June 25th, 2011

China releases rights activist

Chinese authorities have released activist Hu Jia, his wife posted Sunday on Twitter.

"On a sleepless night at 2:30, Hu Jia arrived at home. Safe, very happy. Needs to rest for a while. Thanks to each of you," Zeng Jinyan wrote in the tweet.

Hu had written a series of stories denouncing the human rights situation in China ahead of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, the group Human Rights Watch said.

He also has been active on AIDS issues in China.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: China • Human rights
  1. banasy

Wow.
    I'm floored.
    China doing something decent, like letting a human rights activist go...perhaps there is hope yet.

June 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

Good news for Hu Jia. On another note. I never met a Chinese buffet that I didn't like. @banasy: hi bud. You're right, China did do a decent thing. Sorry, but I have little hope for such actions to continue by China.

June 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

@Cesar:
    Hi backatcha.
    I fear you are right; this will not continue.
    But one *can* dream, right?

June 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

Right.

June 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Please, anybody who likes me here read my last posts under "Libyan soccer."
    I'm really tired of fighting just to "be."

June 25, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sunshine Girl

I'm glad Jazzzz isn't posting here. She is so annoying.

June 26, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sunshine Girl

The picture of that penguin lying on its side reminds me of a walrus. Which in turn reminds me of Jazzzz. Ops,sorry walrus. I didn't mean to insult you.

June 26, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. I am the Walrus

You didn'nt, you idiots offend all.

June 26, 2011 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

So nice here.

June 26, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Well I'll be darned. All that Wal-Mart shopping finally paid off.

June 26, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. UTU UNION PRESIDENT

im going to honk my horn in celebration.. all night long... i might even go to the back units and put a brick on the horn button..

June 26, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. another slimy switchman

dont forget to ring the bell also.

June 26, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

US State Dept has warned that any American who participates in the Humanitarian Aid Flotilla to Gaza including USS 'Audacity of Hope' would be fined or jailed.
    God as a democracy we are learning fast from countries like China, N.Korea and Mayanmar.

Fortunately though we have some courageous Americans left up on the Hill who still believe in American spirit. Six of them Kucinich, W.Lacy Clay,Sam Farr, Bob Filner , E.Holmes Norton and Barbra Lee have sent a letter to Hillary Clinton to ensure the safety of Americans in the flotilla. less they be murdered by Israeli forces like in the past.

The rest of the Congress perhaps decided that the lives of Americans are not important in the interest of Israel.

June 26, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

@saywhat...the US government has a lot of blind flag-wavers who believe the preachers who tell them that Israel is still God's chosen nation, and so Uncle Sam has much to gain by propagating this myth. The entire "Moral Majority" believe that the Israeli MOSSAD are God's little helpers! One of the ways that Uncle Sam keeps this myth alive is by, even though the FBI is mandated to investigate ALL death's of Americans overseas, when it comes to Israelis killing an American, the FBI might or might not investigate. (ref. Rachell Corrie, U.S.S. Liberty)

June 26, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

So true @ Philip

Most of this nation's problems stem from this unrealistic policy . The unfortunate part is that American public , by design is kept away from learning the truth.
    Those public intellectuals like Chomsky, Uri Avnery, Ilan Pappi, Robert Fisk and many others or the voices of peace loving Jews like those of Gush Shalom, JStreet, Jewish Voice for Peace, Rabbis of N.America for Peace & thousands others are stifled. Our mainstream media, lobbies like AIPAC & those of our law makers with dual loyalty make this sure.

June 26, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |