June 26th, 2011

Cheering new marriage law during New York pride parade

Forty-two years after a police raid sparked rioting and perhaps the birth of the American gay rights movement, New Yorkers geared up for the city's annual pride parade Sunday in what many expect to be a celebration of same-sex couples' newly-acquired right to wed.

The parade is expected to meander along Manhattan's Fifth Avenue and pass the famous Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village where the rioting took place in 1969. The parade was set to begin at noon ET.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill Friday that made New York the sixth state to legalize same-sex marriage. The new law more than doubles the number of Americans living in states that permit such unions.

The measure will take effect 30 days after it was signed, providing same-sex couples with new rights that include employer health benefits, inheritance laws and a host of new tax benefits.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: New York • Same-sex marriage
  1. RagingSemi

Maybe they can blend it in with straight pride and we can just have monogamy pride parades now.

June 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RagingSemi

Or how about "Were just staying together for the kids pride." parades. Id like to see that.

June 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RagingSemi

"The sparks gone out: 20 years of lovelessness pride." parades? Alright, Im done now.

June 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Why does it bother you so much?
    It doesn't bother me.

June 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I know lots of gay men and lesbians.
    Some are close friends.
    All the men, at least, tell me that they always knew that they were gay.
    I always knew that I was not.
    It's irrelevant to me if somebody else is gay.

June 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janice

You go Joey! I'm not gay either but EVERYONE should have the right to love whom ever it is they love! That's it thats all!

June 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Why *shouldn't* there be 'Gay Pride' parades?

@Ruffie:
    As long as they're not '4 on the Floor'!

June 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

Ok you gay people have ruined it for yourselves go ahead and run out and get married then all that hot lovemaking that youve been doing well thats history gone then you put up with each other as long as you possibly can because everyone knows how much it cost to get married and divorced and before you know it all that fighting that you did to get married has also gotten you divorced welcome to the world of equal rights congratulations

June 26, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Punctuation

@gung hoe:
    Punctuation: learn it; use it.

June 26, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RagingSemi

I dont really care about parades. I was just setting myself up for the other comments.

June 26, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

If I could afford to have–and run–the car I've always wanted, I might marry it.
    Sleep in it.
    Kiss it.
    Whatever.
    A car can't have children, but we could adopt.

June 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@JIF:

Would it be an Isotta-Fraschini?

@Raging Semi:

Ahhhhhhhh. It becomes clearer to me now.

June 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. zigzag

Next is gay separation and gay divorce. Just hope the price is the same at the lawyers.

June 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pink Sock

great news having buttcoitus in central park to celebrate.

June 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

Congrats to gay New Yorkers who can now marry! Personally I'll never marry again, I like for my lovahs to have their own abode.Yep, I just want the fun (s@x), later for all the picking up after a grown a$$ man, begging for him to notice me in my lil' french maid outfit & all that cr@p! This way my men are panting at my door. Really, they do, I have slobber marks on my door mat, must buy a new 1. Since we're confessing to weird marriage fetishes, I have many times wanted to marry songs, like EWF's Reasons or Rufus/ Chaka Khans Sweet Thing. It's a strange feeling to be so obsessed with something you can't see or touch, only hear, but I am addicted to music, it's my cross to bear. Anyway, I love a parade & wish I could be there for this 1, but I'm in TX., so too far. Have a nice eve, all!!

June 26, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gung hoe

To punctuation isnt that i dont know you and how to use you now smartass you try typing on this phone keyboard and lets see what kind of punctuation you use when its not on your unit oh and next time How about you grow a pair and use your real screen name punctuation huh

June 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |