Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Lethewithoutsincast1ststone

Maybe we should let Charles Manson out too? WOW Phillip! You probably purposely run over squirrels and kill bugs for fun. They are creatures nonetheless. You are guilty of something and need to be forgiven. Don't put standards on another man that you don't want on you.

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

Put Vick and Manson in a dog fighting ring armed with knifes or something like that. I would pay to see that!

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

What am I guilty of? What am I putting on myself? I don't kill anything! You're missing the sarcasm.

Get over yourself. I'm pretty sure I know what you are. 😉

July 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jt

Vick is the lowest form of life...shame on Nike and the NFL for that matter! This monster is a vicious criminal and I don't believe for a second that has truly changed his ways!

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Glass houses and throwing stones don't go well together. So let he who is without...
      Nevermind. You wouldn't get it anyway...

July 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

'Scott
      Nevermind. You wouldn't get it anyway...'

No, you are the one not getting it. This is not 'hey dont do that nonsense', the guy committed multiple crimes, perpetrated horrific animal cruelty. There is no 'sin' I have ever done in my life that even comes close to his.

July 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

Cedar Rapids – "That's like, your opinion, man."

July 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • spm

Cedar Rapids: In no way would I condone his behavior but he had a trial, was found guilty, served jail time... he has served his sentence. Let's move on.

July 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

Yeah.... the lowest form of life? I guess you put pedophil3s above him then?

July 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peri

Funny how you are angrier at Michael Vick than you are at child predators. Perhaps there's a bit more to why you hate him so much....

July 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • unbiasedfootballfan

I think you all should do some research before you speak and realize that the police link cruelty to animals with more sadistic crimes like serial killing and rapists. That is just another reason why it is important to find these people and lock them up before they move on to other crimes. Make fun of this comment all you want but its true and backed up by evidence.

July 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • wow

The only lesson Vick learned is how to operate his dog fighting business better so he doesn't get caught again.

July 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • wow

@Peri
      Where was child molesters even mentioned? How do you make that assumption because someone feels so negatively towards someone who tortured defenseless animals? Your lack of logic helps me see why you would support someone like Vick.

and to all those saying that stupid glass house quote, I take it you follow that guideline for child molesters as well? Oh you dont? thought so...

July 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deez

Good move! He deserves it! Mega-talented!

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

He is Mega Talented. He jump-roped dogs until they died.WHAT A GREAT GUY! HOW TALENTED!

ONCE A SOCIOPATH. ALWAYS A SOCIOPATH.

July 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Hitler was "mega talented" as well. Moron.

July 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick W

enjoy that welfare check. maybe buy another pair of nike's

July 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • stretfordend

I have more respect for him than the idiots on jersey shore!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ETM

My dog wears Nike's.

July 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. i rock

this guy will get his, and Nike will be "bitten" by Karma,

July 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

You'll break your neck to save a dog, but won't life a finger to help stranded, hungry, overheated, desparate PEOPLE to be rescued when the levy breaks. Priorities. Heard of'em???

July 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monica

Scott – being against torture of animals doesn't mean that it follows that people aren't willing to help people. Your logic is pretty faulty.

July 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish Gene

Scott sure does seem to know facts about people he's never met. Must be a god.

July 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Piper

Another reason to boycott Nike in our home. Sorry, but he didn't truly PAY for all those animals who lost their lives. He might be sorry, but we won't ever support him (or anything he does). We don't watch any game that he plays in, and Nike doesn't get our money.

July 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jomm

I do not think Nike care about you. YOur home is NOT going to break Nike. My home will continue to support Nike.

July 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common$ense

Is this PIPER PALIN??? Who cares about your home and your support... I mean really...WHO CARES!!! If you don't like him...WHO CARES!!!!! I don't like YOU...but really...WHO CARES....

July 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

I agree with you completely! HE disqualified HIMSELF from ever being a role model or hero. Shame on NIKE!

July 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ummm

I by no means condone dog fighting, I actually rank it lower than torturing a person. However, I have made mistakes in my life as I'm sure the rest of you have and everyone deserves to learn and grow from the thing they did in their past.

July 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrite Nation

You rank killing dogs lower than torturing humans? Really dude. Funny how that doesn't cross a dogs mind when they're mauling someone.

July 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Now is Nike and Gillette going to rehire Tiger Woods?

After all, he's just as great a human being as Vick.

I help to rescue and save dogs. Is Nike going to hire me?

I'm with Trip. I stopped wearing them years ago!

July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish Gene

Buy American. New Balance makes most of their stuff here.

July 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. opoo

Am getting my new nike this weekend. go mike, those haters have nothing on you. you paid your dues.

July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

Paid his dues??? He's still breathing.

July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

R C – So is Charles Manson.

July 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary ann

Moron. Go back to your budweise.

July 2, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Shari

Unbelievable!!! He was only remorseful because he got caught! He'd still be abusing these dogs today if he hadn't been arrested for it! No more Nike's for me!

July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Barb

Second chances are worthwhile for those who have the ability to change and deserve them. By giving endorsements, companies are showing the world and especially young impressionable kids, that what Michael Vick did to animals is okay, and that is fundamentally wrong.

July 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

When Mr. Vick is convicted of animal cruelty again, I will agree with you.

July 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish Gene

Troy,

He wasn't convicted of dog fighting, but racketeering. It was the money part, not the terribly cruel acts. That's why it was a Fed case. Thanks for playing.

July 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myk

@Barb....You small minded little person. I am sure nobody, to include Nike, condones what Mr. Vick did. Have you ever broken the law? Received a speeding or parking ticket? Sped and not caught? If you can say no to all of those questions, then your statement is great and I will support you 100%, if not....then SHUT UP! You broke the law and you are in the same category. Then maybe we should never be able to do our jobs ever again and earn a living.

July 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. VegasSmitty

My family will never purchase another Nike product!

July 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • givehimachance

who cares? Nike doesn't want your money

July 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

givehimachance

who cares? Nike doesn't need your money.

There... fixed it for you.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ben

I completely agree with jt.

July 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NORI

for all you ne sayers this man has done wrong yes but who hasnt he is human and we as people seem to forget that but he has done more good then a lil bit . But what i dont get is when he was catching balls and making plays oh he was the man but as soon as a he mess up oh we hate him STOP IT ! Its crazy that as a black football player he mess up the world ends but brett farve do something he gets a slap on the damn hand. #teamvick

July 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • i rock

@ NORI

UMMMM Brett Farve never killed anything, BIG BIG BIG difference there buddy. And i was waiting for some idiot to bring race into this.

July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellis

Brett never used helpless dogs as jumpropes you fool, all Brett did was the same thing that Tiger, Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Dwyane Wade, Karl Malone, Steve McNair did. BIG difference on cheating and killing.

July 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Play the black card? Maybe you should get a GED first or at least reference the spell check?

July 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • joy

NORI clearly you're too uneducated to understand the connections between animal cruelty and anti-social personality disorder. this is way beyond oh he committed a crime and did the time. he and his little cronies were a bunch of vicious animal killing thugs. as far as forgiveness goes the only thing this man worships is the almighty dollar, which is good because he needs plenty to get him out of the mess his stupid self got into in the first place because in addition to being nuts, he also is a poor money manager. he's never ONCE come out and said man, i did some terrible stuff, forgive me world for torturing those animals. and the animals that made it and the people who take care of them won't see a DIME of his Nike $. and put the race card back in the deck moron, because it's not even remotely close to being a situation where it needs to be played.

July 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lisa

Hey Nike,
    Why don't you find a positive role model? How about Hines Ward? How about someone kids can look up to? Why don't you start setting an example? Maybe Tiger Woods can redeem himself, but Vick will always be evil.

July 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Helena22

I think a good role model isn't someone who has never made a mistake, but someone who has admitted their mistake, done their time and hasn't repeated it. No one is going to have a clean record their entire life no matter what their profession is, so let this man live his life and continue to show that people can redeem themselves. Sheesh.

July 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Vick, did his time; get over it and quit trying to give him a life sentence

July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JP

Jesus Christ is a roll model....at best athletes are entertainment.

July 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

While I agree, unless JC signs up with Nike, I think it's people like Vick who are going to be seen by the younger kids

July 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Veteran

The animal worshipfuls just can get over the fact that even though what he did was not good, he serve more time than some who have injured or hurt a human being of course the perfect animal lovers could care less, so get out of your glass house forgive and move on!!

July 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

'No one is going to have a clean record their entire life no matter what their profession is'
      define clean record. I know i have no criminal conviction for animal cruelty.

July 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myk

@Lisa...the only perfect person on this earth was persecuted. I guess nobody will be as great as you and Jesus, but since Nike cannot contract him please have your agent contact Nike about becoming the only person worthy of an endorsement.

July 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |