar athletes treat you all like what you are; clueless and insignificant.

June 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. draze

LeBron do your thing. Your Brand is worth more than many NBA franchises. That is not making the big egos feel good. The owner of the Cleveland team bought the team to make money and his #1 Brand (LeBron) left. So he's sour wah wah. Listen folks...You can hate on LeBron as much as you want and talk about being humble. Being humble is a personal decision. In America being humble is not required. Stop trying to make LeBron in to a version of yourself. There is no need for him to be humble. He's on top of the world. As long as his Brand continues to grow, in Basketball or out, he will be fine. He's not you – stop trying to make him into you!!

June 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jason Glugla

It is way too late for the self imposed King to get humility. I wouldn't be surprised if he layed the loss on Wade.

June 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jim

In five years when LeBron has four rings, I'm sure people's tune will change. It always does because we are stupid people.

June 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason Glugla

I see, all of us little people are stupid because we just do our average people things but the King is a genius because he was blessed with great physical gifts.

June 14, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. SoBe Lady

I'm not buying the line that Cleveland fans are simply mad about the way he left. If at the end of The Decision he had announced that he was staying with Cleveland instead, Cleveland fans (and maybe others) would have praised him for being a great guy who raised tons of money for the Boys and Girls Clubs. Lebron had every right to go to another team after he honored his contract with Cleveland. He is not Cleveland's indentured servant.

June 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

I'm not a Cleveland fan, but I am a fan of the game. Seriously, we all get it was a business decision. I applaud him for making a sound business decision for himself. If I were him, I probably would have done the same. I'm pretty sure I would have. It's the way he left that will forever stand as an asterisk to anything he does. I have never liked LeBron. Never. Not from day one. He is beyond arrogant. Humility goes a long way in life.

I understand his reason for skipping college, but time with a seasoned college coach would have served him some good. A good coach would have helped him to develop the maturity he is lacking now. Until he grows up, he will never get a ring.

June 13, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SightSeer

As a man with attributes of class, humility, loyalty, work ethic, and appreciati­on of his good fortune, Nowitzki puts LeBron to shame.

June 13, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • whenkeepnitrealgoeswrong

lebron is way betr than dirk! and Dirk did deserve a championship but the owner of the mavs does not display any of those attributes u named. so the big pic is this.. lebron and dirk are both good they both displayed class and will in the nba finals where amazing happens but lets not forget this ppl are here for basketball and someone had to lose.however dirk has lost alot more playoff games than lebron point blank

June 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |