Overheard on CNN.com: Sympathy and scorn for Dunn
"Jackass" star Ryan Dunn died in a car accident early Monday.
June 21st, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Sympathy and scorn for Dunn

Comment of the day:

“Congratulations to all the trash talkers! You are now officially...Jacka$$es! How does it feel?” –Vivalabetsy

More than a 'Jackass'

Ebert makes anti-drunk driving tweet

The death of Ryan Dunn, one of the stars of MTV's "Jackass" films and TV series, in a car crash on a Pennsylvania highway early Monday has ignited a public debate— thanks in part to film critic Roger Ebert, who tweeted, “Friends don’t let jackasses drink and drive.” So was Dunn a reckless stunt man who died in a fiery crash that could have been avoided or a man who simply and tragically died too young?

CNN.com readers were divided.

thekissinger said, “My, aren't we quick to condemn with so few facts. A person has died, his family and friends care right now, and anything else we type should be with those thoughts in mind.” parise said, “Fact: he posted pictures of himself drinking before he drove home. Fact: alcohol inhibits ability to drive.” M0reHuman said, “Fact: He posted a picture of himself with ONE drink. According to current state laws that is legal.” amcdonal86 said, “FACT! His car was completely mangled in a way that only a 100+ mph crash could cause!” Kayakker98 said, “Opinion: He looks hammered in the pic.” mmmikey responsed, “Parise.....pictures of him drinking WHAT? What was in the cup? Do you know? Of course you don't. Ignorant is as ignorant does.”

radgast said, “Most here have driven over the drinking limit, few could say otherwise, whether speed, drinking, or bad luck. His death and the other death are unfortunate and if he could speak I am certain his life would be the last of the concerns when thinking about his passenger and family he left behind.”

norcalmojo asked, “What are you expecting? Adulation? The guy was famous for being an idiot and will now be a little more famous for dying an idiot. If the fact that he's a Darwin award upsets you, wipe your nose. If it makes you feel any better, he died an entertainer. I laughed when I read the story. I laughed again at the fools trying to memorialize him. If you don't want to be remembered for being an idiot, don't make it your profession.”

rsknnp said, “Just because Ryan MAY have made a poor choice does not make his death any less sad. It's still a loss to his friends, to his family, and to the people who enjoyed his humor and appreciated the laughter he brought into the world. I wish they would have added why he was on Minute to Win it with Steve-o. They were both on the show to split the winnings and donate it to their respective charities for children.

If doing one bad thing or making one poor choice completely cancels out every other good thing a person has done, then every human on this earth is a waste of space because everyone out there has done something wrong. RIP Ryan Dunn.”

Aetna7011 said, “To make the jump from "he was having a drink with buddies" to "HE WAS DRIVING DRUNK AND KILLED AN INNOCENT PERSON AND IS A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING" is a massive exercise in conjecture and ultimately idiocy.”

russpro82 said, “Even after two beers your reaction time is slowed down. That coupled with excessively high speeds is a recipe for disaster. It's pretty sad and I feel for his family and friends (I had a close friend drive drunk and die in a car accident, so believe me....I know). But let's not forget he killed his passenger too.”

tmac1987 said, “Regardless if he partook in idiotic pranks or not, the point remains that Ryan Dunn is dead. He died at a very young age, and he had much more life to live. Maybe he was intoxicated or maybe not, we can speculate until the end of time. Remember people, we are all human, and one day our number will be called. Ryan lived his life to the fullest. He made people laugh! How many people can say they made an impact on someone’s life?”

Bring them home, Mr. President

President Barack Obama will address the nation Wednesday night to discuss a plan that would pull 30,000 “surge” forces out of Afghanistan by the end of 2012, beginning in July. But many CNN.com readers were skeptical about the plan being executed, said the number of troops coming home wasn’t enough or believe that Obama has merely begun campaigning.

CWMessenger said, “I will end the wars and bring our troops home in 2009...2010...2011...2012. Lots of empty promises is what I see.” TheFinalWerd said, “I heard endpoints too....during campaigning, during his election speech, during his midterm report and now during his campaign for re-election.”

Slag asked, “”Didn't Obama say he would be out of Libya in days, not weeks and we were only there to establish a "no fly zone"? Now I'm supposed to believe this..........really?” But TTHa responded, “We are technically "out" of Libya. We are strictly operating as a support role for the European forces. Our Armed Forces are not on Libyan lands nor flying over Libyan lands. (Drones not counting.)"

Puzzled77 said, “Please Mr. Obama. Bring all the troops home now. It’s been so long.” MatarLaRaza said, “What about the "other" 70,000?” franx asked, “Why not pull out completely? Pointless war, especially now that Osama's dead. One guaranteed way a Republican could steal my vote would be an 'end the war' stance. That'll never happen.”

CmmnSnsRulz responded, “Ron Paul has an ‘end all wars’ stance and 24 years on Congressional record of backing it up.”

Liberal212 said, “Obama's troop pullout = 2012 election gimmick.” gravitas73 said, “Too little too late, pal. You've already lost my vote. This is a political play and I'm not buying into it.” SFactory said, “Obama on the campaign trail as usual – unless he is on vacation." But crazyutahn said, “Anyone who says Obama is doing this for the polls think about this. If he wanted to be re-elected, he would have waited to kill Osama bin Laden until right before election time. Too bad none of you Republicans remember George Bush pulling that with Saddam Hussein.”

Some readers said they support Obama’s plan.

IanA1 said, “At last, a President that has actual entry and endpoint goals. You can't run a strategy without such.” MollyBee said, “President Obama is doing well over there in the huge mess created when Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld went berserk over WMDs that didn't exist.” opus512 said, “No matter what Obama does or when he does it, critics will use it against him. Even when he does something they support, they'll still criticize him for it. Going too far, not going far enough, the only thing that matters is Obama is the one doing it.”

New cigarette labels

Nine graphic cigarette warning labels were unveiled Tuesday by the Food and Drug Administration, part of the agency's sweeping new powers to regulate tobacco and tobacco products, and CNN.com readers had plenty to say about it.

Jamalrehtorb said, “As an ex-smoker, I think this is great. Trying to quit is very, very hard and you need all the motivation possible.” jimmymax said, “Canada has been doing this for at least 10-15 years, and it hasn't really had any measurable effect. People are quitting anyway, regardless of all these gimmicks. The only gimmick that has had any real effect is when the price keeps increasing.”

wallster said, “Where do we draw the line? Will I be looking at a photo of a diabetic kidney while I'm eating my morning bowl of cereal soon? It shouldn't take a grotesque photo to scare someone into not smoking you just need a tiny grain of common sense.”

blue175 said, “Now only if they put pictures of clogged arteries and colon cancer on Big Mac boxes, maybe we would have lower obesity as well.”

1. Jimbo

I don't care if this guy was a celebrity or not. He was driving drunk and killed an innocent passenger.

June 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • jordano

throw the first stone sucka

June 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeN

Enough said man straight to the point, I couldn't have said it any better

June 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ArizonaYankee

jordano ..... Bet your sweet axx I will. This hand job was drunk, doing 135 mph in a neighborhood, and killed his passenger as well. I guess you liberals call that OK judgment, well I don't and would never do what he did. You are a Hollywood idiot.

June 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

@ArizonaYankee Seriously? You liberals? How was that even related to anything said? Stop trying to make conflict. Oh and it was on the freeway so check your facts before you make yourself sound like a fool. And generally, I don't bet my sweet axx so I'm not to sure what exactly that means.

June 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • laku

Completely agree...
      I witnessed a drunk driver kill 5 people while he walked away completely unharmed. Even having 1 drink and driving is not ok IMO. While I feel for Ryan Dunn's family and friends, this was most likely not the first time he's ever driven drunk, his friends obviously didn't stop him and he even killed one of his friends because of it. Everyone out there saying "you don't know what's in that cup" or "he only had 1 drink in the picture" – really people? It's comments like those that let drunks get away with this sort of crap. It's enablers like YOU that continue to let this behavior happen. RIP Ryan Dunn and Zachary Hartwell. I hope at least 1 person out there will learn a valuable lesson from this.

June 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duh

An innocent passenger who willingly got in the car with someone who had been drinking.........not too innocent. This is tragic either way you look at it. Stop placing the blame and grow a heart.

June 22, 2011 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Vin

The passenger was an adult and got in the car too. He didn't stop him from driving. No one at the bar took his keys and called him a cab. Fingers can be pointed in all directions but blame doesn't make up for what happened. We've all made stupid decisions in our lives at one point or another.

June 22, 2011 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cavalier

Hi, Im Ryan Dunn, and this is the flaming Porsche! "Duh nuh nuhhh nuhhhhhhhh"

June 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. rr

I remember another young actor who did the same thing only he lived to tell about it. His name Haley Joel Osment.

June 21, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Julie

So they take our comments and make a news article out of them? Seems like then we should be the ones getting paid. :/

At any rate I have no clue why the accident happened ...not even going to guess. My thoughts and prayers do go out to the families that loved these two people.

Now if the topic was on the show...I have plenty to say about it...but this isn't the place or time...

June 21, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 1rooster

Drive like hell and you will get there.

June 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Daniel

Driving drunk. Dumb. Enough said.

June 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael

I would like to point out that a credible news source felt they had to lure us in for the story on troop withdrawals for Afghanistan with a story regarding tweets over Ryan Dunn's death. Fail CNN.

June 21, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MSF1981

No matter what, Ryan Dunn was an amazingly funny guy. This loss is tremondously sad and he will be missed by many. People make mistakes, we're all human, it happens, it's sad but negativity doesn't get you anywhere. If all you have is negative things to say, why post at all? Imagine this being your brother, sister, friend... Then think twice about saying it.

June 21, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Backwards World

What is comedic about some guy doing idiotic stunts, get a life & stop watching yourself in the mirror!

June 22, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Marie

So Obama sent 30,000 surge troops to Afghanistan in '09. Why doesn't he comment on why he never increased the infrastructure to accommodate more troops so living conditions suck or why he wants to bring home the surge troops yet still keep deploying the troops. So glad my husband leaves for another year soon to fight what? The Taliban? Help set up an Afghan government that will always be corrupt? Fight terrorism? The reason keeps changing to justify a senseless war.

June 22, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Vin

Maybe your husband shouldn't have joined the military, or, maybe he should quit. Joining the armed forces has to be one of the stupidest things anyone can do. I'll take my chances driving 100 in a porche with a BAL of 1.5 then sign up for the death wish military service to serve the greedy purpose of US private oil industry. This isn't the same America from WWII. We're the bad guy now.

June 22, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Vin please do something for your country and drive a porsche doing 100 mph with a BAC of 1.5. I will be first in line to thank you for your service. Some join the military and some decide to be ignorant....we know what you prefer.

June 22, 2011 at 4:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dave

Drunk or not, it's not very smart driving at 100 MPH. There's areason why they call it "reckless driving". I have NO sympathy for him at all.

June 22, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rip Ryan

The man was an Inspiration.
    Screw anyone who says otherwise.

June 22, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Backwards World

Yep Ryan an inspiration to drive at NASCAR speeds after leaving a bar....screw anybody who thinks otherwise...now that was spoken like a true conservative or Palin groupie!

June 22, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. david M

Yes, saw the crash scene photos – really... really long skid mark, then enough force to totally destroy the metal guardrail and then hit the trees hard enough to smash the car to the extent that they both died (airbags etc didn't save them). So must have been driving very fast...

June 22, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. OK

Being a person who has 3 dui's I have some sense of what drunk driving can do. 2 of 3 times I got dui's it was because I passed out and crashed. I don't drink at all and drive anymore because of this, but it has given me a unique perspective. Given that we see twitter pics of him drinking, and to those who say "we don't know what he was drinking" don't be an idiot. Do you think he was drinking apple juice or something? Are you a lawyer, defending a client because you have to? The guy was clearly drinking alcohol and crashed as a result. Both dui crashes I was in should have killed me, or at very least the second was likely to. The first dui I crashed into someones backyard/fence and tree and the second I side swiped a semi truck on the freeway in a storm. I've made my mistakes and learned from them. No matter how much we like a person or have other motivations it doesn't change the fact that lots of people, including it appears Ryan Dunn, get behind the wheel having drank too much. This does not make him a horrible person, it makes him someone who paid the ultimate price for an avoidable mistake. While we may not agree with the actions taken we should all agree that making light of or making fun of the dead is foolish and ignorant.

June 22, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. shed

Joe Blow kills a little girl walking down the road while doing 100+ miles an hour after having a few drinks and he's a murderer everyone despises. Be famous for being an idiot, kill your 30 something male passenger when doing 100+ miles an hour after drinking a few and the world mourns your death and creates memorial videos. I just don't get it...

June 22, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ryan

CNN comment trolls = just as dumb as this accident.

June 22, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |