June 25th, 2011

Libyan soccer players join the rebels

Seventeen prominent soccer players in Libya have defected to the rebels, opposition spokesmen said Saturday, in another setback to the county's embattled leadership.

They arrived in the rebel stronghold of Zintan in western Libya Saturday afternoon to cheering crowds that greeted them with celebratory gunfire and smiles. Players posed with locals and briefly batted a soccer ball between their heads.

"I am telling Colonel (Moammar) Gadhafi to leave us alone and allow us to create a free Libya," goalkeeper Juma Gtat told BBC News earlier in the town of Jadu.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Africa • Arab unrest: developments • Libya • War
  1. Sunshine Girl

She started this fight last month. She told me that she is the queen and I should know that so I would be alright. She told me other mean things too. So Joey just bud out.

June 26, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I remember that queen chat.
    I don't know who is a troll and who isn't.
    'Nite.

June 26, 2011 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joseph Zrnchik, MAJ (Ret.)

Americans have more reason to hate their government than Gaddafi's.

Americans have more reason to revolt than Libyans. Would the US government support our right to rebel?

At least Gaddafi does not go an invade every country that does not listen to him.

Should we wage war on our government?

June 26, 2011 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

@Joseph...Your points are valid and true. However, we have failed our Founding Father's who guaranteed our right to bear arms, not so that we could "make my day" each other, but so that we could form militias in each and every state, armed militias powerful enough to make any government think twice before invading or overly infringeing. Be that a foreign or a domestic government.

June 26, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

Many of our States are bigger and richer than most countries! California's economy is the 6th largest in the world! Imagine if just California had heeded the Founding Father's warning and had maintained a State Militia since becoming a State. The 6th largest military in the WORLD! Who is gonna 'dick' around with that? But noooooo. We want handguns for PERSONAL protection. Screw the Founding Father's intent.

June 26, 2011 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The Founding Fathers were not psychics with precognition.
    They didn't envision drive-by collection of drug debts.
    I am a strong supporter of both gun rights and electric-chair rights. My concept would maintain a just balance of rights.

June 26, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Joey, what do you think it was that gave the Founding Fathers the idea to guarantee a State's right to form and arm it's own militia? Surely they didn't have in mind keeping a loaded .44 mag under your pillow in case someone tried to steal your TV at night, did they?

June 26, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

And these "drug debts" you refer to. Would that be in reference to how we spend more on pharmaceuticals than we do on national defense? If so, how does that relate to our topic: Do we have more against our own government than we do against Libya's? Should we too rebel, and would Libyan's help us in that endeavor. I say we missed-out on our opportunity to avoid this situation from ever arising by failing to follow our Founding Father's advice and arm State Militias rather than just individuals.

June 26, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    I said above that the FF didn't mean the guns for personal protection, such as for TV sets, and that, not being psychic, they also could not foresee crack-debt drive-by revenge.
    They couldn't imagine that pharmaceutical-company reps would spend hundreds of dollars taking MDs to destination restaurants, either.
    However, if I have a gun and want to defend my home with it, I want to BE ABLE, LEGALLY, to blow holes through the addict trying to take my big TV set to get one fix.

June 26, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

If I had an umbellical chord hooked-up to a TV I might be more apt to share your sentiments Joey. But as it stands, I'd have a hard time shotting some clown in the back for stealing a TV. (even if that clown was the 16 yr. old girl you were referring to. She's a drug-addict Joey. She needs help, not a bullet in her back)

June 26, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

If I had an umbellical chord hooked-up to a TV I might be more apt to share your sentiments Joey. But as it stands, I'd have a hard time shooting some clown in the back for stealing a TV. (even if that clown was the 16 yr. old girl you were referring to. She's a drug-addict Joey. She needs help, not a bullet in her back)

June 26, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

There is a scale balancing a human life with a TV. Measure your scale if it tips the wrong way. It may need recalibrating. he he

June 26, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Sunshine Girl ... pls never think for one moment I would be anything other than respectful of others on this blog. Of course the TROLLS would be the exception. Your a cool cat... speaking of mine hasn't come back home yet, wonder if he's mad at me too. LOL. Anyway I digress ... hope to hear for ya Cowgirl. :::::::::::::)

June 26, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Philip,
    I just wrote a long, complex answer to you about the Life/TV balance and our different concepts of morality.
    CNN censored it, possibly because the computer could not grasp it.
    I'm not going to write it again.
    I respect your intelligence.
    I like you, whether you like me or not.

June 26, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jazzzzzzzz

Amendments to existing laws would be one answer to this argument between Your self and Joey.... if the Federal Court System weren't run by the Government and NRA.

June 26, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |