Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Alienxfb14

Have you noticed that it's mostly weak-minded, tree-hugging Soccer moms that are against this and want to boycott Nike?

July 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

No, it's college educated young woman and men who want to make sure that the chidren they raise have responsible young men & women (black or white) to look up to. Why don't you go down to your local animal shelter and volunteer for a few months and look at the dogs and cats that come in – that have been abused, mentally and physically. It's always so easy to sit back and say "it wasn't that bad" until you actually have see the pain and the hurt that is inflicted...then you would be out-raged and wanting justice.

July 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Larry

Makes ya wonder what would have happened to Pete Rose if he'd been black. You think he would've been banned for life? HELL, no. That would have been racist.

July 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robin

NIKE should be ashamed of this business decision. VICK is NOT a role model for young men to be aspiring too. He has never been sorry for what he did only for being caught! This isn't just about fighting dogs, it is about his inability to OWN what he did. Has everyone forgotten that he stood in front of the public and DENIED the charges against him...and only when photographs surfaced of him participating in the Dog Fights did he say he was Guilty! A REAL MAN accepts his wrong doing and the punishment that goes with it. What has Vick learned...that he got caught -but who cares becasue America will still pay me to play, pay me to sell merchandise. That is what we are teaching our young men and it is no wonder why we have so many people being arrested for violence and drugs...when your role models are not held accountable then who is left to look up too.

July 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shane Wright

@Robin...Do you know him personally? Have you been to one of his speaking engagements?....Do you follow him on twitter(lol)...If you answered NO to any of these questions please shut up! You cannot speak about something you know nothing about....Do you know what is in his heart? No, so again I ask that you shut up.

July 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Done

Everyone is sorry because they got caught doing something wrong. Its how they handle the situation going forward that counts. He did his time and he's doing really well in his life and thats what people look at. Stop looking in the past and move forward. I'm certain you did a lot of stupid shyt in your life and since you haven't gotten caught you continue to be the #### that you are.

July 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • stretfordend

antoher salty white man..you are all hypocrites simple and short....you all sit behind the anonymity of ure computers and just hate..yet u do the sickest things behind closed doors...he committed a crime and served his time..end of story!!

July 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

@ Shayne – have you ever volunteered at a shelter and seen the animals that come in from these rings? Did you volunterer to adopt and or work with the rescue groups that helped these dogs...did you offer money to support their efforts? Did you read the book about the Vicks dogs? Did you read the court transcripts that are public record? I did and I have seen the pain infliced on dogs from dog fights. So until you have done you time working with dogs (and cats) that are hurting maybe you should SHUT-UP. If you want to support this man just because he has Athletic abilty that's your money wasted...just remember that it was your money to begin with that he used to sponser his kennel and dog fighting. He is not a role model...

July 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shane Wright

@ROBIN I actually HAVE read about the dogs and I actually HAVE a dog that I adopted from a shelter for abused animals. I acually HAVE picked up a stray and brough her to a local SPCA. I didnt ask you about his crime I asked you about his CHARACTER. You spoke of what he has and has not done and now you do the same to me. I have nothing to prove to you, you self righteous clown. You should maybe calm down and focus on something that you can actually have an impact on...and how convenient that YOU have volunteered at an animal shelter...is that just to make your post more interesting? He may not be a role model but neither is the majority of people in the world. Ever been to college and partied all night and had random s*x, ever been so drunk you couldnt walk straight...ever told a lie to get what you wanted? Im guessing you arent much of a role model either. Good day...No more responses from me...you arent worth the minute it took to write this.

July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alienxfb14

This video is for people who are boycotting Nike!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc&w=640&h=360]

July 1, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meester

If she likes cats that much, this chick should date the internet.

July 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

So glad I'm not in the dating world anymore

July 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Second Chance

Um, can you say crazy cat lady

July 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

Sad... Not that Vick got his endorsement back, but how he is still being attacked. Not only did he serve his debt in prison, for whatever that is worth, but he's become a solid community person and has done as much as he can to make amends. Most of the things he has done aren't huge press events, because he isn't in it for that anymore. If anything, he is reformed, and people need to recognize that and stop acting like anything associated with Vick is evil.

July 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexander

Couldn't have said it better. Ashamed to be a public American sometimes.

July 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

This Nike contract doesnt bring those dogs back to life.

July 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The TRUTH

RACISIM, THE USUAL, SUSPECTS...

July 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. troll baba loo

Forward twenty five years- HeadLine news Micheal Vick once a well loved football player has been charged in the beating death of his separated wife. Hmm sound familiar?

July 1, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Vince

They're just dogs for crying out loud...stop whining and get over it! Geez...he did his time already...what more do you want? People whine more about a freakin' dog being hurt than when their fellowman is suffering. It's just an animal...same as the animals you slap between two buns and eat...

July 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • L. Hauser

Just dogs, really? Is that the best you can do. Personally, I think they should have people like you fighting and betting instead for money!

July 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

This is America... We are dog lovers. Grasp the concept because I dont see it changing anytime soon.

July 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Turd Furgason

What the hell is going on in these boards?

July 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alexander

I am 17, fresh out of High School, and after experiencing quite a bit in my young life, as a representative of many opinion locally [Of same age group] I can tell you I am ashamed to be a citizen of the same public as you all that can openly bash a man's character like this. I fully recognize what crimes he committed [Or was accused of doing so] and also am a proud owner of two of my own dogs that came to me as puppies on day one, and I still see no rationalizing factor in your knocking of Vick. I am ashamed. As a 17 year old citizen, ashamed.

July 1, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Alienxfb14

You Vick-haters ever see that dating video about the girl who can't stop crying because she loves cats so much? Yea, that's you guys...pathetic.

July 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jim

@Shane Wright: I wouldn't give one red cent to go to any engagement he was at. No, I wouldn't take money to go to any engagement he was to appear at. I've got better things to do than to go see some low life piece of c rap.

July 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • panthers1285

So don't go. He served his time. Get over it!!! Free MIKE VICK!!!

July 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Done

They should delete this article because it's only a place for soccer moms to come on here and act like its the end of the world.

Let me just post the comments for all the soccer moms:
    (Whining)
    "I'm not buying Nike anymore" -Who cares
    "He is only sorry because he got caught" – Isn't that how it usually is?
    "Anyone that can harm dogs are evil" – Let me just shoot a deer and call it a day
    "Time to boycott Nike"- You do know that Vick has more fans than you will have for the boycott.

July 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Judge Dredd

It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

July 1, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John e

People give it a rest.....people criticise like they are perfect......Vick I applaud you making a comeback and turning a new leaf...if people want to keep referring to your past...tell them to be honest and say that they have never lied or cheated before......don't be hypocrites...forgive.....don't leave on the past

July 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |