Airline ad pokes fun at Blagojevich
Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted Monday on 17 of 20 corruption counts.
June 29th, 2011

Airline ad pokes fun at Blagojevich

Spirit Airlines' latest quirky marketing campaign takes a swing at convicted former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The promotion on the deep-discount airline's website features a photo of a big-haired Blagojevich look-alike whose clothes turn into an orange prison jumpsuit before vertical bars close over the image.

"We got these fares and they're f-ing golden," the title says.

"We are guilty of selling seats but we don't expect to serve time," the sale page reads.

Blagojevich was convicted Monday of 17 of 20 corruption charges relating to his attempt to peddle President Obama's U.S. Senate seat after the 2008 presidential election. A federal grand jury indicted Blagojevich in April 2009.

At the time of his arrest, prosecutors said court-authorized wiretaps caught Blagojevich expressing frustration that Obama transition officials were "not willing to give me anything except appreciation."

"I've got this thing, and it's (expletive) golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for (expletive) nothing. I'm not gonna do it," Blagojevich was quoted as saying in an FBI recording.

The Miramar, Florida-based airline is known for responding to news events with irreverent marketing pushes. Earlier this month, without mentioning disgraced Congressman Anthony Weiner, the airline launched a "weiner sale" touting $9 fares "too hard to resist."

It came up with an "Eye of the Tiger" sale just days after golfer Tiger Woods' 2009 auto accident; the cartoon ad showed a tiger crashing an SUV into a fire hydrant.

A Spirit ad during last summer's Gulf of Mexico oil spill didn't go over so well. It showed a woman slathered in suntan lotion (from a green-and-yellow bottle) with the invitation, "Check out the oil on our beaches!"

The current Spirit sale offers $17 one-way fares on certain round trips, available only to members of the airline's $9 Fare Club, which costs $59.95 a year. The sale ends at midnight ET Wednesday. The sale price does not include taxes, baggage fees and other fees.

Blagojevich's people were not amused. "No matter what you think about the former governor, most of the public knows he has a wife and two young daughters," Glenn Selig, a spokesman for Blagojevich, said Wednesday. "Nothing about what's happened is funny, and Spirit's marketing campaign is in poor taste."

Post by:
Filed under: Aviation • Crime • Politics • Rod Blagojevich
  1. jim

@jazzzz: I'm not the one who made a commercial which glorified a nazi family now am I? And yes I've known people who lived in Germany and Italy during the war and they were wonderful people, they didn't believe in what their governments were doing and they refused to be a part of it. BTW I'll remind you to be human the next time I see you attack someone.

June 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jim

@jazzzzz: before you have the chance to deny it, yes I have seen you attack people before, including attacking them on their spelling and grammar, so don't act so innocent.

June 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

I find I'm much juicier when I rest, too.
    Rachel didn't tell me *that*, trust me.

June 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

How about that Blago's hair?

June 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip and the ghost of jim brieske?

(brieske's an inside joke) @jim...Hogwash. You either served Hitler, went to prison, or were murdered. And of course there were wealthy families in Germany that got around all of that just like they do here. To a German child, Hitler youth meant boy scout. And they were all afraid of the terrorists who burned down the Reichstag, Parliment Building. Most all German citizens willingly gave up some rights to help Hitler catch the terrorists after his Enabling Act was passed. (if you've never read this Act, speed-read the Patriot Act and you'll get the gist of it) Scared people are easily herded.

June 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

I doubt He can read with his phone either. JIm stop *IMPUTING* He He

June 29, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip and the ghost of jim brieske?

...easily herded towords WAR. Humans have a natural aversion to war, especially American people. We do. Not as strong as before, but it's still there, and Uncle Sam must overcome this aversion to get us behaind a war effort. example: workers in factories making WW1 army tanks were told that they were making water tanks on tracks. Really, that's where the name originated. They were afraid the workers would refuse to help make a WMD, so they tricked them. The same exact thing is still occuring today, only shrewd-like. It took US over two years before we finally joined WW2 in Europe. Look at the fit we threw over Viet-Nam. Now we get involved in wars and nobody even flinches. But they still flinch. Perhaps Big-Pharma can take care of that flinch for ya.

June 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jim

@philip: I've worked with people who lived there during the war. I've taken the time to talk with them about what it was like, and what their lives were like under Hitler. I've listened to their stories. Have you? You're probably one of those pea brained people who don't believe Hitler tried to exterminate the jews.

June 29, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tommy

Spell check-live it love it, make it your best friend people.

June 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jim

Jazzzz: Yes my eyesight is failing, glad it's a big joke to you. Perhaps that is a good thing though because I won't be able to read idiotic posts on here anymore when it finally does go.

June 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Jim BTW That would be my troll that you saw insulting ppl. I have not any desire to hate on anyone here unless they attack one of my friends. Good night

June 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

Oh Jim you better be kidding, if not I am truly sorry I didn't know. Pls except mu deepest apologies. I am past my bedtime but hope to converse with you at a later time my friend. Again I'm very sorry.

June 29, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jim

Sorry, I guess the last few philip posts were also trolls so I'm sorry philip. It's just that I've known people close to me that had to live under that evil and it reminds me of what they had to endure, I'm afraid I get a bit upset if I feel someone is making light of it.

June 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip and the ghost of jim brieske?

Jim, I spent a month at Hitler's favorite spot to party, The Malerkinkel Hotel in Lambach, Bavaria. I interviewed countless people from Annie Loh, the owner, to rich Austrians, farmers, campers, vacationers, and gimme a ber bitte's. Botom line: they hated Jews before Hitler, knew of the camps and approved, and understood that the camps were built to house lazy Germans that didn't want to work hard. and of course, Jews too. What changed their lives was when the Reichstag burned down, and Hitler swore revenge on the terrorists that did it. They willingly gave up their rights by going along with Hitler's enabling act to help Hitler in this endeavor, that never panned-out. The terrorists were never caught. Some Nazi's claimed they caught one, but the body couldn't be recognized nor confirmed. Weird huh. anyway...nice to meet you jim.

June 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip and the ghost of jim brieske?

That was in 1996 jim. I doubt you could find very many people who knew, and will openly talk about it today. Most of them are dead.

June 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |