June 24th, 2011

House set to rebuke Obama on Libya

The House of Representatives is expected to officially register its disapproval of U.S. involvement in the NATO-led Libya campaign Friday, voting to restrict funding for America's role in the mission.

The Republican-sponsored bill, which would effectively prohibit U.S. offensive operations such as drone strikes, is seen as a sharp rebuke of President Barack Obama's policy in the war-torn North African country.

It would limit the U.S. role to nonhostile actions such as search and rescue, aerial refueling, operational planning, intelligence gathering and reconnaissance.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Libya • U.S.
  1. han

Providing support people, he's honoring the NATO treaty or is that just garbage now?

June 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. leeintulsa

Our allies deserve our help. They've helped us..

June 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy

More right-wing bla-bla-bla! What makes you think that these so-called "allies" deserve our help??? Their leaders are no more than a bunch of goons with no sense of morality whatsoever plus the fact that they have no minds of their own!!!

June 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

Nato that group except for a few countries ie united states are a bunch of pansies remember iraq

June 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bob

Actually our allies abandoned us on except for Britain and Australia so we owe them nothing. As far as NATO goes that's just B.S. We are the ones dropping bombs and sending drones.

June 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

I can only agree with you if you are missing "Iraq" from your statement. But there were reasons for that, chief among them that the reason to invade Iraq was bogus. If you meant Afghanistan, then you are wrong – the US has gotten plenty of help there.

June 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. john

NATO can't even make a decision on what country is supposed to lead this endeavor so we're still in control of it, hardly a supporting role I'd say.

June 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john

@leeintulsa: Name one instance where our allies helped us, other than Britain.

June 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

The Afghan war is the most recent example.

You're welcome.

June 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bob

@han: It doesn't matter if we're just providing support he still has to get congressional approval within 90 days and he's already in violation of the law. There's no way you people can spin this one to make it look like a lawful use of Powers because it's not. Both Bush's and Clinton got prior approval from Congress and if memory recalls NATO was in control of Bosnia and we were only serving a supportive role in that also so your point is mute han.

June 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. john

BTW, Libya is still war for oil it's just oil for a different country(countries).

June 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bob

Sorry should've used moot.

June 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

@john: I know we have allies in both afghanistan and iraq (both times). They may have pulled out of iraq, i'll leave that for our allies, canadians, french, etc., to say. I know from another story here that there are french in afghanistan.

I think i remember a recent story that had canadians boasting about their involvement in one or both.

Are you new? Why should i do more research than you?

June 24, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

@john: Maybe no single country has control.. Maybe the north atlantic treaty organization is running it.. Nah, that can't be. It's *all* about us, isn't it..

June 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

I started getting sick of war around Viet Nam time. I'd puke my guts out concerning Libya, but I've gotta save some for Iran and Venezuela. I'm stocking up on barf bags.

June 24, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. leeintulsa

I'm interested to see the french version of nation building. We just might be able to learn something.

I detest war. But, simply put, you gotta stand for something. Or you'll fall for anything.

There are much worse ways to die than war hero. And we humans have not evolved past it. Hopefully soon.

We missed the boat on the newer stuff. Until osama. Say what you will, he was an enemy combatant, possibly rigged to explode.

June 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Osama was a Saddam was a Noriega. "Yet! the evil men in government are compelled to show a public face of sympathy for the oppressed and must pretend, at all times, to be one with them...seeking to rectify the very wrong they have secretly comitted."–Tullius (Cicero's dad) It's an old trick this, government leaders hiring thugs to do their dirty work then pretending not to know them, even putting out contracts on them when sh/t hits the fan. (or when their done using them, whichever comes first or second)

June 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

I didn't post any of the posts under my name, except the very first one.

Look carefully at *my* posts; I know proper spacing.

My friends know the difference.

June 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |