June 25th, 2011

Libyan soccer players join the rebels

Seventeen prominent soccer players in Libya have defected to the rebels, opposition spokesmen said Saturday, in another setback to the county's embattled leadership.

They arrived in the rebel stronghold of Zintan in western Libya Saturday afternoon to cheering crowds that greeted them with celebratory gunfire and smiles. Players posed with locals and briefly batted a soccer ball between their heads.

"I am telling Colonel (Moammar) Gadhafi to leave us alone and allow us to create a free Libya," goalkeeper Juma Gtat told BBC News earlier in the town of Jadu.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Africa • Arab unrest: developments • Libya • War
  1. Futbol Fan

Zzz zzz zzz zzz.... Huh? Oh... Yay freedom.. zzz zzz zzz..

June 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

My humor wasn't getting any traction so now they're going to try sposoring a Yemeni soccer team. I still get 72 virgins and my weekly ration of explosives, but I have to pay for my own AK-47 bullets now. (shrug)

June 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Dunham

@Achkmed: Get back on my fist... Mmm... Fist.

June 25, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

@Jeff Dunham...well it wasn't. (my humor) Even my skit where I dressed-up as the Amazing Kresco and made a third Trade Tower disappear for no reason didn't amaze anyone. Really. People are more into sports than they are into finding out the truth. Good for me they still like to make fun of ragheads.

June 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Another propaganda coup for the right-wing thugs in Washington!!! Good going, C.I.A.! How much did you people pay these bozoes to defect??? I bet that it was a pretty penny!!!!!

June 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The guy who's fist is up Jeff Dunham's &$$ controlling his mouth and eyes

@Ahkmed: Well played, but I think we both know at the end all that is left is the truth and day of reckoning. I like sports, but not the kind that seem to revolve around vuhjayjays and peeneez. I'm sure you see something beautiful in it, but I see a beautiful thing turned into an ugly weapon. I also think you're a wasted talent, maybe you should change your name to Sodom Whosane? Has a better ring to it. Either way have fun with that whole virgin thing. Sounds nice. My heaven would be Spring Break without the vomit or clap.

June 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tired

...of people and their silly comments and pretending to be terrorists. Tired of the conspiracy baloney concerning the third tower and the garbage about all of it. Tired of people thinking it's funny to do so. It's Ahkmed the Dead Terrorist, btw, and Jeff Dunham isn't funny, and neither is the above posts.

I hope the soccer players can do some good.

June 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

I am confused now. I thought a left wingnut was in charge. So it's the left wingnut job in charge of the right wingnut job, but it's the right wing nut job who is the war mongers? I don't think so. For that would make a big fat elephant with a donkey's head slip on it's own luxuriant dung, leading to an economic depression like the one we just...gee, I guess Joey is onto something. That elephant's head IS driven by it's big fat ass after all!

June 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tired

@the guy:

Lmfao!!!!

June 25, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tired

@Ahkmed:
    That's a troll joey, you unfunny tool. Go away.

June 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tick Tack Toe.. Yawnnn..

Ahmed=Phil, or troll... If it's a troll then kudos for getting the Philipism correct.

June 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

I've been Ahkmed for years...for over a year here on CNN. Big deal. Who have you been?

June 25, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@Achphil: Grrr.. Facts... Head exploding... *pop* BinLaden is at the bottom of the Laurentian Abyss next to Megaton. A right wing thug birdie told me.

June 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Doth this face suit you?

June 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jazzzzzzz

We can be others if you wish.....

June 25, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

That is NOT me in the above post. BRUCE will tell ya

June 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce Wayne

@Jazzzzzzz: I will be standing between you and the people of Gotham... It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.. I have no Idea who you are Mary, but I suspect you're in league with the Joker.

June 25, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |