'Historic step' as U.N. group passes resolution supporting gay rights‎
People celebrate during a gay pride march this month in Strasbourg, France.
June 17th, 2011

'Historic step' as U.N. group passes resolution supporting gay rights‎

In what the U.S. State Department is calling a "historic step," the U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva passed a resolution Friday supporting equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation.

The resolution, introduced by South Africa, is the first-ever U.N. resolution on the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered persons.

It passed with 23 votes in favor, 19 opposed and three abstentions, amid strong criticism of South Africa by some African nations.

Suzanne Nossel, deputy assistant secretary of state for international organizations, told CNN, "It really is a key part in setting a new norm that gay rights are human rights and that that has to be accepted globally."

"It talks about the violence and discrimination that people of LGBT persuasion experience around the world," she said, "and that those issues ... need to be taken seriously. It calls for reporting on what's going on, where people are being discriminated against, the violence that is taking place, and it really puts the issue squarely on the U.N.'s agenda going forward."

Divided opinion continues among some countries about whether the time has come to take up gay rights in the U.N. forum, Nossel said, "so this resolution is really significant as far as gaining widespread support for doing just that."

FULL STORY
  1. random ntrygg

one more step towards making humans rights apply to all humans.

June 17, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. vinny b

For all your hateful people "I was born this way, God makes no mistakes!"

June 17, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Born thatWay

Because God makes no mistakes, that's why they were born that way, or don't you get it yet!

June 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Paul the pervert

I was born this way too. God doesn't make trash they say. So I am as clean in God's eyes as sodomites are, given that logic.

June 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom in ATL

Yes, clean in GOD's eyes... ONLY IF you repent of your sinful behavior. He never said, "Do whatever you want and I'll welcome you into heaven." GOD hardens the hearts of those who won't repent, and their (your) destiny is NOT heaven. Turn your heart over to GOD, repent of your sinful behavior (yes, it is sinful in His eyes), and He will transform you, redeem you, and welcome you into His Kingdom forever.

June 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mindlayr

I'd rather die than spend eternity with such close minded people as you. Good luck with your imaginary friend.

June 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Why would someone need to repent? All I hear from the churches I attend is that someone needs to accept Jesus as their savior and they are in.

June 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KRICKET

Why do all those sick people try to tell that they are not sick and want to be treated as such.

June 17, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

well, maybe you just like denying your sickness

June 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Muddy Butt marvin

God made my butt muddy for a reason they say.

June 17, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rum Dumb

Somehow I didn't think that the UN was formed to dictate morality to the nations of the world, this is part of the reason why we have so much strife in the world today, they are like the nosey neighbor across the street.

June 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mindlayr

It is about treating people fairly and with respect. You have been trained by your cult to disrespect people who don't believe what you believe because if you do your cult won't be able to control you anymore.

June 17, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pan3

yeah for the U.N.! Equal rights for all humans!

June 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Godlovesme

If anyone these days is so ignorant to believe anything that is written in the bible is truly lost and ignorant. Get a life. God loves me, so go ?%#@ yourself.

June 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Muddy Butt marvin

God loves me too! I don't think he enjoys watching me get my muddy butt unclogged though.

June 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

So God wants you to be constipated? Religion is weird.

June 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lairbear

Absolutely no way will the African nations and the Middle East accept this decision.
    Gays will still be hated as usual in them thar parts of the world. Yes, I’m a redneck.
    It's a pity there is so much hatred in the name of Gawd in this world.

June 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ben

What is the fastest way to be a non-credible source?

Comment on internet articles with your heart instead of your head, driven by your heart.

June 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Royal Canadian Mounty

Real knee-slapper there rick. Just because my horse was born gay doesn't mean it rubbed-off on me. My saddle blanket is made out of latex rubber.

June 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lairbear

Markus,
    I agree 100%, keep certain things away from children…They have formative years to experience and enough trials to go through.
    But, as an adult, please do as you want…Some inappropriate behavior/things (no puns) should be kept away from the kids.

June 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

When did children come into this? Did I miss something?

June 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Examine YourselfFirst

Isn't it something to see so many idiots huffy and puffy about the newly passed U.N. resolution supporting G-ay rights! That just goes to show the degree of compassion they bring to the table for people, or lack of. Hold on, you might have a family member or relative from that group, or...or maybe there are hidden wants and desires within too! So, why so against it? Think about it.

June 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. james young

I am a Christian god judges you but it up to us to encourage what's right and not wrong

June 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |