Eight more U.S. counties named to White House drug-trafficking list
The White House says High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas help coordinate police efforts to combat drug use and production.
June 20th, 2011

Eight more U.S. counties named to White House drug-trafficking list

New York's, Washington's and Atlanta's federally designated drug-trafficking zones just got a little bigger.

They're called High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas, to be exact, and they're designed to regionally coordinate law enforcement efforts to tackle issues such as drug production, distribution, chronic use and money laundering. Local, state and federal agencies operating in HIDTAs receive extra equipment, technology and other resources to combat drug trafficking.

Approximately 16% of the nation's counties - encompassing a whopping 60% of the population - fall within one of the 28 HIDTAs, according to the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

You can now add the following to the list: Orange County, New York; Mendocino County, California; Porter County, Indiana; Harford County, Maryland; Lexington and Richland counties, South Carolina; and Putnam and Mercer counties, West Virginia.

Border and port cities compose the majority of the HIDTAs, and some areas may cover multiple states. New York and New Jersey are in the same HIDTA, for instance, and Atlanta's HIDTA extends to North Carolina.

"Close collaboration with our federal, state, local, and tribal partners is a critical component of our efforts to reduce both the demand and supply of drugs," ONDCP Director Gil Kerlikowske said in a statement. "By designating these counties as HIDTAs, we will create a powerful catalyst for cooperation among federal, state, local and tribal agencies working to make our communities healthier and safer.”

Comprehensive efforts to address drug-related issues over the last three decades have resulted in an American drug use rate that is about half of what it was in the late 1970s, according to the statement. The Obama administration, it said, has committed more than $10 billion to drug-education programs and treatment for addicts, and more than $9 billion to law enforcement efforts.

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • California • Crime • Drug violence • Drugs • Indiana • Maryland • New York • Politics • South Carolina • U.S. • West Virginia
  1. Ever Vigilant

Drug dealers, users, anyone having it in their possession know it's illegal, so save the billions in fed moneys and just shoot 'em all...ends the problem ..and they'll understand that. If there's a god, them let Him deal with 'em!

June 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

I believe at one time China executed people for the possession of drugs and soon their opium problem ceased. We do all of our wars half heartedly so as not to offend anyone.

June 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

What an unbelievably unintelligent answer.

June 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • liz

I think you should be shot with that kind of an opinion.

June 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • twirtzy

Interesting....

What do you have against a realistic approach?

June 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nobody N. Particular

You must believe that the government NEVER make a mistake, and that these raids are legit, you are a @$#! moron. That is why the Founding Father said, innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY in a COURT of LAW, they knew not to trust the government. To the other idiot why claimed it worked in China, guess what, it DIDN'T, there is still wide spread addiction in China, the government just hides it better.

June 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

You're either a troll or an extremely dangerous person. I'll take my chances any day with my neighbor smoking a joint versus having you live on my block. Ponder this Ever Vigilant, do you ever worry about all these druggie types hunting you down and administering your brand of justice towards you once this "war on drugs" is abandoned(it's coming you know)? Maybe you ought to.

June 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • wALT

CHINA STILL DOES THIS! IT DOESN'T WORK!

June 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • akiva

ur a moron and the reason america is in the crapper, yes govt please keep spending billions of dollars a year fighting this losing battle

June 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve harnack

With as many drug users as there are, if you really want to save money, let's just shoot all of the people who DON'T use drugs. They don't want to have any fun anyway and since they're probably christians they'll just meet their maker a little sooner than they expected to.

June 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete H

Unintelligent? Moreso than letting drugs destroy millions of lives every year? Moreso than letting drugs create a fertile environment for crime, which is destroying America one town at a time? I don't know about where you live, but there are WAY too many houses in my town with bars on their windows. Funny; the ACLU and "Supreme" Court see nothing cruel or inhumane about that. But you're right; we shouldn't be "shooting them all." Instead, bring back public hangings. You can re-use a rope...

June 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

come and get us, big mouth

June 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

What a waste of our national resources. The only intelligent and economically viable solution is to make (currently "illegal"/prohibited) drugs legal and then treat (not incarcerate) those who can't stop taking the drugs. Cannabis should be legalized and sold in the same way we sell that other drug – alcohol – right now. This "war against drugs" is completely unwinnable but our government will only do the intelligent thing if we write our congress-people and tell them how we want this handled. Until that time, we'll continue to waste our valuable resources – our young people and our money.

June 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pat

This headline should read, "White House Identifies 8 More Way To Waste Money"

June 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. think

I say legalize certain drugs and tax the hell out of it. Drugs have been apart of – society for generations,time has proved you can not surpress drug use,manufactoring,or distribution as a whole. Ive never tried drugs nor been around them this is simply my opion

June 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mortal issues

can't legalize illegal drugs....it goes again damn religious "values" like when they lost the "war against alcohol"... oh, i know they KNOW there is big $$$ legalize illegal drugs, they've found ways to get into the pot...

June 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AdamAdam

This is terrible,.... I'm going to go get drunk.

June 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. liz

If drugs were legalized and taxed heavily, most of the people who buy them wouldnt be able to afford them anyway....no "war" necessary. And we would actually MAKE money.

June 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

The people that cant afford their addictions will just mug people for the money.

June 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • miptrooper

Then we become the "pushers."

June 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SmokeaJoint

Better put British Columbia Canada on your drug list, it produces the best grade pot in North America and is B.C.'s second highest cash crop. B.C. bud is doing fine in your war on drugs, keep it up Merican morons, making alot of Canadians rich, tax free!

June 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. justsaynow

It's the alcohol trafficking I'm worried about!

June 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MJB

The whole state of Ariz is a drug trafficing zona. Do we see our government plugging the hole at our borders.
    NOOOOOOOOO!

June 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. San Jose

The money that would come from the taxes could be used for rehab centers.

June 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. think

The reason drugs were made "illegal" in the first place was due in part the government had no control. They wernt receiving revenue they thought was owed to them.

June 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

Not sure where some of you on here get your ideas. Some drugs are illegal because of the fact they mess with your brain, you could end up having horrifying hallucinations and end up killing others because of those hallucinations. Not sure I want to be around these people who are having bad trips – there are enough mentally unstable people on this planet without letting everyone mess with drugs. Religion-bashers aside, I think drugs should be illegal because they basically ruin a lot of people's lives and make them do some terrible things due to the irreversible brain-changes they cause.

June 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

Jules: Same thing applies to alcohol. Are you looking for a return to alcohol prohibition?

June 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

Jules-Please do some real research as to the effects of drugs and stop relying upon comic book G-Men for your information sources. There's only one street drug I'm aware of that causes the kind of symptoms and behavior you just described and that's alcohol(long term use, abuse). There are drugs out there that are just as dangerous as you describe but I believe just about all of them are manufactured legally by the pharmaceutical companies and prescribed by your doctor.

June 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Don't legalize drugs.
    Keep the prisons ready.
    Imagine the results:
    "Yes, Judge, I'd dropped legal acid when I killed my family, but I paid federal and state taxes on the purchase. I was under the influence of a government-sanctioned substance."

June 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve harnack

I guess that it's a good thing that nobody ever gets drunk and kills somebody. People might think that the alcohol had something to do with it.

June 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

Joey you seem to be a real resident expert on this subject. Can you direct all the readers to some specific incident of killing ones' family while on "acid". Hint: Charles Manson doesn't count, please be a little more current. Also I don't suppose one can just be prosecuted for murder without reference to drugs. If that's the case you really need to research how often alcohol appears at the scene of violent crimes, might make you want to put that wine glass down or does your disgust apply to alcohol???

June 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Amy

Why not legalize pot, keep the others out. I'm not one for drugs but if it would stop all the fighting and people dying to sell it then why not. Tax the heck out of it like others have said, let's recoup some of our losses. Farmers woudld make money, store owners (dealers)would make money, fed & state would make money and people wouldn't be killing for it I believe that is a win, win, win, for all around. Keep the coke, crack, meth, op, and any other drugs illegal.

June 20, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Send dealers to prison for life without parole, if you're so opposed to the death penalty.
    I think that China's use of death for opium dealers was a good idea: can one buy opium there now?

June 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve harnack

Yes, of course. Read a book Joey.

June 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

Hey Joey bet you didn't know that your Grandmother use to grow opium poppies in her garden as an affordable analgesic back in the days of the depression and before. Course that was before Officer Bob showed up with his SWAT team, hope she wasn't too badly hurt!

June 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • gingersrule1

You would see me hung for what I do? All I do is sell pot for cheaper prices than anyone around. I'm not ruining peoples lives. We are in a recession and people like me are being affected by it because there has been a huge increase in home invasions here. I recently had over $1000 stolen from me. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I know one thing for sure. I know who took it and I'm not going to get it back because I don't steal. You need to go tell my family you wish to see me hung for this. You my fine young sir are the problem. And soon you will get yours.

June 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |