June 25th, 2011

Anthony trial shut down till Monday

Citing an unspecified legal issue, Chief Judge Belvin Perry has ordered the Casey Anthony murder trial into recess until Monday. Perry's announcement follows nearly an hour of discussions in court and in his chambers among the judge and attorneys.

Follow CNN's coverage of the Casey Anthony trial
Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Florida
  1. Jo

Isn't Cindy a nurse? If so, she would know that chlorophyll and chloroform bear absolutely no relation to each other. Why in the world does she think people would unquestioningly accept her BS 'explanation' for her supposed search for chloroform?
    Since when is perjury okay because we feel sorry for someone? While I can empathize with what she has gone through, I believe she is, at the heart of things, manipulative, a liar, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and she should be held accountable for the lame crap she's pulling..

June 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • one4truth

I agree Jo..............it's bad enough this family is allowed in the courtroom daily (when they are key witnesses) to take notes and look for ways to thwart the state's case. There is something wrong with our justice system that allows anyone the right to lie under oath just because they have an emotional tie to the defendent. Cindy (along with Lee and George)) should be shown the Florida perjury laws prior to any more testimony they submit. Further, I pray that the prosecutors prove Cindy's perjury by obtaining phone and work records and put a nail in her coffin during rebuttal. She should serve jail time as well, although I doubt this will happen. If nothing else, I want her lies brought to the forefront to convict her sociopath daughter. P.S. – For those bored, do a search on multiple search engines for "chloroform". You will never stumble upon "How to make chloroform", but if you leave your computer on it will do approximately 84 searces on its own and find this for you.............WOW!

June 25, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fernace

Thanks to Julie Kelly for posting my excact thoughts. I don't watch the trial, but keep up with it online & through news papers. This whole time I have felt that there is more than meets the eye, that the family it hiding a secret they are trying hard to not have to divulge. It meshes perfectly for all the reasons JK.brought up, but also why did Lee ask for a special meeting with Baez, why did both he & Casey start crying when he testified about being kept out of the loop about the pregnancy & birth. This whole disfunctional family is sitting on a truthbomb that will blow up, & change the focus of the trial, maybe even cause mistrial. I also think they know what happened to Caylee, but are putting their trust in Baez, that he will get Casey off. There is alot of denial, & lies floating around this family! I suppose a murder trial would be where all those

June 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Name*deb teague

News13 blog reported hearing cheney mason laughing loud when they were all behind closed doors before the recess.

June 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo

During the trial I have seen Cheney smirk contemptuously at the state all too often–he can't seem to suppress his smug arrogance.

June 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • copper

I read that a reporter heard Mason yelling at the DT. but he could not undeerstand what he said.....maybe yelling and laughing sound the same from Mason.

June 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kathy

I think Casey needs to plead guilty before her whole family is in jail with her!! I think Lee is in deep, maybe even helping to put Caylee in her final resting place. I don't think his performance yesterday or at the memorial was about Casey being pregnant, when she picked him up from the airport he could have had a conversation with her, that was too foney, and he is the only one that got her upset, wouldn't you think her childs remains would have triggered that emotion?? Something is eating him alive!! I hope everytime a fly lites on them they think about that baby, it breaks my heart.

June 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

Sorry, got cut off. So to continue: is where all those secrets are at risk of exposure. And I think some 1 will break down & spill it. These kinds of secrets are a painful chore to keep hidden!

June 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kathy

Does anyone think Lee sounded like a little child when he was crying and saying they left him out....boo hoo So he would have been about 25 or so, no guys I know would want to be at a baby shower, wonder what his cell phone records say??

June 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joan

After the Furton discussion , Mason, in a soft tone, stated he had an unrelated issue to bring up. It went from side bar to chambers!! I'm convinced he holds the key to the recess today!

June 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jack

This case is very simple don't get trap in the web of lies. Follow the facts no 911 calls when she was missing (31) days for starters. I think Dr, G said it all. And for Baez as her lawyer Casey pick him. As for Friday, Cindy & Lee are trying to keep her from death. Have faith in the jury and true justice will come.

June 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ann

Freud would have loved this family. Cindy lost all credibility when she testified that she was the one who used their home computer to look up the info on chloroform and other poisons, while she was signed in at work, no less. And brother Lee looks like he took the same acting class in crocodile tears that Casey must have taken. He also looked like he and Baez were communicating in some kind of code. When asked if he had approached the defense to discuss what he planned to testify, he said no. But it's a fair bet that the defense coached him on his testimony. The saddest part of this trial – and an indictment of the justice system – is that the focus really doesn't seem to be on the tragic loss of a beautiful little victim as much as it is on gamesmanship and intellectual challenge among the attorneys and overkill drama and super hype among many in the media.

June 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jill

@Jo, I agree. It's outrageous that Cindy Anthony has perjured herself. The prosecution should have asked her how one goes about deleting the internet search history (since those incriminating searches were the only ones deleted in years of use! - and I bet Cindy would not have been able to answer that). I also wonder if Cindy's former employer had machine time clocks that require employees to sign in & out, showing the exact time she would have began and ended work during the days of question...

June 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marilee Alec

if Cindy is the one who researched chloroform, and IF chloroform was used on Caylee....doesn't that incriminate her in a conspiracy or a crime the same as they are trying to do to Casey?

June 26, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sandra

May be it is just me, but this is turning in to be a bad soap opera. And what did the defense proof(even so the defense does not need to provide proof)? Nothing. Because there is not really a defense in this case. Personal I believe that Cindy and Lee did more demage this week for sticking up for Casey it was to obvios.
    Well may be Casey got an reality check and takes a plea deal now.

June 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fl mom

First, Casey will never take a plea deal, she still thinks she got away with all this. Second, initailly I felt sorry for Cindy when the 911 calls were played. That day we saw the "real" Cindy- raw, grieving Grandma. Yesterday, we saw her lie upon the stand trying to save her daughter. Don't know what the story is about Lee, but he is hiding something. The lady he intends to marry needs to run in the opposite direction- FAST! The father is also hiding something, I think he has not yet played his trump card in this drama. They are all had had this whole senerio set up before the trial even began. Baez, he is set for life! He obviously is going to retire from all this, and good thing- he is not much of a lawyer. Bottom line is.... a child has been murdered, the murder was covered up for 31 days, and Casey is responsible for all this mess. And to think we have the privledge of paying for this whole mess.

June 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tweetpotatoe

1st the expert FBI ForenSics expert failed her FBI test and tried to assure us with one strand of hair from a photograph was that of Caylee's please stop humoring me with your know it all stories. 2nd the FBI expert Chemist is the creator and has a patent on the air sample container. Don't insult my intelligence with the nitwits the prosecutors have as witnesses.
    Tweetpotatoe

June 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • jreppoh

Did you know that Bozo failed his bar exam too. The defense is getting tons of help from outside the courtroom,more than likly because of Mason otherwise he would already have lost!

June 26, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • nosycat

The Labrador device or the sniffing device you are referring to is not being patented by the researchers at OakRidge. It's development was requested by Dept of Defense and they will own the patent rights. If and when it becomes patented, a small royalty will be paid the the OakRidge group who worked on it and that amount has to be divided among all the people who did the work, doctors, chemists, students, etc. Small change!!!

June 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. brownstain

Newt Gingrich is a bloated lieing loser.com

June 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. connie

All the commentators talked about today was the Anthony family secret. I think that the secret is nothing more than the entire family revolved around Casey from the day she was born to the exclusion of Lee. Daddy's little girl and Mommy's BFF except when they were fighting. She and Lee were prob tight as brother and sis and the emotion yesterday was probably real cause he admitted for the first time that he felt left out (as opposed to the shut down he did during that time of her pregnancy) and Casey realized how much she really hurt him. I think she's a socio, spoiled and totally narcissitic and I think the family revolved around that. After Caylee was born, it was fine, till reality started to cut into her party time and social life. I still would like to believe that however Caylee died, it was an accident and the immature Casey didn't know what to do with a dead baby so after a few days she did to her what she did to her dead pets that she loved. God help us that a 22 yr old would do such a thing! I think the family life is alot more benign than the press and media like to spin. Just an immature and selfish young woman...so sad for that beautiful little girl.

June 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kati

Connie, you totally nailed it. That is exactly what I have thought all along. Casey is so cold. When I see her in court, she just looks vacant. At times she seems intelligent
      , and other times she absolutely lives in fantasy-land. I read her letters from jail, and she was exceptionally immature, even for a mother in her early twenties. I think that is part of why people find this trial so interesting. Not only is Casey and her behavior so strange, but her family has also shown some serious disfunction. My heart just aches for what Caylee must have gone through.

June 26, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |