June 20th, 2011

FIFA VP facing ethics probe resigns

World soccer's governing body FIFA have confrmed that vice president Jack Warner has resigned from his position within the organization.

Last month Trinidadian Warner, along with fellow-FIFA member Mohammed bin Hammam, were provisionally suspended by FIFA's Ethics Committee, pending the outcome of an investigation of corruption allegations against them.

But, following Warner's resignation, that investigation will now not take place.

A FIFA statement read: "His resignation has been accepted by world football's governing body, and his contribution to international football and to Caribbean football in particular are appreciated and acknowledged."

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Soccer
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I taught you liked my mom.

June 20, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. CSnSC

Even the ACP troll was more creative than those posts

June 20, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. pmk1953

Since one of the corrupted officials resigned, we really don't want to know what went on. We don't want to draw attention to us.

June 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. opeyemi

a. Was the President of Federal Republic of Nigeria ever a member of FIFA Board of Directors?
    b. If his Excellency was not, what story connects him with the FIFA story?
    c. If there was nothing that connects him with FIFA corruption scandal/ resignations, why was his photograph brought with this story?
    d.Was it for the sake of mischief?
    e. Was CNN brought by his enemies to rubbish him?
    f. Was it done out of spite and racism
    g. Is CNN immune to all criminal proceedings worldwide

June 21, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. opeyemi

I am a Nigerian by Nationality and a supporter of the President and a member of the People's Democratic Party of Nigeria. Therefore, I have a locus standi in this matter. I am a lawyer by proffession. I was called to the English bar in June 1961 9i.e 50 years ago).
    I watched the above mentioned news coverage on FIFA and JACK WARNER'S resignation arising from corruption scandal which you aired throughout Monday 20th June 2011 every 30 minutes.
    Each time you aired the news, you showed JACK WARNER'S photograph beside the photograph of HIS EXCELLENCY DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. When the BBC aired the same news Monday 20 June 2011, only the photograph of JACK WARNER was shown. The photograph of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria was never shown.
    I would like to know from the CNN the following information

June 21, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ambassador Chief.C.D.Orike

I am a Nigerian by Nationality and a supporter of the President and a member of the People’s Democratic Party of Nigeria. Therefore, I have a locus standi in this matter. I am a lawyer by profession. I was called to the English bar in June 1961 (i.e 50 years ago).
    I watched the above mentioned news coverage on FIFA and JACK WARNER’S resignation arising from corruption scandal which you aired throughout Monday 20th June 2011 every 30 minutes.
    Each time you aired the news, you showed JACK WARNER’S photograph beside the photograph of HIS EXCELLENCY DR GOODLUCK JONATHAN, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. When the BBC aired the same news Monday 20 June 2011,only the photograph of JACK WARNER was shown. The photograph of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria was never shown.
    I would therefore like to know from the CNN the following information:
    a) Was the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria at any time a member of the FIFA Board of Directors?
    b) If HIS EXCELLENCY was not, what is it that connects him now with the FIFA story?
    c) If there is nothing that connects him with the FIFA corruption scandal/ resignations, why is it that his photograph was brought in with the story.
    d) Was it for the sake of mischief?
    e) Was the CNN bought by his enemies to rubbish him?
    f) Was it done out of spite and racism?
    g) Is the CNN immune from civil or criminal proceedings worldwide?

I shall be grateful to have your answers as your broadcast. If not substantiated with good defence amounts to seditious libel. But if there is none then, i demand an unreserved apology with equal publicity.

June 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Stella Amata

haba cnn,

i was equally shocked when i saw our dear President being shown along with the former FIFA VP, and i wondered why it was so. i think it was in bad shape, cnn, you owe nigeria and nigerians an unreserved apology. do it fast pls

June 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |