Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. ken

Eric learn proper english before commenting please. Don't use an before a word that begins with a consonant, use a.

July 1, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tess

He hasn't just done his time. He pleaded guilty, apologized, spoke out against abuse of animals.
    An example was made of him, and if even two kids learned that abusing animals can send you to jail, then time well served.
    Forgiveness people. Even animals forgive.

July 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. f* *k pitbulls

GOOD!! GO VICK!!

July 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristine

You are a complete F-head! I happen to own a pit bull, they (really are) big babies and my dog adores my 2 yr old granddaughter. so take your foot and stick up your a– as far as it will go. You never had a pit bull so FU too. you and vick should get a room together and share all the ignorance you both possess and lets see who comes out the better of the two...my guess wouldn't be you.

July 2, 2011 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. bill

Done his time my @ss I've known people who got a lot more time for doing a whole lot less than what he did, quit glorifying the POS. BTW the only remorse he has is that he ever got caught to begin with, he'd STILL be doing it if he hadn't.

July 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. john

F* *k Vick's

July 1, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john the baptist

Well there's some animals that can't forgive because they were tortured by Michael Vick! Oh but that doesn't matter to you good church going people because you have all the forgiveness in the world for someone who can play ball on Sundays because we all know that's what really counts. Be aware Michael I baptize by water but there's another who comes who baptizes by fire and he'll know what lurks in your heart.

July 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Castrator

You're notion that God would give the Devil the pleasure of being the king in hades is probably not very correct. If God hates the devil then he would do all he could to prevent allowing the Devil to have a good ol time while ignorant or misled people are tormented. It doesn't make sense. Maybe everyone has a private punishment where they can pay for what they have done and hopefully be nurtured into a good person? I don't presume to know, but I would most certainly lock the Devil away alone for a nice boring eternity. I would also consider how a child was raised in determining how they became such a horrible adult.

July 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Castrator

I can't judge him, but I know I've been treated far worse by society for having a DUI in my past, so I don't feel bad that he gets scrutiny. Also I'd like people to stop quoting bible verses about casting stones. Lol This is a blog to share opinions and most people don't go around electrocuting animals for pleasure, so if someone is appalled by this its understandable. The bible actually has two opinions regarding stoning, but you bible scholars should already know that. Adulterous wives are spared from stoning where unruly children are supposed to be stoned by every man in the village. I guess its ok to pick and choose when you're biased. I still think Plaxico Burress got far worse treatment, considering he didn't hurt anyone but himself and got more time than Vick.

July 1, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Meg

It is completely LAUGHABLE how some people are calling what he did a "mistake". Are you kidding me??? This man, for SIX years, tortured the dogs, drowned them, beat them with shovels, smashed their skulls into the ground, electrocuted them, and strangled them...that is NOT a mistake. It takes a completely disgusting and vile person to get satisfaction and pleasure from watching animals suffer and die like that. Also, the only reason that he stopped is because he got caught, he would still be doing this right now if he wasn't found out. I HIGHLY doubt he regrets hurting and killing the dogs, he only regrets getting caught and going to jail. I don't care if you don't like dogs, but there is absolutely no justification for his behaviour...normal people do not do what he did and in my opinion, he doesn't deserve forgiveness.

July 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mmmmm

RRRoough-ruff!

July 2, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. goneballistic

Michael Vick is my favorite football player. I believe he epitomizes what football is all about. If you play football and are good enough, then you live under a different set of rules than the rest of us.
    The fact that such exceptions that are made for athletes and also the warped, vaulted priority that is bestowed on athletics; this isn't about Michael Vick or what he has done. It does however, shine a bright light on what is held most in value by the masses. Just ask Nike's advertising company.

July 2, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. theresa marie spermatoza

No he is a stupid ass and should be kept away from decent people. He knew what he was doing x con, thug, assh*le, and STUPID, oh and Dog Killer. piece of stupid worthless crap.

July 2, 2011 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. theresa marie spermatoza

I will NEVER buy anything Nike. I also intend to spread the word to animal rescue leagues. I know someone who got her pit bull a micheal vick doll to chew on!

July 2, 2011 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
    • rich

I'm sure Nike will file for bankruptcy once you stop buying their products!

July 2, 2011 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

This is the whole problem with America: you keep blaming someone that has paid their debt to society. I don't condone what Vick has done but he has made amends for it, continues to do so, and deserves a second chance. How many of you out there that have posted hate-riddled, vitriolic comments are angels? I don't think any of you are. Instead, I suggest that you are miserable, unhappy people yourselves. And to those that would try to interject religion into this, remember, only God has the power to judge.

July 2, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. avlisk

It's just another reason not to buy Nike. They were already too expensive for sneakers. But associating themselves with a sick dog-killer is quite misguided at best, and evil at worst. Nikes are now expensive, evil, dog killing sneakers.

July 2, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

The dogs had dirt in their lungs. Which means he buried them alive. I will never buy another Nike product as long as Iive, nor will anyone I know if I can help it.

July 2, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. get off the sack

all you people talking mess need to get off the sack, let the man live...you wanna do something....go advocate for the way abusive way animals are grown and butchered ever time you pull up to your local fast food place and shovel that flesh into ya mouth...there you go...no need to thank me for giving you something to do with your time...this case is over...move on already.

July 2, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Erol

Stupid is stupid and you are really stupid.

July 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |