Gotta Watch: Superheroes
Ryan Reynolds is the latest actor to put on the green tights of "Green Lantern."
June 17th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Superheroes

It’s the summer of the superhero. "Green Lantern" premieres today and it’s the latest in a list of films focused on people with supernatural powers. But superheroes aren’t just on the big screen; they exist in real life, too. You’ve gotta watch the superheroes in our midst.

Ryan Reynolds gets green – The actor puts on the iconic Green Lantern suit in his newest flick. He talks about getting buff for his first superhero role.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/ireports/2011/06/15/natpkg.irpt.green.lantern.cnn"%5D

When crime fighting goes wrong – Seattle has its own self-proclaimed superhero, "The Phoenix." When he broke up a fight, assailants broke his nose and brandished a gun. Police want him to stop "patrolling" before he's seriously hurt.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/01/11/dnt.phoenix.jones.superhero.KOMO"%5D

To be a superhero – One boy gets his dying wish: to become a superhero.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2010/05/01/zahn.wa.make.a.wish.super.komo"%5D

Superhero registry – It's like the yellow pages for superheroes. This league of everyday crime fighters is available online and ready to hit the streets.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2009/04/28/dnt.oh.shadowhare.superhero.wlwt"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Girl Scouts • iReport • Movies • Ryan Reynolds
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

This is a step in the right direction.
    We need to return to a celebration of strength instead of wallowing in an adulation of weakness and failure.

June 17, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • michaelfury

"a celebration of strength"

June 17, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. michaelfury

Miniguns are good clean family fun, aren't they?

June 17, 2011 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jon Pierson

This isn’t the only important news today….

It's the end of days & the beginning of a new world

Hey I hope that everything is going great, can you help me share this message, God's put it on my heart to make sure people know that they have a helping hand during hard times and that religion can cure any and all problems that they have in front of them.

The Message:

It's the end of days. Believe it or not you've been living strong through John the Baptist’s prophecy in Revelations. If you have any questions, you can rely on Christ to provide any answers you need if you haven't received them already, please don’t forget the power of prayer and the strength he can provide for you now that he’s here on earth…..

Read our non profit's full message about living during Revelations at http://www.Lyft.Us or http://www.Lyft.Me

Don’t forget to contact us with any questions you have or any problems you need fixed. Our organization is dedicated to helping people find a Church that’s perfect for them [we can get you free video of any service world wide], or helping to find a charity that they can offer some money or even volunteer time too.

This message and our websites have been created by a prophetic man named Jon Pierson; as he has been aided by Christ and God. He is currently still dealing with attacks from the devil that have created road block's that are getting in the way of his path towards the life he would want to have and his plans to help others out. We look forward to meeting with you and hearing your testimony about what you’ve been through and your plans for the future.

Share this comment/website and earn money towards a donation to your favorite charity or Church[$1.00] just make sure the person contacts us with your email address or phone # in order to retrieve your gift. Our email is HelpMet@Live.com our office phone number is 310 Hyped U1 [497 3381] it’s about being high on life and not drugs or alcohol.]

This was brought to you by Uncommon Love [An organization that was founded by Jonathan]

Visit us at http://www.HelpMet.com and http://www.Commonun.com
    Don’t forget to visit Jon’s Online Journal at ComfortinPrayer.WordPress.com and at YourKoz.com

June 17, 2011 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

And just when did christ return to earth ? I was under the impression that no one would know when he returns until he actually did. I guess you have an inside connection, huh ?

June 17, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Anybody who jumps into that trap is an imbecile.

June 17, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat2u

@ Jon Pierson In my 60 plus years, I've tried many different forms of " organized " religion. You know what I found out ? They're all the same . They all teach basically the same doctrine, but they all have their own special little twist. The thing that really gets me is this. Every one of them says the same thing, ie If you are not baptized into their religion, you won't go to heaven. The only thing I can say all these religions have in common, is that they are all hypocritical. Now let give you a little test of your faith ? Do you believe that every living person on this earth has a hebrew heritage ? If not, why ? I have to assume that you beleive the biblical flood was a worldwide event. During the flood, almost every living creature on this planet was destroyed, with the exception of Noah, his wife, their sons, and their wives. And guess what ? They were all hebrew. I've brought this question up to many Pastors/Priests and was totally shunned, like I was a heretic for asking such a question. Why ? Because I'm asking for a truthfil answer ? So, whatta ya think Jon ?

June 17, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon Pierson - Founder of Uncommon Love [itsuncommon.org]

So Mr.Bobcat, I would suggest that we have an actual conversation, there's no real way to answer your questions unless where talking and I get to see what you know, where' you've been, and what you really want to gain from talking with me. Some people may not really be interested in a serious conversation online, but if you find the right time and place you might actually create a beneficial connection.

One thing I noticed from your post, is that you've been exposed to the idea of religion as a government/culture. Instead I would have you look at it the way I do, as a personal relationship with God, based on the guidance, advice, and wisdom he has directly for you to make your life better. God knows what we need to succeed, he knows what we need to be happy, and he knows what truly brings harm to ourselves and who/what we love. It is through this connection with us that he created the ideas and lessons found within Religion currently. Religion is a way of life, if you find that someone is hypocritical or even that 50% of the people following this way of life are hypocritical, that is more so a calling for you to find a solution for change, or investigation, and not so much a deterrent and what God would want to keep as permanent. If you can follow me I would say that if someone is acting different then they are saying they truly are, then that person is no longer representing the way of life God has for them and they are in need of change, or even chastising. Just because some one follows a religion it doesn't mean that are perfect, or that they will always be "better" then someone who has yet to receive the information God has for them. Although it takes faith(even if God came and spoke to you right now, it would still require faith after because of the power of the imagination and the fact that you can't hold or record the spirit.)

You know the funny thing is that you wanted to test my faith, but despite all of the major lessons and messages God developed for us through signs, and miracles, the biggest accomplishment he has through these is the lesson on faith and what it has been since then.
      Does everyone have Hebrew heritage?
      no but by preserving Israel over all of these years I do think we find proof of our history, proof through common revelation that God did touch this earth in some way in the past, because there are so many people who have passed on through spoken word and text, the true record of history. This is more important then any encyclopedia, or internet storage system, because this is tangible proof through history that at some point God touched this earth, and within the Torah you can find un-adulterated record of what God has done/what we believe God has done.

How do we know men walked on the moon?
      We trust the words from those who work for our government, we trust the records from the witnesses who went up into space, we trust the words of our grand parents and others who saw the live coverage.
      The tape isn't enough, anyone in Hollywood can make a believable recording of an event, it is through preservation and respect for what is being preserved that we are able to truly find proof that our history even exist.

Biblical flood? It’s quite possible, but the major part to take from this is that you won’t find proof and you won’t be able to hold the answer in your hand. It could be that we all came from this family as it restarted, or it could be similar to what happened in Eden, where the lesson for us in Genesis is more metaphorical, and about respecting God’s power and what he can have in store for the earth, if he’s creating the plans. It’s also about having faith, you can’t find the answer, no matter how long you search. It also is more about how difficult it has been for God to change man, yet he can completely change this earth around at will.
      There’s so much proof that it can happen, and that God could do it through the current natural scientific workings of our planet. Look at what scientist have already discovered about Global warming, and how sea levels rise based on the increased temperature near the north and south poles and the melting of the caps.
      God could have added water, or he could have melted all of the ice and watched the earth take it’s natural course to correcting what needed to be frozen, and what needed to become shores, and what needed to then become land.
      Having faith and belief is fun, and it shouldn’t be looked at as some difficult chore that has to happen, it’s the best possible life for you, and Faith is more powerful then any proof or dedicated describable force. It means God can meet you where you currently are or he can grow to meet the belief your able to find, as your able to stretch what you think can be accomplished.

STOP looking at religion as if it was law’s or rules made up by men, and possibly even created by man.
      Within the bible are the words God would have given to you, and in fact I believe he spent years find tuning and custom designing exactly how to reach you. The best way is through his son.
      MY message is about starting the conversation about the devils attack, not that Christ is here already. I believe we are in the middle of Revelations and Christ is still coming soon as a Man child to rule nations. Now we can see how he has been blocked world wide and even in some places within America as people receive false or distorted messages about who God is, and what His son truly has to offer them on earth. I’ve been attacked by the devil day and night since November 2010, whether you want to see the truth in the situation or not, there are forces attacking people all the time right now, and that looks like the war John prophesized. The order in reach the prophecies in Revelations take place also takes careful reading, if you look closely the part where the Dragon descends to earth at war with God is actually the beginning. The kingdoms are what come after as they have to get power from this Dragon after it descends.

Also it’s not you won’t go to heaven it’s more so the road is a lot tougher.
      Being baptized is about knowing and trusting in Christ, and because your following in his direction and trusting in his word, it is impossible for you to fall towards the path of darkness, or towards the lures of hell.

August 28, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. I Mean What

One does not have to go see Green Lantern in order to see that it is a big, waste of time, unless you are 6 years old and like things that light up http://bit.ly/lyuZBF

June 17, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I guess that would depend on the individual veiwer !!! Special effects look like they'll be awesome.

June 17, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Movies and comic books about superheroes are only symbols, not the goal. The mentality that they embody is what made America a great nation, when it was.
    In trying to emulate superheroes, enough of us partially succeeded that our nation prospered.
    "Aim for the stars. You may not reach the stars, but you'll get to the treetops."
    Although the best of us are not content with the treetops, the aspiration to achievement made the average higher.

June 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

That was very well put Joey. We did live a simpler life in days gone by. People just don't look at the bigger anymore. I do remember when or country was known for it's greatness.

June 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ bobcat2U, 10:19 AM:
    You asked a very good question.
    I learned the answer in Sunday School classes of Southern Baptist churches when I was growing up.
    I have been led to share the answer with you.
    If you will send me your address, I'll send you that explanation, along with a FREE, hand-laid-upon, pure-cotton Prayer Handkerchief.
    Be sure to include your Social Security number, and a credit-card number with expiration date, name exactly as it appears on the card, and all of the numbers on the back of the card.
    Have a Blessed Day!

June 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

LOL You just made my day with that. But you forgot to ask for a donation to the cause. After all we do have to account for shipping and handling. But I still wonder why none of these true believers will give me an answer.

June 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

PS:
    I handled poisonous snakes, including three (small) mambas and one king cobra, on Pentecost (Sunday June 12, last).
    We are repeating this service this Sunday, June 19, at 11:00 AM. Should you desire to attend, send your information as I instructed bobcat2U above. Your name will be on the admission list at the door.

June 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I believe I'll take a raincheck on the invite. But if you would, please give the cobra a little snaky kiss for me. Be cool dude.

June 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ bobcat2U:
    If I have your credit card info and Social Security #, you won't need to make a donation. We'll take care of that for you.

June 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My reply was censored.
    If I have all your credit card and Soc. Sec. info for my church, your donations are automatic. Don't worry–He understands.
    I frequently have to take trips to places like Barbados and New Orleans on church business.

June 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

Ok here is the info you requested SS# 666-66-6666 Credit card # 66666666666666. I will be expecting my Free, hand-laid-upon, pure-cotton Prayer Handkerchief as soon as possible. Overnight delivery is acceptable. Please let me know wheni I could expect to receive it. I'm on pins and needles just waiting for it.

June 17, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dumbfounded in iowa

Did I miss something? How did an article about a superhero movie go into a discussion about religion?

June 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dumbfounded in iowa

Since we're on religion though, who or what created god, and wouldn't the thing that created god be god by definition. And if something created god then what created the something that created god and wouldn't IT by definition be god. Oh and if something created something that created god didn't it have to be created by something and wouldn't that something be god by definition.

June 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. james edward gerard fox

please pray to dear god/jesus for me to fully regain health and healing to my mind and body always and to stop satan tempting me for good as well as a tormenting unclean spirit taken out of me for good – amen - please send a prayer hankerchief

james fox
    birchwood res home
    lees new road
    oldham
    england
    ol4 5pp

June 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marlen Abelardo

Woah this weblog is magnificent i love studying your posts. Keep up the good work! You recognize, a lot of persons are hunting around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

December 3, 2011 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |