If N.Y. bill passes, over 11% of Americans would be eligible for same-sex marriage
Opponents of a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in New York gathered in the state capitol building Monday.
June 20th, 2011

Should New York become the sixth state to grant same-sex marriage licenses, it would more than double the U.S. population eligible to enter such a union.

Five states - Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire - and the District of Columbia currently grant same-sex marriage licenses. The combined population of those states and D.C. is 15,712,015, according to figures from the U.S. Census Bureau for 2010.

The New York state Senate passed the same-sex marriage bill on Friday. It will go to Gov. Andrew Cuomo for his signature.

With the official U.S. population at 308,745,538, that means 5.08% of the population of America is eligible - upon meeting a state's age and other legal requirements - to marry a person of the same sex.

New York's population in the 2010 census is 19,378,102. With same-sex marriage legal in New York, that would more than double the number of people eligible to 35,090,117.

That means 11.37% of the U.S. population would then be living in a state that grants same-sex marriage licenses.

Here are the 2010 population figures for the five states and District of Columbia:

Connecticut - 3,574,097
District of Columbia - 601,723
Iowa - 3,046,355
Massachusetts - 6,547,629
New Hampshire - 1,316,470
Vermont - 625,741

Post by:
Filed under: New York • Same-sex marriage
  1. Mateo

This squabbling is whether or not we want all Americans to have the same legal rights. However I'm a sucker for listening to this cr*p. For the ignorant who insist on saying it's a lifestyle, I would just say all left handed people should change their lifestyle as well. Get it?

June 21, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeremy

Lets hope that New York brings a new chapter of "Freedom" to America on Tuesday

June 21, 2011 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

There is no reason for anybody to get married in a church.
    There is no God.
    Funerals could be held in a cemetery auditorium as well as at a church.
    The body will go the samr place: into the ground to rot.
    Everything good in life is here.
    There is no pie in the sky after you die.
    There is no "afterlife."
    If you don't do well in this life, you don't get another chance: you missed youn chance.
    There is absolutely no reason to believe in the real existence of any deity, although they make pretty concepts for statues.
    It's all bulls-
    hit and a con job to get your money.

June 21, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Smith

Say what you want but gay marriage does destroy a real marriage. Two of them gays got married next door to me and next thing ya know I was beating on my wife silly. I dun told her it was them gays that made me do it.

June 21, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. neguys

I am proud to say this is inevitable !! eventually it will be 100% of americans......stay strong my Gay brothers & sisters....its coming ...the younger generation has no problems with this eventually fact....once these older straight bible twisting relics pass on.....

June 21, 2011 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I respect many persons who post here.
    I have no respect for some who post here.
    I can respect you enormously without respecting your religious beliefs.
    Any belief that God exists is in error.
    I believe in TRUTH.
    I do not believe in God.
    Truth, yes.
    Respect, yes.
    Love, yes.
    God, no.
    There is no God.

June 21, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

It's time now for gay marriage.
    The greatest obstacle to gay rights is religion.
    Don't even give religious people the possibility that God might exist: that's what they fight you with.
    There is no God.
    Now argue against gay marriage.
    Don't lie: argue with facts.
    God did not die: God never was.

June 21, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. J

its 2011, get over it guys, gay is not a choice or a crime, you don't like it......so what....we don't like hate, but we do try to put up with all the hater's because we have to.......in NO way does a gay couple being able to be married and happy affect you unless you are so unsure of yourself that you just wonder.....hmmmm........look up the numbers, gay's are better parents in most cases and make more money and do more to support education......oh yea, and we went to college......

June 21, 2011 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Isn't it time for somebody to recite the Eighth Psalm?
    "When I consider the heavens..."
    Well, I consider the heavens.
    They're pretty.
    Nice lights and reflections.
    There is no God up there.
    I don't know how the lights happened to be.
    That certainly is not a rational argument for the existence of a deity that made them.

June 21, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. suzi

I am in Canada and i was engaged to a woman but the relationship did not work out,,but what i am trying to say is that i had to opportunity to marry my love of my dreams ( I am a woman ).I hope one day Americans can have the same joy as i had.
    I am here for you all my brothers and sisters,, <3

June 21, 2011 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Stop giving people "God" to beat you with!

June 21, 2011 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Make them take the Bible out of the argument.

June 21, 2011 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

There is no God!

June 21, 2011 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Screw the judicial precedent.
    Rosa Parks violated the law.
    This law is based on the Bible, too.
    Screw the Bible.
    Screw God: He doesn't exist.

June 21, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
    • SHCO

JustAGuy – Well said. Similar to "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

June 21, 2011 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |
    • major

And whats the Gay population of the United States about 5 %

June 21, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. JustAGuy

I find it interesting to see so many black people in the above picture identified by the caption as opponents to the law. If it were 1950, they sure wouldn't be able to oppose to anything. So sad how history is so quickly forgotten and the feeling of suffering for one minority make way for oppression of another.

June 21, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
    • joe

they chose to be black the same way you choose to like guys. oh wait, they never chose to be black, silly me.

June 21, 2011 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |