Flood risk prompts evacuations in Minot, North Dakota
Floodwater from a rising Souris River approaches a home in Minot, North Dakota.
June 21st, 2011

Flood risk prompts evacuations in Minot, North Dakota

[Updated at 9:03 p.m. ET] Authorities have ordered the evacuation of some 12,000 people from the city of Minot, North Dakota, and surrounding areas because of expected record flooding, officials said Tuesday.

The swollen Souris River flows straight through the city and is expected to overwhelm area levees, said Cecily Fong, spokeswoman for the North Dakota Department of Emergency Services. Minot, located in the north central part of the state, is the fourth-largest city in North Dakota.

The evacuation order covers between a quarter and a third of the city's population, Fong said. Residents have until 6 p.m. CT Wednesday to leave their homes.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Flooding • North Dakota • Weather
  1. Steph

Thanks CNN for finally giving Minot some coverage, but you're about 24 hours late with this news, and 12 hours after other news outlets. I guess I should just be happy ND got coverage at all, since you reported on a MO town of 300 getting evacuated......

June 21, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ND Expat

Shouldn't you be sandbagging instead of being passive aggressive on a CNN comment board?

June 21, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steph

I would if i could, but I'm also a ND Expat.

June 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

I live in Omaha and we have flooding...Where is my coverage? Get overself already the world does not revolve around you!

June 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

With all due respect Bill, you are comparing apples to oranges. Minot is located in a relatively narrow valley, whereas Omaha is located on a long flat plane. The entire midwest is experiencing widespread flooding, but a quarter of Minot homes will be covered in water. You want a focal point for media coverage on the flooding, then Minot is the place. The sword stroke will fall the hardest there, and the people living there know it is going to be catastrophic, unlike the situation in Omaha.

June 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. openupyoureyes

I know this is breaking news, but maybe at least a google maps link to Minot, ND or to the CNN news affiliate in the area?

June 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MACOWBOY2

You were warned–media...............philosophical12b@newsvine.com. 2009, it was suggested that Obama engage FEMA to organize statewide flood abatement projects to jump start the economy, lower the unemployment and to remove Insurance industry from determining how flood disasters are handled. You in the NSA, who stole those posts by those in the media and Homeland Stupidity (Security–ha) own each death and each tear shed by these innocent people across the Midwest. I hope you sleep well tonight–California aquaduct like projects could have not only brought unemployment down, but could have stimulated land ownership as construction crews tend to "settle" unsettled territories. Too bad. Stupid Morons in government made politics more important than human lives.

June 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MACOWBOY2

If I were the people in Minot, I'd look to my Governor and local politicians and ask, "what ever happened to faith in God and planning for the best, but preparing for the worste?" Insurance in America has GOT to be brought to its knees, as it has replaced the need to prepare, by believing that we are somehow safe from "intelligence" so long as there is a policy for sale that allows to be stupid. We knew for decades that New Orleans was in trouble and most people in all states, know the areas prone to flooding............................................construction projects are not superfluous, but rather create jobs to provide incomes for consumption–"Demand". With employment, comes the demand for the things the "Rich" make or offer which made them rich to beginwith. Again, the stupid lead the innocent off the cliffs of carelessness and faithlessness. May God help those in Minot and elsewhere.....................as much of these problems were avoidable with simple community unity and common sense.

June 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gyles

for anyone saying to sandbag. we are far past the point where that will help for the majority of the evacuated area (unprecedented amounts of water)

and since cnn didnt post it, news is being updated constantly by our local cbs affiliate, kx news, (KXnet.com, and KXnewsminot on facebook)

June 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. E

Be well

June 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. brenda

Sandbagging?soooo far from that helping. Its not a matter of "if" @ this point...it's when! Water is going to be released that will flood the residents of minot. They have no option or prevention measure @ this point! So, instead of giving someone grief for razzing on CNN...try walking in their shoes. Just like the water...stress and frustration are emerging!

June 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ND Expat

I was born and raised in Fargo and I've seen firsthand the devastation that floods and harsh winter weather cause statewide annually. I think I've done enough walking in their shoes, thanks.

June 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Darrel

Been to Minot many times. My sympathies with the residents. They'll be rebuilding of course. Good and tough people. Air Force will help. Big base there. Good luck

June 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SilverHair

Again, most of the country and government cares less about states with only 3 electoral votes. If this happened in Crawford, TX, well .......

June 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

I hope nothing but the best for the people who live there but if you slam your fingers in the car door on purpose, or you live in ND on purpose, I can't feel sorry for you.

I'll say a prayer and put them on my churches prayer list.

June 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoWay

Should have stayed and white-knuckled it. Great Norwegian lutefisk.

June 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brain dead angry tea party thingy

It's Obama's fault

June 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BBof

Our prayers are with you. I have a lot of relatives in that area and they are wonderful people. Be safe!

June 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mullen

I grew up in Minot. We had a massive flood in the 60s, 68 I think, , no loss of life however.
    Our house was on the river bank. Most people at that time called the Souris River the Mouse River. That flood was featured in National Geographic that year. Most of the town was under water. My thoughts are with the people of Minot,
    Good Luck.

June 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. brenda

Ru kidding me??u know what?? What goes around comes around. U say ur glad u left this state? Well I'm glad u did too...obviously u didn't fit in. North dakotans pride themselves on brotherhood and hospitality...something I'm SURE u experienced living in this GREAT state! Oh yeah....and we also have the lowest crime rate...along with the lowest unemployment in the nation. And did I mention we are among only a handful with a surplus in our budget??? Glad ur gone buddy...

June 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ND Expat

Brenda, you are an absolute delight.

June 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Sure. Whatever you got to say to make yourself feel better. There is a reason people are leaving there and not just me. No one should put up with that unless they are suckers for punishment. I was working 88 hrs straight during the GF flood in 97 hauling clean water to shelters. I was successful, had a business in Bismarck and a cabin too.

Whatever.

June 21, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Every state would have a budget if there were craters in the road like the ones I saw in 08 when i was there. There is a billion in road work.

I have friends who need to go to Minneapolis to get treated for a cancer every state in the union has multiple place to go. Your crack doctors missed my MS by 15 years.

Like I said, whatever you need to do to convince yourself working that much harder for 40 years where it can be done anywhere else in 20 – go for it.

June 21, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lisa

Where is FDR! We need a man like that!

June 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |