July 1st, 2011

Michigan ban on considering race in college admissions struck down

A divided federal appeals court has struck down Michigan's ban on consideration of race and gender in college admissions.

The issue is likely to renew the national political and legal debate over affirmative action, which the Supreme Court could be poised to resolve in coming months.

The 6th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Friday concluded in a 2-1 ruling that the voter-approved ban on "preferential treatment" at state colleges and universities was unconstitutional, and "alters Michigan's political structure by impermissibly burdening racial minorities."

Post by:
Filed under: Civil Rights • Education • Michigan
  1. TimP

It's called Affirmative Action because they found that the alternative phrase "positive discrimination" lead to too many questions.

Discrimination is discrimination whether it is in favor of whites, blacks or greens. Let's call it that. And there is nothing positive about it.

You try telling ANYBODY that they didnt make it into college because of their skin color rather than their academic results. This is pure unadulterated prejudicial discriminatory racism.

July 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. someoneelse

Where I live, the French consider themselves a minority and have their own school district, hospital board, etc etc. They also have the province up the 'French' immigration to make it more French to make it 'fairer'. All government job ads first ask for 'bilingualism' which means speak French natively and English badly. No jobs are done on merit anymore, just what language you speak (BTW, je peux parler francais assez bien. J'ai etude dans une ecole francaise pour six ans!). I have no doubt America is going the same way, whether with language/race/gender or whatever crap a bunch of morons who can't take responsibility for themselves use for an excuse.

July 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sen

> je peux parler francais assez bien. J'ai etude dans une ecole francaise pour six ans

6 years and you write like a lobotomized monkey. I am not exaggerating... this is a bad translation of bad english into Canadian French. Or it would be that if you fixed the blunders... "J'ai étudié (not etudé)" also "pendant six ans" not pour...

July 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • someoneelse

It's been a long time, but it would not take me a long time to get back into it. My receptive skills are near native level while my productive skills have languished. I've also been studying Chinese in the meantime. But you sure like to make yourself seem intelligent, don't you moron? Why not address the actual post?

July 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • someoneelse

BTW, there is no such thing as Canadian French. Have you ever heard an Acadian speak French compared to a Montrealer compared to a Northern Quebecois?

July 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TMoney

I am all for racial preferences to adjust for past imbalances, especially when implemented successfully as in the case of Malaysia. But there have to be targets and expiration dates on such programs. This stuff can't just be set to go on forever like here in the US. We will probably end up with the same results as the desegregation laws gave us. Desegregation will happen "in due course". In other words never. How about some targets, action items, and delivery dates, so we can put an end to all this racial bs.

July 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

"I am all for racial preferences to adjust for past imbalances,"

...to 'adjust' you must take from one side in order to give to the other. So you are all for TAKING from a side who had NOTHING TO DO with PAST imbalances?

Wow, glad you are not a judge.

July 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. charles

I'll like to know exactly what race is the dumb one,LOL.

July 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Heh

Yes, god forbid minorities have the same burdens as everyone else...

July 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dee

July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Charles

There are just as many if not more poor white students in the country as their are black and other minorities. Affirmative Action will never work unless it is based on economics, family issues, and other social issues. There are numerous studies out that show a great number of students admitted under affirmative action policies are middle-upper class black Americans who would have been admitted no matter what their race.

July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

That is something that I am disappointed Obama has not addressed yet.
      During the campaign he spoke about affirmative action and said that it should be expanded to take social and financial aspects into consideration so that a poor white kid would not lose out to a middle class black kid simply because of the colour of his skin.
      So far, that has not been touched.

July 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • vr13

Based on family issues? Does this mean that because I have both parrents, I have to be discriminated against and give my admissioni to someone who scores lower simply because his father left his mom? Com'on! The same for the economics. You could give more financial aid based on economics, but you shouldn't place a dumb kid in front of a smart kid in college simply because the dumb kid is poor.

July 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles

vr13 – You're right. I'm assuming that the poor kid is just as smart as the private school kid. A kid still has to make the grades to be considered before even getting into anything else. My point is if you're going to have "affirmative action", or some policy that takes into account personal issues, race/ethnicity should not be in the formula. Overall I'm against the policy, but if it's going to exist it needs to be entirely reworked.

July 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kat

LOL! EXACTLY why I am lily white and claim that I an HISPANIC, and the government can't legally ask me to PROVE it!! Ha ha ha! My employer can't fire me because I am a female hispanic over 40 and I will SUE them.

The war on whites needs to be OVER! Once and for ALL. As an alternative, I simply encourage everyone to claim on government forms that they are a MINORITY as defined by our "government".

This simply eliminates the unfair advantage that "minorities" get over whites.

Do it!

July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

If affirmative action is designed to help minorities, how come asians are excluded from these programs? Why favor other minorities (blacks, latinos, etc). over asians?

Sounds like racism to me.

July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • SOobvious

You kkk

July 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • T.

You do realize that Asian's are considered minorities here in American. However, for so long, Asians have tended to assimilate to the dominant culture–not wanting to take part in affirmative action issues.

July 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hogman

We the people voted and then the prejudice of Judges denied the voters there rights.

July 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Byrd

You can bet Roberts, Thomas and the Scaly One are drooling all over themselves at the thought of striking this blow against the People. Segregation is just around the corner.

July 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Like segregation doesn't exist already on college campuses? The most diverse colleges, students choose to stick with their own race. Go to any school and you see the African American Awareness club; Hispanic Clubs; Hell, some schools even have dances just for black students and black yearbooks. If the students are choosing to segregate themselves, ending affirmative action won't matter.

July 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Charles, except GOD FORBID if someone makes a white yearbook or a white club!

July 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Kat – I know right? I'm Hispanic/White, and in college was sent an e-mail every month to join the Hispanic club just because of my last name. I went to one meeting to see what it was about and was immediately looked down on because I didn't speak Spanish. Self-segregation will never end until we stop basing things on race/ethnicity.

July 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kat

This simply eliminates the unfair advantage that "minorities" get over whites.

Do it!

July 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

Spin it anyway you want; preferential treatment based upon the color of a person's skin is RACIAL DISCRIMINATION. Nobody is buying the bull$!!! excuses and misdirection. We all know what this ruling means. They are validating discrimination. I can't imagine one minority college applicant with a shred of dignity being happy about this.

July 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sen

From these posts, most people seem to believe that affirmative action implies minorities are not as smart as the majority. That's not true. It implies just the opposite – if you draw samples out of N equal groups then on an average each group should be equally represented. If it is not, then the sampling process is biased. Selecting people is highly dependent on one's points of view in general, and in particular it's hard for college admission reviewers to maintain an unbiased point of view.

Of course, the other possibility would be that the assumption about those N groups being equal was flawed, and that some of the groups are in fact more capable than others. This is the contemptuous view that most people who want to strike down affirm action hold. It's curious how they make it sound as if they were egalitarians and that the regulations are discriminatory.

July 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

No... from most of these posts, people simply believe that this is another form of racism.

July 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

The day privileged white kids spend just a week going to a school that black kids are forced to go to and come home to a family that doesn't feed them well both physically and intellectually is the day that privileged white kids S+FU about the alleged injustices surrounding affirmative action and so-called racial discrimination.

The playing field is not level, people. Deal with it. Affirmative action is probably not the best way to deal with it, but it is at least SOMETHING.

July 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Bruce – the problem is that by just looking at race, the affirmative action policies don't do anything for the inner city kids. With the current policy instead of 20 middle class black kids from a public HS going to college there are 30. In the inner city, when before 1 black person was admitted to college, now it's still that 1 kid. The policy does nothing it was intended to do.

July 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Charles, that may well be true, but reading most of the racist comments written by privileged white kids on this blog makes one think that they believe that the problem is reverse racism and that affirmative action is put forward by people who do so because they hate white people or something.

Like I said, affirmative action may not be the best solution, but it's SOMETHING. I see nothing else offered that even begins to address the inequalities that are very real out there.

July 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • are you serious?

Let me ask you this. If it is wrong to ask someone applying for a job what race they are then why is it ok to ask what race they are prior to an academic application. Let's all be equal and be judged based on our credentials not our race.

July 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sirsean

This whole debate is stupid... first of all, If the courts are saying "oh, its an income factor" why don't they look at income? To me it is a race issue. Why else would they be looking at race? I really think this whole thing is stupid. "lets let someone in because they are a minority." If you have to choose between a stupid lazy person or a smart hard working person lets pick the smart hardworking one. It should have nothing to do with race or even income. The smarter person with better grades should be the one that is let in. If they happen to be poor, smart, a minority and hard working help them pay for it. I feel like we are flooding our colleges with stupid people just because they belong to a certain group. Not because they have earned it!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |