Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. r

THIS IS A JOKE >>> RIGHT

July 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. paschal

Arewe theryet. You still wouldn't forgive him if he did that.

July 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Defender of Your Freedom

Get over the bs already! Vick is human, let him be...Nike has great products thats worth every dime, I'd over pay any day...All you with negative comments should use your efforts and time to get our gas prices down or any of our other many real world problems!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hypocrite Nation

All you people saying you won't buy Nike again what do you want a badge? SO WHAT. Most of you wear lame azz brands like Sketchers anyway.

July 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SgtMaj

a white cop can kill a person by accidentally pulling his instead of his taser and gets less time than VIck. VICK deserves a second chance.. all you haters.

July 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrite Nation

EXACTLY.

July 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Aundrae Anderson

Let he without sin cast the first stone. I will assume by some of the comments on this that there are a lot of you who have never made a mistake and asked for forgiveness; It does not mean you forget, by it does mean you move on. If God never forgave you for all of your wrong where would you be now?

July 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judge Dredd

PETA never makes a mistake, they never destroy property or humiliate people in public......

I am the law

July 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Martin

It disgusts me that this piece of human filth was allowed back in the NFL and one of the reasons I no longer follow the sport.

There are so many alternatives to Nike that I will happily purchase other brands. Nike has lost my business.

July 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hot Karl

He broke the law, he got caught, he paid the price. What do you want? The death penalty? Move on.

July 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RIPdogs46

It is just about money for Michael Vick...nothing else. Michael Vick knew right from wrong when he was involved in the dog fighting/killing, otherwise he would not have tried to hide it from authorities in the first place Lanfear. He became a spokesperson so that he could play football again and make millions...simple. Like I said before, if I were to commit a felony, there is no way I would have my old career back in 20 months.

July 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SgtMaj

sorry left out GUN

July 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. FRED

Not that it makes difference in hell , but Nike lost a customer

July 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. troll baba loo

Yes we shouldn't let bank robbers back in banks, we don't let s ex offenders back on the internet do we? So what's the difference? Oh I know HE'S a sports figure so HE'S more important. BS!

July 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

Did Vick kill another football player or beat a fan in the stands?...your analogy is way off. The guy's not going back to work at a zoo or dog kennel – it's football.

July 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hypocrite Nation

So is it cool that ESPN or some other "sports" networks show deer hunting? You do know people kill animals for sport all the time legally right? Why no outrage for that? Hey look at my ELK on the wall!

July 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Seattle1

When the Eagles recruited Michael Vick I stopped watching and supporting the Eagles. To this day I have not watched, supported, or wore any Eagles clothing.

Now that Nike has given this man a contract, I will not be supporting anything Nike and will not wear my Nike clothing or shoes. I am sorry that Nike feels it necessary to give Michael Vick a contract. There are so many more deserving athletes.

Your company should be ashamed. I am very disappointed in your company.

July 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lanfear

For those of you who just can't get over what he did... maybe you have issues with letting go. Holding onto anger isn't healthy. Get checked out.

July 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Margaux

He's right where he belongs...in the N(ational) F(felon) League. He"ll always be a SMUG SOB!

July 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |