Overheard on CNN.com: Sympathy and scorn for Dunn
"Jackass" star Ryan Dunn died in a car accident early Monday.
June 21st, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Sympathy and scorn for Dunn

Comment of the day:

“Congratulations to all the trash talkers! You are now officially...Jacka$$es! How does it feel?” –Vivalabetsy

More than a 'Jackass'

Ebert makes anti-drunk driving tweet

The death of Ryan Dunn, one of the stars of MTV's "Jackass" films and TV series, in a car crash on a Pennsylvania highway early Monday has ignited a public debate— thanks in part to film critic Roger Ebert, who tweeted, “Friends don’t let jackasses drink and drive.” So was Dunn a reckless stunt man who died in a fiery crash that could have been avoided or a man who simply and tragically died too young?

CNN.com readers were divided.

thekissinger said, “My, aren't we quick to condemn with so few facts. A person has died, his family and friends care right now, and anything else we type should be with those thoughts in mind.” parise said, “Fact: he posted pictures of himself drinking before he drove home. Fact: alcohol inhibits ability to drive.” M0reHuman said, “Fact: He posted a picture of himself with ONE drink. According to current state laws that is legal.” amcdonal86 said, “FACT! His car was completely mangled in a way that only a 100+ mph crash could cause!” Kayakker98 said, “Opinion: He looks hammered in the pic.” mmmikey responsed, “Parise.....pictures of him drinking WHAT? What was in the cup? Do you know? Of course you don't. Ignorant is as ignorant does.”

radgast said, “Most here have driven over the drinking limit, few could say otherwise, whether speed, drinking, or bad luck. His death and the other death are unfortunate and if he could speak I am certain his life would be the last of the concerns when thinking about his passenger and family he left behind.”

norcalmojo asked, “What are you expecting? Adulation? The guy was famous for being an idiot and will now be a little more famous for dying an idiot. If the fact that he's a Darwin award upsets you, wipe your nose. If it makes you feel any better, he died an entertainer. I laughed when I read the story. I laughed again at the fools trying to memorialize him. If you don't want to be remembered for being an idiot, don't make it your profession.”

rsknnp said, “Just because Ryan MAY have made a poor choice does not make his death any less sad. It's still a loss to his friends, to his family, and to the people who enjoyed his humor and appreciated the laughter he brought into the world. I wish they would have added why he was on Minute to Win it with Steve-o. They were both on the show to split the winnings and donate it to their respective charities for children.

If doing one bad thing or making one poor choice completely cancels out every other good thing a person has done, then every human on this earth is a waste of space because everyone out there has done something wrong. RIP Ryan Dunn.”

Aetna7011 said, “To make the jump from "he was having a drink with buddies" to "HE WAS DRIVING DRUNK AND KILLED AN INNOCENT PERSON AND IS A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING" is a massive exercise in conjecture and ultimately idiocy.”

russpro82 said, “Even after two beers your reaction time is slowed down. That coupled with excessively high speeds is a recipe for disaster. It's pretty sad and I feel for his family and friends (I had a close friend drive drunk and die in a car accident, so believe me....I know). But let's not forget he killed his passenger too.”

tmac1987 said, “Regardless if he partook in idiotic pranks or not, the point remains that Ryan Dunn is dead. He died at a very young age, and he had much more life to live. Maybe he was intoxicated or maybe not, we can speculate until the end of time. Remember people, we are all human, and one day our number will be called. Ryan lived his life to the fullest. He made people laugh! How many people can say they made an impact on someone’s life?”

Bring them home, Mr. President

President Barack Obama will address the nation Wednesday night to discuss a plan that would pull 30,000 “surge” forces out of Afghanistan by the end of 2012, beginning in July. But many CNN.com readers were skeptical about the plan being executed, said the number of troops coming home wasn’t enough or believe that Obama has merely begun campaigning.

CWMessenger said, “I will end the wars and bring our troops home in 2009...2010...2011...2012. Lots of empty promises is what I see.” TheFinalWerd said, “I heard endpoints too....during campaigning, during his election speech, during his midterm report and now during his campaign for re-election.”

Slag asked, “”Didn't Obama say he would be out of Libya in days, not weeks and we were only there to establish a "no fly zone"? Now I'm supposed to believe this..........really?” But TTHa responded, “We are technically "out" of Libya. We are strictly operating as a support role for the European forces. Our Armed Forces are not on Libyan lands nor flying over Libyan lands. (Drones not counting.)"

Puzzled77 said, “Please Mr. Obama. Bring all the troops home now. It’s been so long.” MatarLaRaza said, “What about the "other" 70,000?” franx asked, “Why not pull out completely? Pointless war, especially now that Osama's dead. One guaranteed way a Republican could steal my vote would be an 'end the war' stance. That'll never happen.”

CmmnSnsRulz responded, “Ron Paul has an ‘end all wars’ stance and 24 years on Congressional record of backing it up.”

Liberal212 said, “Obama's troop pullout = 2012 election gimmick.” gravitas73 said, “Too little too late, pal. You've already lost my vote. This is a political play and I'm not buying into it.” SFactory said, “Obama on the campaign trail as usual – unless he is on vacation." But crazyutahn said, “Anyone who says Obama is doing this for the polls think about this. If he wanted to be re-elected, he would have waited to kill Osama bin Laden until right before election time. Too bad none of you Republicans remember George Bush pulling that with Saddam Hussein.”

Some readers said they support Obama’s plan.

IanA1 said, “At last, a President that has actual entry and endpoint goals. You can't run a strategy without such.” MollyBee said, “President Obama is doing well over there in the huge mess created when Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld went berserk over WMDs that didn't exist.” opus512 said, “No matter what Obama does or when he does it, critics will use it against him. Even when he does something they support, they'll still criticize him for it. Going too far, not going far enough, the only thing that matters is Obama is the one doing it.”

New cigarette labels

Nine graphic cigarette warning labels were unveiled Tuesday by the Food and Drug Administration, part of the agency's sweeping new powers to regulate tobacco and tobacco products, and CNN.com readers had plenty to say about it.

Jamalrehtorb said, “As an ex-smoker, I think this is great. Trying to quit is very, very hard and you need all the motivation possible.” jimmymax said, “Canada has been doing this for at least 10-15 years, and it hasn't really had any measurable effect. People are quitting anyway, regardless of all these gimmicks. The only gimmick that has had any real effect is when the price keeps increasing.”

wallster said, “Where do we draw the line? Will I be looking at a photo of a diabetic kidney while I'm eating my morning bowl of cereal soon? It shouldn't take a grotesque photo to scare someone into not smoking you just need a tiny grain of common sense.”

blue175 said, “Now only if they put pictures of clogged arteries and colon cancer on Big Mac boxes, maybe we would have lower obesity as well.”

1. Exposo

Never again will tiny cars be so skillfully inserted.

June 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • a guy

hahahahahahahaha. i forgot about that.

June 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • jordantorres10

human you all!!!! RIP Ryan Dunn

June 21, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jordan

love every human God or what every God you like change life isn't what you think

June 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. compassion

Whether he died making a big mistake or not, compassion for his life, his friends life and the hearts of their families should be everyones first reaction. We all make terrible mistakes at some point in our lives, loosing your life is a big price to pay.

June 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Compassion? What planet are you from? Compassion for a spoiled, egotistical, drunk who placed his and others lives at rish and ended up killing himself and others? Compassion? You must be mad. THis guy deserved everything he got!

June 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobo

While the results are not in, the fact is he lived by the sword. I can't imagine he would would want it any other way. His only regret would be the passenger.

June 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ARM

Condolences to the families, friends and loved ones of these two men. It's always a tragedy when lives are lost at such a young age.

June 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. superdave

Look it's ok to risk ur own life but he chose to endanger another. It's not like he was 17 and didn't know better,so Kristy,u need to come back to earth and realize he was every color of wrong in this and get off this holly-er than thou crap.If he lived he would have been charged with VEHICULAR HOMICIDE AND DONE SOME TALL TIME. If he had one of ur loved ones in the car ur hypocritical butt would be singing another tune. Be honest with urself first and then u can be honest with the public.Lesson over.

June 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. superdave

Kristy,U can email me any time young lady if u wish to debate this further.Superdave.

June 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Roger237

Nobody knows how much he was drinking but the US is set up for drunk driving. Bars and restaurants have parking lots. I've been to those bars in PA out in the middle of nowhere. Everybody drinks most of the night and gets in their car. Completely normal.

June 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. L, Phelps

Basicly he killed another human being and himself while driving unsafe. If he was drunk that just makes it worse and even more senseless.

June 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jkhn

That would be murder suicide

June 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. A prophetical pun

That Ryan is Dunn.

June 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greg

Was just wondering if anyone that is slamming Ryan had a chance to watch minute to win it the other night. Him and SteveO winning 25K each for charity. you people make me sick. he was a man who enjoyed life. If you ask me, you the JackA%#

June 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boseefuss

Interesting point Greg. By the way the charity he made the money for called Mothers Against Drunk Driving?

June 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clockwork

Yeah, driving drunk and 130+mph and putting other, innocent drivers in danger really sounds like "enjoying life".

June 23, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

radgast: Um, no. MOST people don't drink and drive over the legal limit. At 36 I have NEVER driven while intoxicated (nor has my spouse or any of our social circle) and I have been out to bars many times in my life. If I choose to be intoxicated I make the responsible decision to have a designated driver or I call a taxi. Period. You live in a small world and are a small person. Your justification of this is preposterous and disgusting. Stop breaking the law and start being a better person. Yes, I said it. If you drink and drive (regardless if you have an accident, are arrested/caught) I believe you are being a bad human being.

June 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • TC

Jennifer: Statistically you are wrong MOST people who drink have driven drunk. 25% of college students have driven drunk in the last month alone. Look it up.

June 21, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • kimberly

you must be a loser and hang out with loser friends if you have never driven home drunk. get a clue. it is 2012 we all do it. if the government didn't want us to drink and drive there would be no parking lots at bars. they love pulling us over for DUI's and raking in that $$$$$.

June 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Melinda Potier

No matter how it happened it is terrible! His parents and family a grieving now and so are his fans! All of you idoits who want to make fun and put stupid things on blogs about him, you shouldn't! Have you ever heard if you live in a glass house don't know throw stones, I wonder if you idiots understand that!
    May God be with his family and friends!

June 21, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andrew

Almost all of my friends and I have driven at or over 100mph at one point. We have also driven drunk, saved lives, helped people, written songs, newspaper articles, loved someone, made people laugh. To assume that the manner of his death was a projection of his life is idiotic. I personally think that he was a nice guy. Maybe not a saint but nicer than most

June 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

Well lets be real here... Officials estimate he was doing over 130 mph..... obviously in the pictures at the bar he was drinking and looked plastered ..... all of these people who cared for him so much probably let him drink and drive away drunk all the time..... a time bomb on the road. He would have eventually killed someone or caused extreme harm to an innocent person going about there day. The guy who got in the car with him knew the risks he was taking. It is sad to some degree but I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. Better him taking his own life driving off the road than running into my wife or kid on the road. We all as American's have sunk so low that this is news. The guy lived a life of a dirtbag and why we waste a second talking about him is beyond me. Bam says millions are crying.....really? Are you kidding me ? All of you guys are white trash dirtbags who havent spend a day sober in your lives. We are all supposed to have sympathy for your stupid life choices? Get a life Bam.....

June 21, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TC

Food, Art, Movies; Like all critics, Ebert contributes absolutely nothing to this blue dot and makes his generous living off the talent of others. The very definition of a parasite. I thought after Ebert's illness it would make him a little more compassionate and less of a jerk than his old TV show illustrated.
    I felt sorry for him when I first heard of his cancer...after his twitter, I no longer feel that way.

June 21, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Clockwork

Ebert was 100% right! He didn't choose to get cancer. Ryan Dunn basically chose to die when he drove drunk at 130 mph.

June 23, 2011 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |