Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Vicks Cool, Love NIkes

LOL at all the people casting stones at the man on this comment section. So I guess none of you have ever sinned and/or did something wrong and needed another chance?....Michael Vicks a young man who made a horrible mistake. The god you all worship and praise would be more than willing to give him another chance...In your twisted holier than thou type way of thinking do you think you and your opinion mean more than that of your father in heaven?............Go Vick, I bought 2 pairs of Nikes this morning and im glad hes on the right path.

July 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. troll baba loo

@lanfear: no idiot, they're both detestable, I was only trying to make a point which went way beyond you ability to understand. Quit watching so much sports and go back to school.

July 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

I was never talking to you......... and... I hate sports! o.O

July 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chad

I'll tell you what is sick – the man made a mistake, he took his punishment like a man (20 months in FEDERAL prison) and he lost millions of dollars. He came out of prison and didnt hide, he stood up like a man and admitted his wrongs, has done a great deal to show young kids that what he did was wrong, and made it all the way to the top of the sport! He could have turned to drugs and alcohol and just gave up on life like so many others do, but no, he fought to get his life back... to me that is worthy of respect no matter how you feel about the mistake he made. Nike sees that, and some of you others need to see it. I'm sure some of you that are down on him and now down on Nike, have your own skeletons in your closet. he paid his dues!

July 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rob campf

No more Nikes for me or my family!! Thanks Nike for showing the world where you stand. You're CEO must be a real bonehead to make a choice like Vick.

July 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hah

That's extremely childish of you. Vick is still making more money in one year than you will see in a lifetime. Get over it.

July 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Hah: I think it is very childish of you to write such a comment. At least Rob stands for good morals and solid ideals! At least we see where you stand!

July 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whaaa

Because "Good Morals" means you should never forgive and forget. Right.

July 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Hah: Also, you must associate money with success in life? People like you make me sick! Get a grip on what's truly important in life!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian DC

I have to agree here, no more Nikes for me either (they're all made in China anyways). That dirt bag fits well in that city of brotherly dirt bags.

July 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • New Englander fo life

YOUR THE REAL BONE HEAD, YOU THINK PEOPLE DONT MAKE MISTAKES!!! GO AHEAD, DONT BUY NIKES DO YOU REALLY THINK THE COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS YOU SPEND REALLY MATTER!!! LMBO

July 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

No....I agree with forgive and forget; however, each action comes with a result. Michael Vick can get a "second chance" without getting paid millions. I think that it shows poor on the morals of Nike.

July 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicks Cool, Love NIkes

Brian of DC just called China a "City of Dirtbags"....."City"............Ignorant. lol

Why no rebuttal for his "Good morals" means you should never forgive and forget?....its funny I see so many of you trolling knowing youre wearing Nikes, your kids are wearing Nikes, and youre going to continue wearing them.

Stop the BS, stop reaching.

July 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Russ

Absolutely agree. Not one more Nike product for our family...ever.

July 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

I believe everyone deserves a second chance..We all have made mistakes and done thing we wish we could take back...I'm happy for Michael Vick and wish him nothing but success!!!

July 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • tmorgan

You people disgust me. How long is this guy supposed to pay for this. You act like you are without fault and have never done anything that you needed forgiveness for in your life. Take a long look in the mirror and then judge. Nike does not need you anyway, they make billions. Your little money wont matter!

July 1, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jason

I have an idea for a slogan:

"Nike footwear. It keeps your dogs from barking."

July 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MaLLy

Mike Vick made a terrible mistake and regardless if he joined the "Dogfighting Prohibition" group for PR reasons is not important. The fact that Nike decided to re-sign him is on Nike, and not Mike's fault. Football is his skill and main talent and the fact the NFL let him comeback is on the NFL not Vick, and the fact he has been keeping himself out of trouble is fine by me for him to keep playing football.

I wonder if the same people complaining about Vick cause an uproar over police brutality? Do you storm the precinct or chat boards and scream "Excessive Force" or "Brutality" or "I will never trust another officer again, the force lost my faith when they let officers come back to the force for breaking the protect and serve motto"? OR do you write complaint letters to the Chief of Police expressing your disgust? I doubt it very much, so let the man live his life and make decisions on his own.

None of us are perfect and sometimes make very poor decisions, but that doesnt mean people deserve a second chance if they are willingly and openly making honest and genuine changes. Seems like some of you all place more value on animals than you do a humans? Just curious?

July 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

I agree with you....."everyone deserves a second chance", however, I don't think that there should be such huge financial compensation associated with guys like Michael Vick and Tiger Woods.

Don't you think Nike has a moral obligation to promote role models who are "good people"?

July 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • erik

i have never posted any comments on any of these replies by people. but i thought i would take a second tot hank you for putting your comment out there. everyone is quick to be judgemental, but if the tables were turned they would want a second chance.
      im a dog owner and thought what he did was wrong, but i am also a fan of second chances. coming from a family where things were not always going my way, i realized that second chances are needed because mistakes will be made along the way of the thing we call life. so continue to judge, continue to be filled with hate, and what you wish for might just be given to you. as for the the person who wrote this comment, great job.

July 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Patrick

Nike has two of the world's poorest spokesmen. Tiger Woods and Michael Vick???? Aren't there other athletes who actually deserve a chance to promote such a large product? Not to mention both of them are getting ridiculously large amounts of money (as if they are being rewarded for less than role model greatness).

July 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicks Cool, Love NIkes

They are being rewarded for what happens in their respective arenas.....Not for how you, I, or anyone else for that matter feels about their personal daily life. Its a Sports Brand, they are great athletes in the realm of Sports............See how that works?....Hes not selling bibles hes selling Jerseys, Shoes, and Shoulder Pads.

You should work on being a better role model for those you want influenced, and stop looking at an athlete to do so...By your logic it seems as if you would think that if you had kids....Public figures should be who they idolize and look up to...Not you......Which makes me ask....Do you find yourself lacking anything worthy enough for someone to look up to....so you expect these larger than life figures to pick up your slack? Its okay youre just another mindless fool incapable of realizing whats really going on.

Have a good day.

July 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BasicThought

I loved buying overpriced teeny bopper clothes like Nike when I was like 10. Now I own their stock and they pay me.

July 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lanfear

Guess what everyone. The steak and pork and chicken from the supermarket that you love so much... those are animals who are regularly treated the same, or worse as the dogs that Vick abused. This happens on a daily basis and you CONSUME them. So how does it feel to be a hypocrite?

July 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

simply put – you are full of crap. the two situations are NOT comparable.

July 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • RIPdogs46

There are a lot of other dog lovers out here who do eat meat, but eating pork, chicken, beef is not a felony...at the beginning of "the lost dogs" the author explained why he wrote the book and why dogs mean so much to so many people as opposed to other animals. In my honest opinion I believe that Vick knew what he was doing was wrong from the beginning and that he was getting pleasure from it...and there is no excuse for that...people have different opinions about dogs but there is a reason why they are the only animal that is called "man's best friend"...dogs are different than Humans, I do agree on that, but unlike humans they show love unconditionally.

July 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Vicks Cool, Love NIkes

I bet if he had the same skin color as Tom Brady all this hoopla wouldnt be going on. Paris Hilton is sniffing coke and driving drunk all over America but youre all buying her products and letting your kids worship her. This guy went to prison, came out, established funding for the animals he hurt, and has been touring the nation speaking against what he now realizes was a horrible act on his part.

We as Americans are hilarious....We turn our nose up at other countries for their seemingly more violent behavior...But were quick to scream for Blood just as fast as any of the so called villains we criticize.

July 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peri

Well said.

July 1, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • unbiasedfootballfan

I was waiting for somebody to try make this about race and unfortunately it happened. You should be ashamed... do you honestly think that if Tom Brady was arrestd today for torturing,drowning and elctrocuting dogs that the media would cover it up? It would be the biggest story on every website and every news program. I am sick of people trying to defend someones actions by playing the race card.

July 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • unbiasedfootballfan

July 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Conway Twill

Well I guess that means no more Nike crap for me.

July 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NotForYou

Vick eats dog meat.

July 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ForCryingOutLoud

Amen Bill!!!! You hit the proverbial nail on its proverbial head.

All of you who are so upset over this should also stop buying chicken, beef, pork, etc. from the dirty, stinkin', filthy processing plants. You should read, see how they treat AND kill animals..
    Get over yourselves.

July 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark

Very disturbing.
    Poor corporate ethics.

Nike Just don't buy it

July 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mark

Like many here, I will not purchase another Nike product as long as Vick is a spokesman. For those who say he deserves a "second chance" – I agree. A second chance at being a good person, but he should NOT have been allowed back in the NFL, should NOT have won a BET award, and should NOT be a spokesman for any self-respecting company. Nike – I own your shoes, socks, shorts, shirts, hats, headbands, golf clubs, golf balls, and probably several other products. NO MORE.

July 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff

Mark? Why shouldn't Vick be allowed back in the NFL? Ray Lewis was allowed back in the league basically for murder. Leonard Little was allowed back in for DUI and actually killing someone after being drunk behind the wheel? Dante Stallworth was allowed back in the league for DUI Manslaughter?? Some how i don't think you had any opinion when these players were allowed back in the league?? Vick has EVERY right just as you do to earn a living and provide for his family??

July 1, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |