Water tops Minot, N.D., dikes as residents seem resigned to major flooding
Minot's Troy Erickson and his neighbors have built a dike around their homes and plan to ride out the flood, he says.
June 22nd, 2011

Water tops Minot, N.D., dikes as residents seem resigned to major flooding

[Updated at 2:25 p.m. ET] Sirens were sounding Wednesday in Minot, North Dakota, urging residents to evacuate in the face of major flooding.

The sirens came on the heels of news that water had begun flowing over the city's dikes, which are leaking in some places.

[Posted at 1:52 p.m. ET] Residents in Minot, North Dakota, appear resigned to face major flooding as water has now begun flowing over the city's dikes, which are leaking in some places.

Mayor Curt Zimbelman told a local radio station at about 11 a.m. local time (noon ET) that he expects the evacuation alarms to sound within the hour. There are roughly 12,000 people in the evacuation zone in and around Minot.

Residents in the community have been given until Wednesday evening to evacuate because of what state Emergency Services spokeswoman Cecily Fong called "historic proportions of water." There are also concerns that the Souris River may be rising more rapidly than expected, Fong said.

The National Weather Service predicted record flooding as heavy area rains and dam releases cause the river to swell at Minot.

The Souris River, which locals call "The Mouse" after the French translation, flows through the center of town, and there are several homes and businesses along its low-lying banks.

Fearing the main levees won't hold back the waters, emergency workers have begun constructing local levees around a school and the Broadway Street bridge, a main thoroughfare in town.

Residents appear to be heeding evacuation warnings. In a sign that they're taking the flooding seriously, some residents are pulling up carpets because it will be easier to remove now than it will be after their homes are inundated with water.

Troy Erickson, 44, a lifelong North Dakota resident who has lived in Minot since 1995, lives across the street from the perimeter of the evacuation zone and said he plans to ride out the storm.

His neighbor has a bucket loader, and they have distributed several loads of sand and gravel around four houses, which are home to 13 people, he said. They have "lowered a couple hundred sandbags" on top of the mixture, he said.

"We've got more sandbags coming to have just in case we need to build it higher," Erickson said. "It if happens, it happens."

He said he's "a little bit" frightened because he's never been in this situation before, though he was a toddler during the flood of 1969.

1. PARROT

ANOTHER PROOF THE U.S.A. IS A BIG WASTELAND....!!!!

June 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • NDsoldier

"Another proof"???? Do us a favor and stop posting on American sights you clown.

June 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Doe

Its a shame they dont make medicine for that virus your suffering from. The ID-10-T virus.

June 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • goatsandgreens

Wasteland?

No, I think that Minot will prove to be a place where neighbors and strangers help one another. I don't live there, and I've never been to North Dakota, but it's going to be a place like that. There are many places like that here in America.

June 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jerry

STOP with the politics. Seems Republicans blame Obama for everything. The state of the country was at braking point when he became president. Everyone knows Republicans hate every minority or American that is having a hard time. It is there deserved reputation.
    This is not the time or place or time to be debating politics. Minot is a great American town, I am on my way there now with my truck help in any way I can.

June 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • NDgirl

So true, thank you for your help! =)

June 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • lairbear

You are right and I don't mean politically.
      Both political sides should try to work togeather, but they don't. Always blaming the other for all of our problems. I think this is what will bring down this country in the long run.
      No puns, but can't we all get along? NO

June 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danny

sure, that's why democrats support abortion which kills a higher percentage of minority babies, dems support lighter prison sentences creating more crime in the inner city, dems support unlimited welfare further weakening minority families. Supporting democrats is killing minorities, and the democrats have convinced them that it's the republicans who they should fear. Don't forget, the Ku Klux Klan were southern democrats, not republicans. Lincoln was a republican. These are facts.

June 22, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • South Dakota Born

Everyone knows Republicans hate minorities and those down on their luck........Really???!! Jerry, you are sadly misinformed.

June 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. joshua

Im a minot resident who was evacuated..didnt get back soon enough and lost my truck and apt. My amtrak from minnieapolis was cancelled...

June 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wow...

@NDsoldier its site not sight. grammar clown.

June 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NDgirl

http://www.vimeo.com/25031274 < WATCH THE VIDEO, it was recorded by my friend's father. It's of the flooding in Bismarck, ND, this particular area is the south side of town. NOW because his father and brother went out & recorded that, the Burleigh County Sheriff's Department is trying to charge them with felony criminal trespassing. NOBODY is allowed to go film this! WHY? I want to know WHY they are trying to hide this, they aren't allowing the media, nor anybody else to go film what's REALLY going on! EVERY town/city/home along the Missouri River, and other rivers in ND are going under water! And as for this video goes, parts of it HAD to be edited out because the Sheriff said so. WHY? This is ridiculous. We NEED help!

June 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

I believe there are places people are not allowed to go to, for their own safety, for the safety of others, and the security of the dikes and levees. It's not a news black out, just s safety thing. If 2 go, then everyone can. Imagine if 12,000 people climbed on a dike to film it. It’s frustrating, I know, but it’s not nasty. My best to your friend.

June 22, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. goatsandgreens

People of Minot, I'm wishing you hope and luck tonight.

June 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Will

My house flooded in the early 90's in Oklahoma in a pretty big flood. Lets just say the complete house was a few feet under water. They want to be no where near there when the water comes.

June 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carolina

PARROT – why don't you shut up? North Dakota is not a wasteland. In case you have not heard it was recently identified as the state whose economy is expanding at a more rapid rate than in any other state in the country. And in case you need to know I do not live in North Dakota nor have I ever. But I'd live there before I'd live in whatever nearly broke state you live in.

June 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • August

That's only because of the oil; otherwise you'd be in a soup kitchen line waiting for food-bank bean slurry over rice & then off to the rescue mission for a mat on the basement floor with a mandatory 2 hour "Jesus Saves" sermon on how you're a sinner and it's all your fault why you're going to Hell......

June 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

WHAT?!? was that? While you are drinking and posting, you should attempt some research; there are many lucrative contributors to ND's robust economy – not just oil. And even if things tanked, these aren't the kind of people who would go sit in a line waiting for a handout; they would go grown something to eat, then they'd bring their leftover hotdish down to the church to share with anybody else who might be hungry.

p.s Jesus told me he thinks your a sinner, and sure enough, it's your own damn fault. He also said if you sober up he'll forgive you.

June 24, 2011 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Leonore H. Dvorkin

Is there any news about the fate of the major Air Force base that is in Minot? My son was stationed there for several years as a medic. I don't know how its elevation compares to that of the rest of the town. I hope that there will be no lives lost, although severe property damage seems inevitable, just like in so many other parts of the country, lately, due to floods, tornadoes, and fires. This Denver resident's heart goes out to everyone there!

June 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tami K

The air base is about 7 miles north of Minot and is just fine.

June 22, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sarah

As a survivor of the recent flooding in Arkansas, my heart goes out to all the people in this area. It has been 2 months since the flood here and people are still struggling to replace and rebuild. We are a much smaller community than Minot, but about 60% of the homes here were affected. Be strong, take care and know that other survivors are praying for your safety.

June 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. NoRegrets

I'm from Minot and I am just asking that you please keep everyone here and in the surrounding areas in your prayers. We are still fighting the fight but mother nature is proving herself to be way more powerful than any of us. Please stay positive because we are trying to also. It's easy to point fingers and place blame but our community has come together and is helping each other.

June 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Alicia

I live in Minot, ND. The people here are amazing! They're helping each other out like you wouldn't believe and the local AF base has been sending people to help sand bag all week as well as make food for volunteers all over. The way people here are acting makes one have a restored faith in mankind. Please pray for us.....

June 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alicia

@Leonore H. Dvorkin: I live at the base (im an AF wife) and we're ok. Can't really go anywhere due to all the bridges and a lot of the highways being underwater, but as long as you live on base (or were evacuated here from town) we're safe and dry.

June 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kimberly

I agree I hope the best for the minot people. I live in Fargo and the flooding usually happpens here. I'm glad everyone works together there to help everyone out not just themselves.

June 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tarshel

Tired of the media blaming Canada for this. Mother nature does not care about a line in the sand. Water happens and there is no way to stop it once it starts. Everybody is affected up here and everybody is helping everybody out. We all pull together. the way it should be!

June 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |