June 18th, 2011

E Street saxophonist Clarence Clemons dies

[Updated at 10:30 p.m ET] Legendary rock saxophonist Clarence Clemons died Saturday of complications from a stroke, bandmate Bruce Springsteen said. He was 69.

Clemons had played sax in Springsteen's E Street Band off and on since 1972.

"Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage," Springsteen said in a statement.

"His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly 40 years. He was my great friend, my partner and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Music
  1. Tracy

What a gentle and kind and talented soul. Love you Big Man!

June 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jersey horn player too

Catch you someday, on the dunes, till dawn.

June 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marc

I didn't know Clarence Clemons until he partnered with Lady Gaga, but his music is wonderful! R.I.P.!

June 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ZingizBack

I loved The Big Man!!!! Very sad that he went way before his time.

June 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jeepster455

This is sad news. Thank you, CC, for your wonderful gift of music. Now you can play for the angels...RIP Big Man.

June 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jim

Go Clarence softly into the night.....

June 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ZingizBack

Can we at least get a picture of The Big Man, CNN?

June 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sheila and Neil

"Big Man"...thank you for so many amazing, awesome years of your music....we have LOVED listening to your talent this past 30+ years. May you rest in eternal peace and know you made a HUGE difference in the lives of MANY people. We have LOVED listening to your talent. xoxo

June 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark J

RIP and thanks for the music

June 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike M

Circa 1983 I caught a People Express Airlplane in Newark to Houston, TX. The Big Man was on the plane with his band. Totally enjoyable small venue concert at the Austin Opra (sp?) House. Saw dozens of E Street Band shows. Have been and will be my favorite band. Clarence, prayers for your family and friends. Here's hoping you made a decision about the hereafter and that you were right.

June 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rosieT

GoodNight Clarence! You brought us joy with your Sax! NJ Will never be the same . Rest in Peace Main Man!! Your Passing will be felt all over the world. I am so glad that I had the honors of seeing and hearing you play . Farewell Masetro of the Sax! There will be no other.!

June 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jersey Girl

I just heard the news and all I can do is cry. Clarence was part of my childhood-listening to Bruce and the E Street Band made me feel like nothing else in the world mattered. The Big Man is now playing sax for the Big Guy in the sky. He was the best sax player anywhere-he had a unique style and sound to his playing that you could pick up sometimes if you listened really hard. I will miss that music-and the man-the world will never be the same......

June 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ...

No idea who this guy was..

June 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • RealTime

You should ask your parents to let you out of your room once in awhile.

June 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jared Mysko

WAAAAAAIIIITTTTT A SECOND! He died at the same time this was posted:::: via Saturday Night Online ""What do you think of Lady Gaga's video for "The Edge pf Glory"??? LOVE IT? HATE IT? VOTE!"" "E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons makes an appearance in the clip" from Facebook about an hour ago.

Something does NOT seem right here. Especially the fact that CNN doesn't mention that he toiled with the queen of evil, the devil's sidekick, least popular disgusting dirty crotch showing Germanian Nazi fakely named gaga? ya. po'd

Is this another celeb murder? Covered up by the press? For money?

June 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Doug Ericson

I think Clarence was a big a part of the Springsteen Band as Bruce himself. Clarence matched Bruces huge talent with his immeasurable soul. It was like watching a little kid playing with his brand new fire truck on Christmas Morning every time he played. Thank you Clarence. Doug.

June 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |