June 25th, 2011

2 dead in Nevada truck-train crash

The site of a deadly truck-train collision east of Reno, Nevada, remained shut down Saturday as federal accident investigators examined the scene, a state trooper said.

Two people died in the accident Friday morning, Trooper Dan Lopez of the Nevada Highway Patrol confirmed Saturday.

It was unclear how many people were injured when a tractor-trailer slammed into a Chicago-to-California Amtrak passenger train at a railroad crossing near Lovelock, Nevada.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Nevada
  1. RUFFNUTT

the truck is suppose to stop at all crossings...

June 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tid Bits

Every one and a half minutes or so, a vehicle and a train collide in the USA.. That's not counting derailments where no vehicles were involved or incidents where trains colliding with each other. I think train wrecks are more frequent now due to people becoming more impatient with everything, including trying to beat the train to the crossing. That, and it takes forever for a train to stop because a RR track is too slippery. Good thing our trains aren't as fast as EU trains, or we USians would really be kissing our cabooses goodbye, and how!

June 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brakeman

We applied the brakes and it was as if nothing happened. We don't exactly stop on a dime you know. More like a 50 cent piece. 3 million bucks worth.

June 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

amtrak trains have disk brakes...

June 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. UTU UNION PRESIDENT

WE will have more accidents like this till you give in and give us our healthcare at 100% not 95 & 5.

plus only a 17% raise stinks. when the helath care cost of the new contract triple.

June 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brakeman

@Utu...I used to be a brakeman for Union Pacific years ago, back before they found out that brakemen really didn't do anything and replaced us with a camera on the last car. Where'd all the cabooses go? They went where I am now, and where you will be once they find out that you really don't do anything either.

June 25, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • UTU UNION PRESIDENT

don't worry soon we will all be safe when they install all the gps stuff and the train is controlled by computer.

we will have a non-skilled guy that makes 10$ an hour to be able to flip the computer off incase of chineese hackers.

btw that is not a camera on the end of the train it is called a etd=end of train device. all it does is monitor air pressure.

they started out with 4 man crews engineer,brakeman,fireman,brakeman

then 3 engineer,fireman,brakeman

now 2 engineer,brakeman

soon 1 engineer.

June 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pix

I saw this on the news last night...it was horrific! That there wasn't more loss of life is amazing to me. It was really ugly.

June 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @ UTU UNION PRESIDENT

Maybe the computers will understand what a god damned "no horn zone" means, because the stupid engineers sure as hell can't!!!

June 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • UTU UNION PRESIDENT

the no-horn zone is optional... say you got some richy snooty guy that build a 1million dollar house next to the train tracks...

well they might have a silent crossing.. well say a kid crossesthe tracks in that neighborhood so you honk the horn to warn him... next thing you know you have "mr.richy rich" complaining that your honking the horn...

then the road foreman says you have a complaint that you have been honking the horn excessively...

well the rule states that if something is on the tracks you can honk the horn and the silent part of the crossing is optional..

so everytime i go threw that area with the million dollar houses i see all sorts of "deer , dogs , kids " and am compelled to sound my horn..

June 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DouglasOverstreet

terrorism? who was the truck driver?

June 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ken

@Union President: LoL. @tidbits: if people are stupid enough to cross RR tracks without stopping and looking then they deserve to get run over, in fact I'd say it's a good thing for idiots like that to get run over especially if they haven't reproduced yet.

June 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. @ UTU UNION PRESIDENT

I do assure you, the area I live in isn't a million-dollar subdivision.
    I know all the rules.
    The engineers just freaking ignore it.
    I can see blowing your horn if there is something on the tracks at night.
    I cannot see blowing your horn through an entire town just for shats and giggles.
    Although you may profess to be UTU union pres, you have limited knowledge of our no horn zone, which has been passed, and in place. Therefore, I can onky conclude that the engineers that blow through our little blue-collar town are exceedingly stupid, and deserve to be replaced with whatever is going to follow the god damned RULES!!!!!!!

June 25, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. @ UTU UNION PRESIDENT

So what compels you to blow your horn through a town where the median home price is about $135,000? Pure meanness?
    I feel compelled to shoot paintballs at these fuktards, but I curb my impulses.

June 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @ UTU UNION PRESIDENT

And it's a no-horn TOWN, not just a crossing.

June 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. UTU UNION PRESIDENT

i think next time i'm going to slow down and honk extra long... just to be safe..

June 26, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. The Little Train that Could

I think I can I think I can I think I can haul freight without killing someone every 20 minutes I think I can I think...

June 26, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |