Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Caole

We all deserve a second chance.

July 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Philiip

Funny. This guy and his friends SWUNG losing dogs as JUMPROPES until they DIED!!! Second Chance!?! You must be out of your mind! Maybe we should let Charles Manson out too?

July 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • mr second chance

It's football. It's not like he's getting a second chance to breed dogs and own a kennel. For fck's sake, football players get paid to hit other players as hard as they can. Who cares if he gets 10 chances, it's fckin football.

July 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judge Dredd

Phillip,

Can you prove he did exactly that to those dogs? Besides they were pitbulls, they are bred to attack. They act on instinct, it's not like he was killing terriers or pugs, ya know cute dogs.

I am the law

July 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

@ mr second chance : I hope another player does hit him as hard as they can. Hard enough to break his stupid neck.

July 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

@ Judge Dredd : So the breed makes a difference? Seriously? Your ignorance is showing...

July 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caroline Pynes

Yes, dogs deserve a second chance, too.

July 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • DCR

I am a full supporter of Mike Vick, what he did was F'ed up but thats the past. Who cares if you dont buy nike why dont you just not watch or have anything to do with the NFL. They are bigger "FELON SUPPORTERS" or whatever you idiots call it, they let him play and represent the entire league. Just because he kicks your teams QB's A@# doesnt mean you have to hate. NOW THE REAL VENT, for everyone on here that is saying pitbulls are bred to attack you are a IDIOT, pitbulls are bred just like any other dog, they are not bred to attack they are bred for pets. I have a pitbull that is the sweetest most loving dog I have ever came accrossed she plays with all the neighborhood kids all the time. She has never showed aggresion at all!!! Now if you want to say pitbulls are bred to attack there are so many attacks BLAH BLAH BLAH, then look at the statistics do the research there are far more dog attacks that involve other breeds besides pitbulls

July 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • PuckSoppet

Dredd, you're an idiot. Pit bulls ARE terriers.

Derp.

July 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • MCOLL

killers dont deserve a second chance

July 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • interesting

interesting that nike would opt for vick with his past criminal history. With nike "just do it" what are they really saying to the target group that they will be reaching. The group that vick will reach will be the male population and no I,m not trying to stereotype but is NIKE saying that it is ok this do criminal acts and be rewarded with, million dollar many year contracts? Is NIKE saying that it's ok to at some point in like to be a criminal be a bad example and inturn be rewarded for those actions? I think people should have second chances, I don't think that this is the way vick should be given one. He did his time in jail ok so let him live his life normal not in the lime-lite and not making millions. I think this is a bad move for nike. Nike should have people represent the brand that will lead people to do better. I hear that underarmor, going to get some.

July 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • AVA

NO WE DON'T. YOU ACT LIKE HE STOLE A CAMERA OR SOMETHING. HE TORTURED INNOCENT DOGS FOR YEARS!!!!!THAT IS NOT A MISTAKE. THAT IS A HOBBY!

July 5, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chan

The world is now forgiving! Thank God for VIck!

July 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

Thank Satan Chan, not god.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

You need help. He tormented defenseless animals. You're as sick as he is!

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judge Dredd

Dogs are not defenseless animals. A pitbull can do some serious damage to you, if one of those attacks you, I'm not helping.

July 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ26

Wow, A lot of perfect people posting here on this story. Must be nice to have never made ANY mistakes in your life. Fact is Michael served his time, apologized and I believe he was sincere. It shows on and off the field, all you "perfect people" must not have any friends because you are so quick to send someone to the deepest depths of hell for every mistake they make.

Yes as a dog owner myself, I absolutely hated Vick for what he did to those dogs, dog fighting is deplorable and senseless and was HAPPY to see him go to prison for his crimes and also for his arrogance about the whole thing.

I didn't except him to change after he got out, but he has surprised me now that he's served his time and has really turned his life around. Other than a couple of misteps by hanging out with the wrong people, he now stays out of trouble, is extremely humble and really earning his 2nd chance. He is not the same big headed thug that went in prison. I can't say that much for many people that are released from prison, but Vick is showing he's the exception.

All you idiots saying you won't support Nike because they are condoning dog fighting, must have failed reading in school, because some how all you people missed the last line of the article....

You also seem to forget the fact that Nike dropped him when the whole dog fighting thing became public. They believe in 2nd chances, why can't you? I would tell you cry babies to get over it, but of course in your little perfect world, EVERY crime would carry the death penalty. LOL it must be hard carrying so much anger for one man, so many years after the fact.

July 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Reginald Henderson

Nike

July 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Trip

i'm glad i stopped wearing Nikes in the 80s.

July 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. R C Johnston

Do you think that if I murdered 8 dogs, had a fought dogs in a ring . be a jailbird, Nike would hire me?

July 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheekbrown

There's a lot more to Michael Vick than what you described. That was his past. Who doesn't have a past?

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

'Who doesn't have a past?'

like that?
      me for one. you want to suggest you have a past like that?

July 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

If there were maybe only 10-15 guys in the country that could do the job better than you, Nike would probably re-hire you too...

See the difference?

July 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • PuckSoppet

If you made enough money and knew how to wear a lot of spandex and throw a ball around, they sure would!

July 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • AVA

THERE WERE MORE THAN 8, THAT'S JUST HOW MANY HE ADMITTED TO. HE RAN THIS RING FOR YEARS THERE WERE PROBABLY 8 A MONTH!

July 5, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

What a shame. F Nike.

July 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. McPurp

Thank God for Vick??? are you serious?
    If so your just as messed up in the head up as he is.
    Sure he has done some positive things since then, but you cant tell me he wouldnt do it again if he knew he wouldnt be caught!

July 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJP

Remember... he never apologized for what he did to those animals.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think he would. With the money he was making, I don't know why he was in the first place. But, now that he knows what the bottom feels like, I doubt he'll go back.

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheekbrown

The word "forgive" has no meaning to many.

July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • June

As does the phrase... THE THUG WATCHED AND TRAINED DOGS TO KILL OTHER DOGS FOR FUN!!!!

Say it with me Cheeky. HE. WATCHED. AND. TRAINED. DOGS. TO. KILL. ONE. ANOTHER. FOR. FUN.

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

'The word "forgive" has no meaning to many.'

'repentance' doesnt have meaning to many either.

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Garet821

Vick is the man. Good for you, Michael.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheekbrown

You said it, Garet821.

July 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cheekbrown

Good! Michael Vick more than made amends for his wrongs.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

He is still alive unlike the dogs he killed. Until he dies a horrible death no amends have been made.

July 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joshua

He watched dogs kill each other for fun? How in God's name do you AMEND THAT?

July 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Is he paying ONE CENT to the surviving dogs?! You know, the ones who were tortured, but survived?

July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vero

Nice. Vick, even with the dog killing, has probably done more good for this world than his critics have in their entire lives. It's kind of funny that way. You bitter losers can continue to wallow in your hate while everyone else moves on in life.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

What good has this creature done. Please elaborate a bit. He is a sideshow for people with no moral center.

Like you.

July 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Vero = Moron. So what GOOD has he done? I'm perfectly happy living in Miami with my family that I love and cherish. That includes our dogs too. Lemme guess... how's your THUG-LIFE Vero? Do you "Live by the gun and die by the gun too?" Ooohhh Scaaarrry. Idiot...

July 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

'You bitter losers can continue to wallow in your hate while everyone else moves on in life'

you know what, if not killing animals and making them rip each other to pieces makes me a loser, then label me a loser. I have no issue with that.

July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Everton

RC Johnston and all you who are judging Michael. I bet you all go to church on Sundays ask for forgiveness and go out Monday doing the same thing. Has America apologized for Slavery, wha was done to the Indians? I would not cast any stone if I were you. God is the only JUDGE. One day you too will get the sam Judgement you give to others except it will be your soul that's being judged. You are not GOD! So stop trying to be the Almighty.

July 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bingwa

We all deserve second chance in life. I am gland to see Michael Vick gets his endorsements back after what he went through. Good luck!

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • June

It's a shame those dogs don't get the second chance isn't it?

July 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

After what he went through... What those dogs went through you mental midget was far worse.

July 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

he was convicted of animal cruelty, he didnt 'go through' anything, he got punished for his obscene crimes.

July 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guester

You don't torture animals to death ans then suddenly get over it. He was trash, is trash, and always will be trash.

July 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jon

I'm guessing he was dogged by Nike to sign on.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. McPurp

Yeah, NO MORE NIKE for me or my family.

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lisa

I will never buy another NIKE product, ever!! This guy did not just bankroll dogfighting......he PERSONALLY tortured those poor animals!! Someone like that CAN"T change......it's the way they're hard-wired. Once a sociopath, always a sociopath!

July 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glynda

I'm with you Lisa. No more NIke for me and the family. There are so many POSITIVE roll models out there, why in the world do they have to re-sign Vick? Anyone that would torture dogs does not deserve the attention. I personally hope NIKE sales decrease drastically based on this decision.

July 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodking Aesthetic

sad , quit reaching for sympathy. he did the crime served his time & now he's getting back on his feet. -kazoo voice- hello dumb dumb , let it go & figure out a way to being successful instead of obsessing over nonsense dumb dumb ( :

July 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rose

I truly hope there is a special place in hell for Michael Vick! Those dogs never received a 2nd chance. I'm oficially done with Nike.

July 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |