June 25th, 2011

Anthony trial shut down till Monday

Citing an unspecified legal issue, Chief Judge Belvin Perry has ordered the Casey Anthony murder trial into recess until Monday. Perry's announcement follows nearly an hour of discussions in court and in his chambers among the judge and attorneys.

Follow CNN's coverage of the Casey Anthony trial
Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Florida
  1. SrRaceFan

George and Cindy have lost their granddaughter and they don't want to lose their daughter also – this is a death penalty case. So I'm not surprised that they will do what they can to create "reasonable doubt" in an effort to save their daughter from the death penalty. No matter what one's children do, parents still love them and want to stand by them. If you and I can see this, then I'd be willing to bet the jury is smart enough to see it also and will discount much of Cindy's recent testimony. What they won't forget is Cindy's 911 call, which says it all.

June 25, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Anne

I agree 100%

June 25, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • RICHARD NAECKER

do you think this is something that lee over heard and told caseys lawer

June 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

That's all very understandable, but should not be a reason to allow a witness to get away with perjury. There are some basic tenets of the judicial system that must be upheld, and one of those is that people swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

June 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rich In New Jersey

Yep...See my earlier post. I think Cindy definitely perjured herself and maybe it was found she was at work when she testified yesterday that she was at home doing google searches. How could anyone remember actuallly what they typed in a google search from 3 years ago!? Seriously!? I can't rememebr what I typed in google yesterday. I think she is lying to try and spare the death sentence of her daughter. But who wouldn't say anything to spare the life of their child?

June 25, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Liz

Cindy said it was "possible" that she was home that day because she recalled taking some time off around that time. She stopped just short of perjuring herself. If the State manages to find out that she indeed was at work that day, Cindy can say; "Well I told you that I thought it possible that I was home that day. I didn't say for certain."

They (Cindy, George, Lee) will all walk that fine line while testifying for the defense. They'll tip-toe around things just enough to put reasonable doubt in the jurors mind, but not enough to actually perjure themselves.

June 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matt

I wouldn't stand by my kid if he/she did something like this...

June 25, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. SrRaceFan

I'm laughing at HLN wondering if Caylee could have drowned. Yeah, she drowned, George found her, handed her to Casey and said "Quick! Find a place to stash her!".... C'mon.... News is news, but some of this speculation is absolutely ridiculous!

June 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Albert Spencil

Don't know that she is guilty. If she is guilty; she has been either smart enough or lucky enough that there is no direct evidence to connect her to the crime. I say either an acquittal or a hung jury. Most likely a hung jury. Really all the defense needs to do is to confuse the jury.

June 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SrRaceFan

If memory serves me correctly, there were approximately 75 witnesses on the defendants list. How many of those are just recalls of prosecution witnesses? Yes, we did see at least two new witnesses on the defendant's side – the old man who thought Dr. G was negligent in her autopsy, and the lady who thought a dog might have buried Casey's leg bone.... Does the public have access to the witness list? I'm just curious who Baez might be calling other than the prosecution's witnesses.

June 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. barry black

She'll be convicted of a lesser charge-–no need to put the family through another tragedy.

June 25, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Me

I find it hard to believe that Linda Baden is still getting her 15mins of fame! If she thought Casey was so innocent why the heck did she leave the Defense Team???

June 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • sherylynne

Exactly! But she has plenty to say now. I wish they would ditch her. She annoys me with her pomposity.

June 25, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SrRaceFan

I think it was involuntary manslaughter. I don't think Casey meant for Caylee to die. Here's my theory for whatever it's worth. I think Casey wanted to go dancing, used chlorform to knock Casey out, put her in the trunk of her car, and placed duct tape over her mouth in case she woke up before Casey got back and started crying, which would have attracted others to her car. I think when Casey returned and found Caylee dead, she panicked. From there, it was just another long story of lies on top of lies. I don't think Casey meant to be a bad parent and I don't think she planned on Caylee dying. To convict her of premeditated murder would be wrong. I think she was too young to accept parenthood, didn't realize what might happen as a result of her actions, and just wanted to go out and have fun with her friends. We all like to have fun with our friends....

June 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amye

So, if Casey didn't MEAN to kill her daughter, she's merely STUPID. My mom was 15 years old when I was born, and no way was she ready for parenthood. Yes, she, too, wanted to have fun...but being of sound mind and reasonable good sense, knew better than to chloroform me, duct tape my mouth, and stow me in the trunk of a car (per your theory).

June 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • SrRaceFan

Since Casey had been telling lies for years about her friends who didn't exist, a nanny who didn't exist, etc., I don't give her credit for having any common sense or being of sound mind. I think her life was all about "her" and no consideration was given to anyone else.

June 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • sherylynne

Caylee is the victim, not Casey. Casey is the uncaring "mother" who danced and drank her nights away, shopped with Amy Huizenga's checkbook without permission, destroyed the reputation and livelihood of Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez, lied to every single law enforcement officer, lied to her family...until the bones of an innocent child were found in a cold park, wrapped in two plastic bags and a blanket with evidence of animal activity on her frail remains. She is now 25 years old and laughing while sitting at the defense table and feigning crying on cue like a hired actress. Whatever the cause of death, it tracks to Casey and forensics will prove the manner. Her parents have excused her bad behavior and her disrespect of authority her whole life. You do no favor to Casey or society to "excuse" her further with conjecture. Daily she is showing us who she is as much as you do not want to believe it.

June 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunny

You don't think Casey meant to be a bad parent? Are you saying that administering homemade chloroform to knock a child out, placing said child in the trunk of a car, and applying duct tape to the child's mouth so her cries won't be heard should she wake up, is nothing more than bad parenting? I pray you don't have children.

June 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • SrRaceFan

I didn't say I didn't think Casey was a bad parent. I definitely think she was a bad parent! There is no excuse in the world for her actions and I'm not defending her actions. I'm only saying I don't think it was premeditated, which means I don't think she deliberately murdered Caylee. If she is in any way responsible for what happened to Caylee, I hope she's punished to the full extent of the law. Sorry if I made you think I thought she was innocent or that I was making excuses for her behavior.

June 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sunny

If there had only been one piece of duct tape found attached to the child's face, you're theory may have some merit (ie., she did not deliberately murder the child), however, there were three pieces of duct tape found attached to the child's face. Standard duct tape is approx. 2 inches wide...even if each piece overlapped the other by 1 inch (the pieces were stacked)... the tape would be 3 inches wide. I am an adult, and 3 inches of tape would cover from the bottom of my chin to the tip of my nose, effectively cutting off my ability to breath. Three inches on a 3 year old would
      no doubt cover over half of their entire face.

Premeditation exists in this case as a period of time (even mere moments) was required between the application of the first piece of tape...the application of the second piece...and the application of the third piece. In addition, each piece was deliberately applied (another element of premeditation). While the application of the duct tape is not absolute proof of murder, what other reasonable conclusion can be reached? The defense theory that the child drowned in the pool certainly doesn't provide any reasonable explanation for the presence of duct tape on her face. I don't think any reasonable individual could conclude that a parent would cover their drowned child's face with duct tape after the fact.

June 25, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Steve Heise

There is so much talk about whether the stains were in the back of the car when it was bought and not as a result of anything from Caylee. Were these stains examined for DNA material or weren't they? That would prove the origin of the stains. If there was DNA from an Anthony member then they happened after the car was bought. If the stains were oil or something else then they might have been there before. Why hasn't this been brought to light?

June 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sherylynne

it will be amazing if Judge Perry gets through this circus without an ulcer.

June 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Connie

I'm beginning to think this whole family is in on Kaylee's death and have known all along what happened. They all seem to love being in the spotlight, and it's disgusting.

June 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Theresa Johnson

Could it be possible that Casey, after seeing her mother and brother break down, may be having a change of heart. Yesterday was the first time I felt that she genuinely cried tears of sorrow. Maybe she does want a plea deal just to put an end to all of this for her family. They have lost enough!

June 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Me

If I were Lee I would be hanging my head very low today! Can you imagine being painted a Witness for the defense in a child murder case as he was by the Pros yesterday! The Pros were trying to impeach him for goodness sakes! I so hope the jury got that!

June 25, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anna

All three Cindy lee and Casey are responsible ! They are all culpable for this poor child's murder

June 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |