Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. AreWeTherYet

@Scott... You're "So glad" he's turned himself around..... If he really has turned himself around, why hasn't he contributed ANYTHING to the costs of rehabilitating and resocializing the dogs that survived being owned by him? Can you tell me that? He's rich.... again. If he really felt remorse, he'd make it right by paying the costs of boarding, feeding, healing, and re-homing those dogs. Not a dime. Easy to say he's sorry – his actions speak far louder than his words. He's a loser. always will be.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaux

I agree with you 100% I will never buy another pair of Nikes in my life. I quit buying them when the story came out originally. He is only sorry he got caught, not sorry for what he did! He would still be torturing dogs. I would like to lock him in a room with a pack of the dogs he tortured.

July 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeDidHisTime

and i will buy 5 pair each month, that will cancel you out and NIKE still make profit.

July 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

LOL

July 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

right... like YOU can afford 5 pairs of shoes per month... lol!

July 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • SD

Realistically the dogs would most likely not touch him for fear of reprisal.

July 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • chiptaylor

And that is better behavior than what he showed...how? Give me a break you have issues.

July 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randy

I will pray for your lost soul, u gonna have to face God one day with your evil heart

July 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • TMAN

stop crying about what he did in the past... hes a bigger man for doing what hes doing...

July 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary ann

Every time I read that someone thinks vick has turned his life around I wonder why there are so many idiots in the world. The man is a mass murderer of animals. You think he's sorry? You think he cares? He has public relations people around him with their hands out waiting for the money he pays him so they can tell him how to act and what to say. He shoudl have stayed in prison longer. Shame on the Eagles, and shame on Nike. I hope they lose a lot of business by resigning with this lowlife.

July 2, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Hey, for once it hard for people to get out of jail for something very did and it hard to get a job after serive time. He paid his due and he is turing his life around. he made a mistake and people need to forgive him. also because he is black which make it hard. It not easy for those people for got out of jail and trying to turn there life around. i am glad that he is turing his life aorund and he is getting a second chance

July 2, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • mjones

Whats the point in jail then? Should no one go to jail and then be released because they aren't "sorry" for what they did but only because they were caught? I'm assuming like most people you've said something not totally true, does that mean no one should ever forgive you for that even if you apologized? Yes he did what he did but get over it. He served his time and has made something of his life again.

July 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ReadIdiotRead

Ummm. Vick has paid almost one million dollars to the rehabilitation and care of the dogs that were owned by him. Geez, some of you guys have no clue and just keep opening. Research and at least think before you speak

July 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Excuse me? I've worked in rescue for years and I know exactly what took place. The man is sick!

July 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeDidHisTime

DONT.........CARE.................:-)

July 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • michael

WHY DON'T YOU GET A REAL LIFE LOSER!!
      BIG PROPS AND CONGRATS TO MICHAEL VICK, KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOUR DOING, ITS BEAUTIFUL..
      TO ALL THE NEGATIVE POSTS ON HERE, YOU HAVE A NICE DAY...HA! HA!

July 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peri

Thanks for attempting to educate them. Unfortunately it's easier for people like this to give misinformation than it is for them to take a minute to do some research.

July 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Hey, I just read that he was ordered to pay that. Check your facts again. Maybe my source is wrong though. This guy isn't remoseful. He spent his weekly internet time alloted by prison on facebook posting semi racist comments and how white people were trying to keep him from making money.

July 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janet

So because he paid 948,000.00 we should forgive him?

July 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • keonnestein purnell

If michael vick did everything that people expect from him, would he be forgiven?

July 2, 2011 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
    • bruce

YES, that was more than enough, what other convicted animal abuser/dogfighter do you know that have been required to pay that much, better yet do you know any other animal abuser/dogfighters?

July 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeRAHfone

@Janet – should you forgive him. if you're a pagan, its doubtful you would. if you're a Christian, yes you would at least 7 times (Luke 17:14)

July 3, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Blunttalk

And he still hangs with his dog crew too. Do the whole research not just the part you want to believe.

July 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • akgirl

I think you need to do your research better – Vic Has not paid almost one milliond dollors to rehabilitate for any of the dogs he owed – those dogs went to many different places one of which is best friends animal sant. and he has never paid or offered to pay anything to them. He's never called, wrote, emailed or anything to any of the animal sant. that took his dogs away from him.

July 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice Johnston

Yes, he paid that money because he was ordered to pay by the courts. He has not given a dime toward any rescues willingly without being ordered to.

July 2, 2011 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • buzzsaw

that million was court ordered dummy

July 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

ur obviously so much smarter than everyone. no matter what he paid, time he served, he's still an awful person.

September 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common$ense

Are you serious??? He's the only spokesman for Animal Rights that anyone even recognizes... You know how much money and notoriety he's brought to various Animal Rights Groups... You're just another stone thrower!!!!!! Hope your glass house has insurance...

July 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maureen

Yep...all of my sins can be exposed to the world; there is nothing there that even remotely resembles his crimes. WHAT HE DID IS A CRIME. He murdered dogs....Nike will never be worn by my kids again....I'll be busy this 4th of July spreading the word to all of the mommies at all of the BBQs and events I'm attending...

Oh and for the guy that says he's the most famous spokesperson..Not true: Betty White, Robert Wagner, Sarah McLaglan, Wendy Mallick...long list of celeb. animal rights folks!

July 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Go Maureen! Get the word out. Mommies rock! Vick sucks

July 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

LOL alright. You go run around on the 4th of July when everyone is happy and celebrating, and spoil their mood by talking about what Vick did and how terrible Nike is. I'm sure you'll be the life of the party.
      I guess you aren't teaching your kids forgiveness either.

July 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

you can forgive someone without necessarily contributing to their gross wealth or complicitly endorsing his behavior and holding him up on a pedestal. Forgiveness has nothing to do with this. Perhaps people just don't think he should profit and be rewarded after his cruelty.

July 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

@Christina, right on. And people who deliberately torture and abuse domestic animals that are dependent on humans for care (which is not the same as eating a hamburger) usually have very little regard for human life either

July 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

@Lucy So it's ok to torture animals as long as they aren't depending on humans? Abuse is abuse. Next time you eat your hamburger, think of where that animal came from and how it was treated. You'll find it's not much different than how these dogs were.

July 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • PuckSoppet

Commercial slaughter vs. drawn out, hours-long fights? Look up Temple Grandin's slaughterhouses and then read about dog fights and the numerous ways Vick killed his "cur" dogs (dogs who wouldn't fight). I challenge you to make that comparison again.

July 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raptor Mom

Why should anyone forgive him for the horrendous stuff he did. I make no apology for not forgiving him, geesh, Not everything is forgivable.

July 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Castrator

True. I don't think we need to bring out the torches and pitchforks chasing Frankenstein's monster around, but we also don't need to idolize him either. What one doesn't pay for in this life will be paid for after, so getting upset doesn't solve anything. I actually do hope Vick learns and grows, but I'm not going to give him any of my money either.

July 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • alyb

Agree 100%. I am glad that he has served his time and turned things around, and if the NFL wants to rehire him, so be it, but I don't think he deserves an endorsement deal. Just because he made a couple of PSA's, that doesn't mean we just forget every bad thing he did to those animals. Forgive does not equal forget.

July 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrite Nation

You're going to talk to people about dog fighting at a BBQ while they are EATING cows, chickens and whatever other animal is on the grill? LOL! Wow. Hope you don't run up on some Filipinos.

July 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Dogs are valued in our culture idiot. Just like cows are sacred in India. Were you home schooled? You're probably a vegetarian in which case anything you have to say doesn't matter. But the point is you can't compare one culture to another in terms of what food is acceptable. You're welcome for the lesson.

July 1, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrite Nation

Patrick, first of all shut the fvck up. The lesson to be learned is forgiveness and that yes other cultures who also preside in America don't have an issue with this. Cultures are just that culture, not law. Don't ever reply to me again moron.

July 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caroline Pynes

Look around you, it's a village of idiots!

July 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

Listen here Patrick, you stuck up goat.
      Culture has nothing to do with anything that's been mentioned. Youre saying the dogs in the US have feelings, but cows only have feelings in India. Thanks for your brilliant lesson.
      As for eating meat, you name it, I eat it. What concerns me is the animals treatment before it winds up on my plate. A concept that your small mind is unable to grasp.

July 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • humtake

Actually, dogs are valued by certain people in our society. I don't like dogs and could care less what people do with them. Some countries eat them. I don't care about that, either. Just because you might have an opinion about something doesn't make it any more or less valid that someone else's.

July 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • WhyMaureenisFoolish

@Maureen-Look we understand that you are upset and feel like you need your own ounce of this man's flesh. But seriously, LET IT GO!! You are going to feel good about yourself for preventing your kids from wear Nike brand shoes. Maybe even enjoy ostricizing the other soccer mom's who refuse to follow your lead. But guess what, Your kids will wear Nike products at some point. Either they will do it just because they want to rebel, or more likely just do it because they like them. You won't make a difference. There is no difference to make. Nike is plenty smart in the marketing dept and determined that they didn't care what you (or wanna-be crusaders like you) throught or had to say.

You see, the only one who cares this much about a past crime like this that has been paid for, are self-righteous miserable people. The fact that in your nose-in-the air, "I know best, so you should listen to me" rant about how great you are for the well-being of animals, you referenced enjoying BB-Q's you completely invalidated every single word you were trying to say. If you are going to feel like that about dogs, then how can you EAT other animals that are just as defenseless. And if perchance you aren't actually eating those animals, how could you go to a party enjoying the environment where it's being done?

It's sad really. If you want to go down the path that you seem to have chosen, and actually garner any respect, you will have to become a vegan and join the rest of the true crusaders out there. But living in this middle ground. You just seem sad and pathetic.

Me, I have no moral struggles. I have no message to preach. I have my feelings on the meat-as-food topic and am quite comfortable with them. I feel that dogs are cool and fighting them isn't. But when a man pays the price for his misdieads, follows through in every way asked, I'm not going to stay on his back and continue pound him. It's done get over it, and ulitmately get over yourself.

July 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • StarrLibra

I agree with you 100 percent!!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoFreakinWut

so tell me...if they do end up buying a pair (with or without your approval)...then what?

July 1, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raptor Mom

anyone around here buys Nike products, and said products will be swiftly burned.

July 1, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • j hat

Who the **** are they? The waste of money on 'pets' is insane. They should've shipped those dogs to Vietnam to feed the Hungry!!! 😮

July 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Well said! I'm behind you 100%!! Spread the word mommy's, for your dollars speak volumes!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary ann

common sense???? now that's a joke. You are calling vick an animal rights spokesperson? that's like calling OJ an advocate for nonviolence.

July 2, 2011 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmie

You are an idiot. Why don't you do just a tad bit of research online. Spend 15secs and you can find that $1 million has been set aside to pay for his dogs that were seized. It was ordered by the court even.

July 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Do your research. The rehab center where the dogs were taken received $18,275.00 per dog for 22 dogs.

July 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary ann

all money ordered by the court. Nothing to do with vick realizing he didn't just do wrong. He's a murderer. Do you get that? All you people talking about the money and any psa he's made. He was ordered to do that. Do you get the difference between the darkness in someone's heart who could torture like he did and what the court ordered??? Do you need it spelled out. Why would you even think about defending him in any way. People like you make me sick

July 2, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy The Puppet

@Are We There Yet: "If he really has turned himself around, why hasn't he contributed ANYTHING to the costs of rehabilitating and resocializing the dogs that survived being owned by him? Can you tell me that? He's rich.... again. If he really felt remorse, he'd make it right by paying the costs of boarding, feeding, healing, and re-homing those dogs. Not a dime. Easy to say he's sorry – his actions speak far louder than his words. He's a loser. always will be." - Do you have evidence to support your claim?

July 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • God'schild1

Let God be the judge not u.

July 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CutTheBS

AreWeTherYet – I'm guessing you prefer to just be angry. Get your facts straight and cut the BS. There are several stories about Vic's contributions to the owner's of the dogs he previously owned and to organizations like the SPCA. A simple google search will provide some necessary proof to help you get over yourself.

July 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guester

Think his public relations people told him to do that to help his image? Gullible much?

July 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • throttlechop

I personally do not prefer to be angry. What I prefer is to live in a world in which people do not torture animals- and if they do, they lose the right to get paid millions to act as role models.

July 3, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

@ AreWeTherYet. Allocating money for the treatment of the dogs you speak would be nice. But in the larger picture of things, you are talking about a trivial thing. Not to say it is not important, but the obligations he has committed to is more than fair repayment. Jot to mention the fact he turned his life around which, I think you agree is difficult to do sometimes. I hardly think he is a loser. What he was is not who he is today. He can't be, he did 2 years in prison and lost everything. That is why I say I am proud of him. We all make mistakes, some worse than others but we surely make them. I just think forgiveness is in order here and he is a better person. I believe if his teammates, family and others can forgive. Surely, you can.

July 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Casey

@Arewethereyet. There is a video of Mike Vick on youtube when he was given the key to Dallas. In this video he clearly states on camera..."I don't F'n care about the dogs". It could be me, but... I get the feeling.. he hasn't really changed. Just sayin....

July 3, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Ramblin' Reagan

Casey do you got the link to that video?

July 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deangelo

I understand people have strong opinions on this sensitive subject but please get your facts right before posting.
      Part of Mike Vicks sentence was to pay for the surviving dogs care.

July 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • age

how do u know he didnt give back to the dogs and their foundation...do your research before u judge

July 1, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alienxfb14

He is working with PETA and The Humane Society to do those very things. He also donates money and his time to charitable organizations to HUMANS, which, despite what pathetic people like you think, are much more important than animals.

July 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • SiliconValley123

He has donated money towards animal foundations and so has the Eagles organization...I would do some research before you start spewing lies.

July 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • YKG

How do you know he hasn't? Just because it isn't broadcasted like everything else doesn't necessarily mean he isn't giving back.

July 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myk

@AreWeTherYet...You must be a real genius, have you not heard from ASPCA and PETA, he has done more than what the courts have ordered him to do. He has done more PSA's than were required. He has donated more of his time than required too.
      Also, to the rest of you, as a Nike stockholder, if you do not want to purchase anything else the company sells, consider the 8 million dollars that Nike gives to the LIVESTRONG foundation, plus the other charities that Nike donates too!

July 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oi

And you're aware of the exact details of what he has and has not done in that regard how?

July 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • bruce

He has contributed money and time, not to mention the million he gave prior to being sentenced. Its apparent you just want something to gripe about, especially since you don't even know what you are talking about.

July 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • IKUS

Amen to that and thank you

July 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • jenny

actually he did pay for the dogs rehab, and training...i believe a million

July 20, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • jenny

actually he did pay for the dogs rehab and training...i believe a million dollars

July 20, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. GG

He did his time, people. I'm happy for him. Why can't a guy turn over a new leaf? I've seen more forgiveness put towards murderers. We all know he did wrong, but worse has been done and people have been forgiven. Leave it alone.

Like someone else pointed out, don't buy their shoes then.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fish Destin

I have 3 kids and I have spent my last dime on Nike. Too bad, I like the Frees.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hi

You have to learn to forgive

July 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becky

I will NEVER purchse another Nike product again!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. D

I actually read about a study that of 1000 Michael Vick fans questioned and tested, they came back with an average IQ of 89. Just saying...

July 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Freshies

Vick will mess up again, you'll see.

July 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • SD

Just as one can be sure of that about anyone...so your statement is pointless

July 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nunya

No more Nike's for me!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nope

Bye-bye, Nike. Oh, wait...I wasn't buying your overpriced junk anyway.

July 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cindy

YOU GOT TO FORGIVE JUST LIKE GOD FORGIVE US ALL. YOU CAN NOT GET IN HEAVEN BY JUDGING PEOPLE.

July 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. troll baba loo

@aguyfromtexas and other idiots of his ilk, So how bout I take your favorite dog, assuming you own one and put it in a ring with a vicious pit bull that was bred for nothing but killing? Yeah didn't think so hypocrite

July 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mad?

Mike Vick is my Role Model! and the Role Model of my children! Go VICK!

July 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GG

And by the way, i find it ironic that people were OK buying Nike's when they JUSt used slave labor and such, but now that they support this guy, NOW is when they don't want to buy them anymore.

July 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • chariega

EXACTLY!!! it took michael vick to make a deal with nike before people thought twice about the 8 year old kid in a sweat shop who makes their overpriced trainers...

boycott vick? why not boycott the inhumane treatment of the kids earning $1/day to make those ugly shoes.

July 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Spencer

I'm sorry he may have paid for his crimes but some crimes are unforgivable.It would even be one thing if he just puts the dogs down but he brutually tortured and executed them in horrific ways. I won't buy nike products either. Every apology he has made thus far is an act purely to help his career. And if you think otherwise you are blind.

July 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lanfear

I am a dog owner, animal lover, and SPCA volunteer. What Vick did to those dogs sickened me.

However, I also have the ability to think rationally and offer forgiveness. I believe that people CAN change, and learn, and grow. How long do we need to carry our grudge against him? If you are still angry with him, then tell us what he can do at last to make you happy. He is human and humans make mistakes. Unfortunately this one involved cruelty towards innocent dogs. I don't believe he would have become spokesperson against dog-fighting if he truly didn't understand how wrong he was.
    He also served his time in prison. So get over it, and if you want something to be outraged about, try the husky sled dog slaughter in Whistler. I protested against it and I never protest anything!

July 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Russ

Very simple. He can donate all that he makes beyond living expenses for a middle-class person to animal protection charities, and not seek more millions via endorsements. Play football if that's the only way he can make a living (which I'm sure is the case) but keep a low, low profile. And oh yeah, stay in scuzzy Philly...it's a perfect fit.

July 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jay Leary

Awesome! Maybe Nike can feature an ad where Michael smiles at the camera while drowning one of his dogs. Unreal....

July 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Direbel

Good for him he deserves it. Some people are cruel to humans and they get a slap on the wrist. He did more than his time... GO Nike!!! I totally support the decision.

July 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |