Airline ad pokes fun at Blagojevich
Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted Monday on 17 of 20 corruption counts.
June 29th, 2011

Airline ad pokes fun at Blagojevich

Spirit Airlines' latest quirky marketing campaign takes a swing at convicted former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The promotion on the deep-discount airline's website features a photo of a big-haired Blagojevich look-alike whose clothes turn into an orange prison jumpsuit before vertical bars close over the image.

"We got these fares and they're f-ing golden," the title says.

"We are guilty of selling seats but we don't expect to serve time," the sale page reads.

Blagojevich was convicted Monday of 17 of 20 corruption charges relating to his attempt to peddle President Obama's U.S. Senate seat after the 2008 presidential election. A federal grand jury indicted Blagojevich in April 2009.

At the time of his arrest, prosecutors said court-authorized wiretaps caught Blagojevich expressing frustration that Obama transition officials were "not willing to give me anything except appreciation."

"I've got this thing, and it's (expletive) golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for (expletive) nothing. I'm not gonna do it," Blagojevich was quoted as saying in an FBI recording.

The Miramar, Florida-based airline is known for responding to news events with irreverent marketing pushes. Earlier this month, without mentioning disgraced Congressman Anthony Weiner, the airline launched a "weiner sale" touting $9 fares "too hard to resist."

It came up with an "Eye of the Tiger" sale just days after golfer Tiger Woods' 2009 auto accident; the cartoon ad showed a tiger crashing an SUV into a fire hydrant.

A Spirit ad during last summer's Gulf of Mexico oil spill didn't go over so well. It showed a woman slathered in suntan lotion (from a green-and-yellow bottle) with the invitation, "Check out the oil on our beaches!"

The current Spirit sale offers $17 one-way fares on certain round trips, available only to members of the airline's $9 Fare Club, which costs $59.95 a year. The sale ends at midnight ET Wednesday. The sale price does not include taxes, baggage fees and other fees.

Blagojevich's people were not amused. "No matter what you think about the former governor, most of the public knows he has a wife and two young daughters," Glenn Selig, a spokesman for Blagojevich, said Wednesday. "Nothing about what's happened is funny, and Spirit's marketing campaign is in poor taste."

Post by:
Filed under: Aviation • Crime • Politics • Rod Blagojevich
  1. banasy

*should have said, 'an airline making ads...*

June 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

It was a joke banasy...kinda/sorta. I produced a TV commercial featuring an old German man, Ludwig, who went thru WW2 as a nazi youth. His father was a prison guard. Imagine growing up in that. Well Ludwig did grow up, and came to America! And like Germans do, he saved for like 15 years and paid cash for a home. Then he saved a few more years and paid cash for a brand-new car. Now Ludwig was an incredible mechanic, and so you think he'd buy an MB or BMW, Porsche...but no! He bought a 2002 Toyota Celica GTS! And he brought the car to my shop to make it his own. Anyway...not one of the 3 network stations would air the commercial! Right after 9/11 with war sables rattling for Iraq, they didn't want to touch it! I should have tried profiting from some misery i guess.

June 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Ja, Philip.
    @ TUTTI:
    I've been on business calls.
    HI RAVEN, LONG TIME ETC.
    Now I eat.

June 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jim

I think you kind of did try to Philip, or does concentration camps not count as misery anymore?

June 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip

To clarify, the marketplace here is about 500,000 people, and over half of them are government employees. Really, it's the Rat Wang Moral ignority capital of the world. So don't go thinking 'yeahhhhhh, like what's wrong with that commercial. The media does some major big-gov butt-kissing come wartime.(sort of like the churches do, but less holy?)

June 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

Hey JoeyIF! I said hello in another thread but there were a lotta posts so it maya been lost in the mix .anyway I hope youre happy and healthy! @ Philip, Im not in AK but my son tells me the weathers been beautiful.

June 29, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

@jim...there was nothing in my commercial about concentration camps. But thanks for demonstrating how many people think these days...after having their opinions served-up fresh daily, upon finally imagining something, rarely does it impute good motive. It was a good commercial with a fabulous story line featuring a remarkable charachter being himself. Not exactly Hollywood.

June 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ raven:
    I saw your wave in the other thread, but then my phone started going crazy.
    I've got a steak on, and I'm just here a few seconds.

June 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

Good evening Raven , how have you been? long time no see. and what is your son doing in AK?

June 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Joey Make sure you let the steak *rest* for about 5 minutes, don't want those juices going anywhere but in your mouth. That one is from Rachael Ray ... Yum O

June 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jim

Just the mentioning the word nazi brings up the connotation of concentration camps by association. Though you may not have directly you did by association. It would also help your case if you'd learn how to spell.

June 29, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Jim ... Philip will learn to spell as soon as you learn how to be a *HUMAN BEING*

June 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jim

Sorry, meant just mentioning the word nazi.

June 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jim

Damn phone screen always blacks out words when I'm trying to proof read.

June 29, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |