Overheard on CNN.com:  How relevant are new stories about the Holocaust?
A pogrom in Lvov in 1941, where Ukrainian Nazi collaborators ransacked the city while abusing and murdering Jews
June 24th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: How relevant are new stories about the Holocaust?

Comments of the Day:

"If one ever wants to see humanity's real face, just read the comments on any CNN story concerning a particular religion or background."–TheFinalWerd

Silence lifted: The untold stories of rape during the Holocaust

Was sexual violence more common during the Holocaust than originally believed? Were victims and their families too ashamed or too traumatized to report it, even when able to talk about other atrocities? The story had CNN.com readers arguing over the relevance of new stories on a 65-year-old genocide.

DanUSMC said, "My first response to this was to question why they keep bringing this up, and why do we need to see this? But to be honest, we need to be reminded of how pervasive this really was. It was not a couple of people doing this, it involved tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of troops–previously good people somehow turned into careless murderers."

doors43 said, "Picture # 3 had me crying, seeing all those babies and little girls forced naked before death with their mothers. I think of my own 7-year-old daughter and am sickened at how scared she would be if this happened to me and her, knowing I couldn't do my job as a mother and protect her. I'm ashamed this is part of humanity's history. And no, I'm not Jewish, Israeli or German."

1racebannon said, "The Nazi regime shows us that there is almost no limit to the evil that can be perpetrated upon fellow human beings when your ideology is grounded in racism and hatred. It's not pretty, but it shouldn't be swept under the rug either."

pgrenader said, "The only Holocaust story which is newsworthy is the current BS of those who insist it didn't occur, which can be likened to blasphemy as far as I am concerned."

abm2009 said, "I am an American-born Jew: Never been to Israel, didn't lose any relatives in the Holocaust, and I'm not very religious. The Holocaust did happen, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool - seriously, what do you gain by denying it? Also, I think we need to remind ourselves of the Holocaust so that it doesn't happen again. But I, too, am tired of the victimhood. I'm tired of Jews being perceived as victims and wanting to be perceived as victims. There are other Holocaust stories, one where Jews fought back. I want the Jewish narrative to change."

Why don't you write about other genocides? asked some CNN.com readers. worldiscrazy said, "I feel bad for the victims, but the topic of Holocaust has been brought up a gazillion times in the past. People don't bring up Vietnam War or Nanking Massacre anymore. They're all atrocious, but there is a point in life when bringing up these issues repeatedly causes more pain than closure."

Chinny1 said, "Yes, violence against women in this capacity is appalling. But this was approximately 60 years ago. Relatively few people from that generation are still alive. Can't we just focus on present-day victims of violence in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Africa, etc.? Let's not neglect the present."

shnawky1 asked, "Did you miss the links to FOUR stories on present-day atrocities embedded within the story or did you just read the headline?"

House conflicted on Libya campaign

The Republican-led House of Representatives rejected a bill Friday restricting funding for the NATO-led Libyan offensive; earlier, they rejected a resolution supporting the same offensive. Like House members, CNN.com readers seemed conflicted over Libya. LightnUp said, "I don't understand the GOP perspective on this one." maybrick said, "Republicans were all complaining that Obama waited too long to deal with Libya and then when he did something about it they complained about the cost. You just can't please some people."

JJNOLA said, "Come on, Republicans. You're making it very hard to read you. You usually love this invasion stuff. Why the hesitation? We can let you stand in front of the 'Mission Accomplished' banner again."

JulieWorth said, "Whatever the hypocritical reason they've become pacifists, don't go in the opposite direction and become a warmonger just because Obama made a bad political decision."

NewYorkah said, "As far as I can tell, Democrats only like war when their president starts it, even if he didn't follow proper procedure." pgrenader said, "Hey 'New Yorkah'–Baaaaston here and you're full of it. You show me one photograph of one U.S. combat officer on Libyan soil and I'll show you a violation of the War Powers Act. Until then, get your facts straight and cool it with the ridiculous compartmental bias."

krusty2p said, "I'm not anti-Obama, but I don't think that just because U.S. soldiers are not there or being killed makes this anything else than going to war."

JMW77 said, "We just need to get out of these wars and stop trying to be the police of the world."

10 exercise myths that won't go away

If you thought stretching before exercising would reduce injury, you were wrong, studies show. Also, you can nix the idea of spot reducing for toned arms. Oh, and forget the protein shake. Exercise gurus weighed in on what myths they hated most. The mythbusting had many readers talking about stretching.

enver2 said, "This is exactly the kind of pseudo-scientific 'gee whiz!' reporting that leads so many people astray. No. 1 in particular is madness. Hey everyone, stop stretching! What great advice!"

disgustedNY said, "I run a lot and I can tell you for sure that No. 1 is incorrect! I am 46 and if I don't stretch my leg muscles I can get nasty cramps."

mosspoh said, "Your sample size of one does not make it incorrect. Static stretching is not that useful. Cramps tend to be the result of electrolyte imbalances. The best warmup is dynamic stretching, i.e. a light jog, some lunges, pushups, etc. until you have a nice sweat built up. That is data-supported. Stretching can actually result in strength reduction if done BEFORE lifting weights."

Las730 said, "Well when you get 'old,' exercising can cause your joints to be stiff after cardio. Stretching sure relieves that!"

Hoeech That may be true in your case and in many others, but a cramp technically isn't an injury: It's when the muscle spasms momentarily due to high sudden demands placed on it. Stretching has its value, but it won't prevent torn ligaments and sprains.

pappakap said, "Stretching is no good? What about yoga?"
scot4875 said, "There's a lot more to yoga than just stretching. Yoga also requires a lot of balance and strength."

larry051967 said, "I have been running for too many years to count and I and my friends always warm up with some easy running and break a sweat, then stretch just a little and really slow and easy. We concentrate most of our stretching after a run and then we still do it gently and don't make a big deal out of it. Many times the stretching is just skipped and I've never had a serious injury even with 100-mile weeks when I was younger."

1. leeintulsa

Yeah, the holocaust is played.

June 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. time traveler

People who blame human nature for everything are trying to make an excuse for being ugly to each other. It's nothing less than the devil and his many puppet tentacles that harm so many people. We beat it by not listening to the hate...
    I stretch before work and if I don't my knees hurt afterwards. I also stretch before the gym and it supposedly opens up blood vessels in addition to keeping my muscles loose. I also drink a low fat low cholesterol low sugar high protein supplement shake after working out and I've lost roughly 80-100 lbs of fat while adding muscle. The results are quite noticeable. Freedom of speech is often abused by the news in order to deceive or divide the masses. For every theory there are people who will disagree with it, so the "news" should stick to fact based reporting instead of telling everyone what we should know. Every other day the news has us all second guessing ourselves about what may or may not happen. It's laughable that a dr would suggest that a professional athlete is getting muscles from placebo effect instead of protein supplements.

June 24, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I am becoming convinced that the Holocaust is not in our best interest.
    I think that we should bring it to an end and possibly make it against the law.

June 24, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

When I stretch at the gym, I do it after the weights, focusing the energy on lifting after a short warm-up. I also do aerobics after weights, since aerobic exercises are easier.
    I eat one gram of protein daily for every pound I want to weigh (175).

June 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I just wish that this troll who usurped my name above would just quit making jokes about the Holocaust. It was a horrific thing and I don't appreciate anybody making light of it especially under my name. Then again, I suppose that this joker has no decency in him whatsoever!!!

June 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I am a bit stronger than I would be would I not eat proper and commit to daily exercise. I also believe that laughter and an inner positive outlook in life makes for a more wholesome life.

June 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Cute!
    JIF at 7:06 PM is the troll.
    I am really JIF.
    I think the troll may be the fake Ellis. Who knows?

June 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The 7:18 JIF post is also not from me.
    That is clearly not my writing style, but the troll is being as pompous as he thinks I am.
    Anticipating a reply of, "you ARE pompous," well, I know it.

June 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

The Holocaust is nothing to laugh at but not all h*ll is going to stop these igonrant goons from blogging in here to make a joke out of it. The moderator here is doing a very poor job at keeping this web page from becoming a cesspool of Tea Party garbage by letting these people of dirty, small minds post here. I wonder how they'd feel if their loved ones ever became victimes of such terror.

June 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@banasy: there are atrocities every day. With color pictures. I own and love schindler's list. But that about covers it.

I couldn't have stopped hitler any more than you could.

After awhile, they call it kicking a dead horse.

Ask any American Indian.

June 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Not banasy either, I'd bet.

June 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I have known many Jewish persons who escaped, and some who survived concentration camps.
    One Aryan German woman told me, "we knew what was happening. We could see the smoke, and smell the burning. There was nothing we could do." She married an American soldier and moved here.
    However, this period ended in 1945.
    Now it's 2011. Do the math.
    Nobody is going to forget what happened in WWII. We can move on and still know what genocide is, EVERY time it has happed, and when it happens again.

June 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I meant "happened," not "happed."

June 24, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I met a Jewish man in South America who was told in Germany that he was to be resettled. He was taken to Auschwitz on a train. He said that there were times during the trip when he could have escaped.
    "Why didn't you escape?" I asked.
    He said, "because there's something in human nature–you always hope for the best. You think that maybe it will be all right."
    He was very intelligent, but that's how he reacted to being put into one of those cars that you can board at Washington's Holocaust Museum.
    I went there once on a birthday vacation in DC. I won't ever go back.
    Oh, sorry–I said "never" again.

June 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

@JIF:

Of course it's not me.
    Of course I know it's not you.
    Again, these trolls may take our names, but they cannot duplicate our style.
    The Holocaust is just as relevant today as it was when Hitler was in power.
    Those who forget past history will repeat it, as evidenced by the world events of today.

June 24, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. amlcpamaine

These stories are entirely relevant. For over 20 years the USA has been shifting toward a fascist theocracy, with power now in the hands of corporate interests and a handful of power-brokers. The wingnuts are so brazen as to require their political candidates to sign "pledges" of agreement to their theoretical leanings. The population struggles in the midst of reduced benefits and opportunities, all the while a handful of very wealthy fascists call the shots.
    The best opportunities don't lie with innovators or those with initiative to participate in world markets, they lie with lobbyists and handlers who "play the game" ... ONLY the fascists can win.

These stories, tragic as they are and an embarrassment to mankind, show where we're headed if we continue to let these power brokers have their way.

The right steps: impeach Clarence Thomas. Defund the defense contractors. Use every tactic necessary to hold "public hangings" ... that is, media attention on the ultrarich and ultrapowerful individuals who are not only destroying our way of life but also breaking the law with antics like bank speculations.

June 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

amlcpamaine: What planet are you on? Sounds like planet rant.

June 25, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy

Very well said, amlcpamaine. Just ignore all these right-wing ignoramuses here who have nothing on their tiny minds! Some of them are obviously Tea Partiers, themselves.

June 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

Atrocities happen all over the world, every day. But we do have to remember, not revel in, those historical moments that stays on our collective conscience. As banasy said, we remember so we don't repeat!

June 24, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |