Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Siara Delyn

Need a chew toy for your dog? Consider an old Nike.

July 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eric Smith

Michael Vick is a better player today and he is a better person today following his term in federal prison. Personally I live in a glass house, so I cannot throw stones. Second chances and forgiveness is something that has saved me, so that element of grace should not end at MY feet.

July 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Royalty426

It's funny how no one wants to give a person a second chance or forgiveness. But I'm sure they seek exactly that when they make a mistake regardless of its magnitude. I'm amazed at how surprised some of you are that he gained an endorsement deal back. He went back to his profession after he PAID his debt to society, one that includes your ignorant, unforgiving, jealous, and envious self. He has a talent that allows him to earn well. He's a free man in a capitalistic society, Nike has freedom to do business with him. You have freedom not to do business with Nike. But to shout out in the "Whoa is me!!!" fashion over an issue that really doesn't affect your life is just down right foolishness. Look in the mirror and adjust your life for your successes or failures and mind your business!!! Let the man live!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

well-written and thanks. As you forgive so will our loving God forgive you. No one is perfect

July 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brian

It's really sad to see so many people not willing to give the guy a second chance. The guy did wrong. He paid for those wrongs, and he's spent a lot of time talking to other people about the horrors of what he did and how it's wrong. What more can the guy do?

July 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Vick has not done anything of his own volition. He is a sociopath, he only cares for Michael Vick and being able to attain what Michael wants at any given time, no matter the cost to any other being, human or canine. His inner circle, his entourage, know his mental and emotional sickness, and support it.

July 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • vic

Yup he has spent a lot of time speaking to other people because he has too. The man has never shown any remorse for what he did. He should be treated like he treated those poor dogs. Niki lost a lot of money the last time they endorsed him, maybe they will go out of business this time.

July 4, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Alivia

Yay for Vick! Not everyone's tripping about dogs! Your talent has proven you deserve it as much as the next exceptional player! I applaud Nike for being above the simple. I'll surely buy more NIKE!!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mike

They kill chickens, cows, turkeys, big deal!!!!!!! Move on!!!!! Go NY Giants!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guester

BOYCOTT NIKE

July 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

"They" don't kill chickens because they didn't do well in a fight, "they" don't take their own "chicken" and hold it up by the neck so it can't breathe until "they" then finish off the "chicken" by drowning it. But Michael did just that. Think 17 months in prison fixed that type of sick personality ? Guess again !

July 1, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Grandma

Don't know why anyone buys NIKE. Their shoes are made overseas for almost nothing then sold to you for hundreds. That's how they pay almost every athlete in almost every sport such big contracts!.

July 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grandpa

Get your facts straight Nike is making shoes in the USA also.

July 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Guester

Not that Nike, or the NFL for that matter, had much credibility but what shred they had is long gone.

July 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jude

I've bought Nike products for YEARS (I'm now 60 years old) but will NEVER EVER buy another item affiliated with Nike!!! Michael Vick is no more rehabilitated than Jeffrey Dahmer!!! His only problem was that he GOT CAUGHT--he only pretends to be sorry but his soul is evil and that has NOT changed!!! Nike AND the NFL should be ashamed to coddle this vicious animal slaughtering criminal!!!

July 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. troll baba loo

Need a chew toy, give your dog a Micheal Vick. Now THAT would be true justice.

July 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ekim corcho

Hey they eat dogs in china...

July 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Really?

I will never wear a pair of nike sneakers or anything with the name on it again! What this man did is unforgiveable! And, I too hope he dies a cruel death just like some of "his" dogs did.

July 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alex

And, with this said, I have purchased my LAST item from Nike from here on. He is, and always will be, a MONSTER. And, any company affiliated with him (trying to make a buck off of him) is one that I will no longer patronize.

July 1, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CuriousG

I disagree with what he did but I am happy that he turned his life around. I am also glad he contributes money and time to animal rights groups. As for the people who are boycotting Nike, You have just convinced me to go out and buy a pair myself. To Vick, good luck on your life and career.

July 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. troll baba loo

Hmm wonder what the licensing agreement would be to make little Micheal Vick chew toys, I suppose I'd have to go through the NFL as I'd want to make before and after Micheal Vick chew toys. I'd also want to get the flavor right so I'd have to have a taste tester to find out what Micheal Vick tasted like. Looks to me like there would be a HUGE market for it though.

July 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |