Weiner to resign after sexting scandal, source says
June 16th, 2011

Weiner to resign after sexting scandal, source says

Rep. Anthony Weiner plans to resign from Congress in the wake of a "sexting" scandal with several women and lies he repeatedly told about it, a Democratic source with knowledge of Weiner's plans said Thursday.

Weiner, 46, was considered a possible front-runner to succeed New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2013 until the revelation of his online communications, including lewd photos of himself he sent to women he befriended on Facebook and Twitter.

Last year, Weiner married Huma Abedin, a longtime aide to Hillary Clinton in the White House, Senate and now in the State Department. Former President Bill Clinton officiated the ceremony, and Abedin is pregnant with the couple's first child.

First elected to the House in 1998 after his political mentor, then-Rep. Chuck Schumer, decided to run for the Senate, Weiner has been a reliable liberal voice for the solidly Democratic 9th District, encompassing parts of Brooklyn and Queens.

Weiner basically ran unopposed in 2006 and 2008 and won by 22 points over his Republican opponent in 2010, easily avoiding the GOP tidal wave that swept over the House.

As a politician, Weiner fully embraced social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook, using the platforms to unleash his comedic take on life and politics.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York • Politics
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I regret that.
    Weiner is a good advocate for those who elected him.

June 16, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Richard in Texas

So sad he was forced out. What at Vitter? When is he going to be forced out ?

June 16, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. DM

Really...you went from talking with someone that was up for Dad of the year to breaking news about a cheating representative. Who cares what happens to him as he deserves everything that's coming. Who cares about his future? What about his poor wife that must be incredibly embarrased. Get to some real news because there has got to be more important things happening in this world besides some idiot sending inappropriate pics.

June 16, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. michaelfury

June 16, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

I knew it was just a matter of time. He may be 46 but has the bi-ceps of a 26 year old. Yea baby give me some sugar. Come on!

June 16, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I shall say it for Jazzzzzzzz: she didn't write that gimme-sugar post.

June 16, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

Yes I did. And if ever I see you I am going to hug you love you and kiss you Joey. No I am not a gay woman as my troll has written. He he.

June 16, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Imglad

Uh oh, now congress will be weinerless, they pretty much already were though.

June 16, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mger

It's very sad that a great representative for the people of his state is being pushed out by the MEDIA. He isn't the distraction from our ongoing crisis in our country! The main stream media and those folks up in DC that are making this more than what it is! Remember we have more important issues at hand! If you can force a man out for this. We the people will make sure that we hold all you folks in DC accountable for all your actions. Remember who elected you!

June 16, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bryan

let it go... after watching for over an hour with absolutely NOTHING but Anthony Weiner coverage, I give up. I'm turning you guys off. I'm interested in what else might be happening in the world. You guys are running this Weiner story into the ground.

June 16, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. jjheinis

Poor Huma Abedin. She has to live with this. Now, Vitter is the man for family values...for someone else.

June 16, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Just sayin'

Buhh bye. Go have a drink with Clinton at the Idiot's Bar & Grill. The Stupid sandwich on rye makes a great lunch.

June 16, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. CSnSC

Dont they have a pill for when a Weiner quits working ?

June 16, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. USArmyOverLord

Well thanks for the entertainment LOL those facebook messages gave me quite a laugh. But you should not fold under the pressure. Do you think you are the only one in Congress who is a freak?!? The others just do a better job of hiding it. 56% of the people say you should stay, sounds like a majority to me.

June 16, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. the Really Annoying Woman in Your Office

For about the 5000th time since this story first broke:

"Ha ha ha! His name is Weiner! He got caught showing his weiner! That's too funny!"

I'm sorry, but I just want this story to go away. I swear I'm going to strangle that woman if she doesn't shut up.

June 16, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |