Emergency declared in North Carolina as wildfires rage
More than 300 fire departments have been deployed against wildfires that have burned 70,000 acres in North Carolina.
June 25th, 2011

Emergency declared in North Carolina as wildfires rage

North Carolina Gov. Beverly Perdue declared a state of emergency Saturday for 29 counties as crews battled wildfires that have consumed more than 70,000 acres.

“I want to assure residents of North Carolina that the state Division of Forest Resources and its partnering agencies are working hard to contain the fires in Eastern North Carolina,” Perdue said in a statement on her website.

The emergency order means North Carolina can receive aid from federal authorities as well as other states.

Authorities are contending with several blazes, including one in the Alligator River Nature Preserve in Dare County spanning about 50,000 acres, CNN affiliate WRAL in Raleigh reported Saturday.

Blazes in Pender and Bladen counties burned more than 22,000 acres, WRAL reported.

Twelve counties were under an air quality alert because of “fine particulates” circulating in the wind, according to the state’s Department of Environmental and Natural Resources.

The agency issued a Code Purple alert –- very unhealthy –-  for the weekend in coastal communities due to the blazes.

“Some of the highest particle pollution levels that (the state Division of Air Quality) has ever measured were in smoke plumes from wildfires,” the agency said on its website. “Fine particles can penetrate deeply into the lungs and be absorbed into the bloodstream, causing or aggravating heart and lung diseases."

The governor said the U.S. Forest Service Incident Management Team was working with more than 300 federal, local and volunteer fire departments to contain the blazes, which have been caused by drought and high winds.

Post by:
Filed under: Fire • North Carolina
  1. Doc

Joey, both could probably apply, if you ever watch the movie I think that would explain it best. @Big Game James: very true,"I'm your huckleberry" was a term used in that time period which was used to mean "I'm your champion". In a way Kurt Russell lucked out because Kevin Costner used the considerable clout he had at the time to get nearly all movie companies not to touch Tombstone all of them except Disney. Russell wanted William Dafoe for the part of Doc Holliday but he was too controversial for Disney at the time so Val Kilmer ended up with the part.

June 26, 2011 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I never posted the word "huckleberry."
    If it appeared under JIF, it was one of my trolls.

June 26, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Doc:
    A fantastic European singer who studies with me had to remind me two days ago that painful loss leaves a space that can be filled with something good.

June 26, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I haven't taken time to go to a movie for years. Let's see–about seven years.
    I blog in down-time, as I've said, and it's my "knitting."
    Years ago, on a concert tour, a legendary opera singer and I went to a movie–I think it was in Seattle. That night, she said to me, "we have to have the most normal life possible. We're not normal, but we have to try."
    A movie is a big chunk out of my life, which is mostly work.
    It's wonderful work, but hard work and necessary rest.
    I don't have time for TOMBSTONE.
    A pizza, maybe.

June 26, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tricia

Ah, the anonymous tacky comment, something that would never be said face-to-face. How brave of you, Joe!

June 26, 2011 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Tricia,
    Were you addressing me?
    If so, "tacky?" I'm not.
    (Not) "brave?" I'm pretty damned brave, and proud of it.
    My name in here is Joey, not Joe, so you probably didn't mean me.
    I do not have time to catch flicks that ribbon-counter monarchs see and discuss amongst themselves while making change.

June 26, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

@Leslie...your musing is reality. A word has been coined for your "original American'. People who can trace their roots back to ancient China are 'indigenous' peoples, not just native Americans. Through the study of languages (linguistics) it has been determined for a fact that the original American's came from China via the Alaskan land bridge. If you were born here but can trace your roots to other than China, you would still be considered an Native American, but not indigenous to the land.

June 26, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • KatyaKatya

China? Check it out with a map, this territory has never been China

June 27, 2011 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Andrew

There is an error in the last paragraph. This is not a US Forest Service incident engagement team on the fire: it is a NC Forest Service incident management team. The team is made up almost entirely of state, not federal, employees.

June 26, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • lewis

Andrew, the article is correct in that there is a US Forest Service National Incident Management Type 1 team currently managing this fire event. You are correct though that the NC Forest Service Incident Management Team is there as well and were in charge before the US Forest Service came in a little over a week ago. I only know this because I work with the US Forest Service National Incident Management Organization (NIMO) Type 1 team who is deployed there and I've been on the incident the past week or so.

June 26, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

To illustrate: If you were born in Africa but your tribal leader traded you to an Arab slave master who took you back to Arabia and forced you to convert to Islam, you would then be an African-Arabian. If your parents were born in Africa but their tribal leader traded them to some European slave traders who sold them to a free black man in America and you were born on his plantation, you would then be an native American. (free black men purchased 10 times the national average number of slaves)

June 26, 2011 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  10. Unburnt

To the writer, in future articles, please consider including things like: a status of the fires beyond the fact that they're burning, a forecast of wind direction so that folks can be prepared for bad air, a statement as to when the fires might be contained, a recommendation as to the type of mask people with breathing disorders should wear.

June 26, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • KatyaKatya

Yes, I support that. Is there a map of fire locations available? I am in NE TN and some parts of NC are practically next door. I don't get it. The last couple of weeks here have been really wet. Where are the fires and how did they start?

June 27, 2011 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@Leslie...did you catch that? If you were born here, you are an American. No, not an European-American, an American. Your parent's may have been African-Americans...but if you were born here, yer just a plain-old everday American, no matter what color your eyes are.

June 26, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Doc

@Joey: Perhaps, for some people. It was Big Game James who used the word huckleberry, sorry for the confusion. Also I believe Tricia was referring to a Joe who posted here yesterday, his post has since been pulled so you may not have seen it.

June 26, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. GbreadMan

Hopefully it's burning 70,000 acres of kudzu

June 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Doc

@GbreadMan: I don't know if fire can even get rid of that stuff.

June 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@Doc:
    No, fire just makes it angrier.

June 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |