Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Greg

He paid his dues in time and money – he has worked hard and grown up...let the man work. He hasnt made excuses...he has apologized...man, I am glad I am not living under the judgement of you guys.

July 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • R C Johnston

You say he worked hard and has grown up...Unlike the dogs he killed.

July 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

oh please, he's sorry because he got caught, thats it. If he hadnt he would still be doing it today.

July 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Leo Phillip

I am a big wearer of NIKE APPAREL . I have supported MICHAEL VICK and will continue to do so. I hate what he did to those DOGS because I love animals. He served prison time..he paid his debt to society. He deserves to make a living like everyone else. NIKE did the right thing by re-signing him.

RAY LEWIS of the BALTIMORE RAVENS was charged in ATLANTA with killing another HUMAN BEING. He was acquitted of all the charges a few years ago. He is still playing FOOTBALL in the NFL. He was acquitted...doesn't mean he wasn't guilty. Everyone deserves a second chance. In the end it will be GOD who will judge these individuals for their past deeds.

July 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jah

Thanks Nike. Mike you must be a complete fool to blow this 2nd chance. Keep your eyes on the sparrow.
    Coach Dungy thanks a job well done.

July 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ladi williams

Those are the kind of stories we need to hear in the media. Not just condemning athlete. Nike, keep up the good work. Thank p

July 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. smartlogic

Vick may have paid his debt to society, but Nike just lost some business from me.

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Don't worry, brother, I'll pick up the slack; they've earned some credit from me for giving a man another chance

July 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. just for me dog

we all make mistakes,he been a good boy laterly he deserve a second chance.

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

you've made those kind of mistakes? I know i havent.

July 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MATT

Waiting for the first Nike/Vick campaign T-shirt to read: Who let the dogs out?

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

I don't care that he's been signed by the PEs; he shouldn't have his livelihood taken away. (Even those there are thousands who cannot get any job at all, even though they're sorry and paid their debt to society)
    What I object to is his getting his endorsements back, worth millions of dollars; is he pledging any of that towards animal shelters and pit-bull rescues? Doubtful.
    He's sorry he got caught.
    I'm not.

July 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Guess what??????

Nike won't miss your 2 dollars so run on. Go Michael Vick!

July 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Margroks

What a crock. I will never buy anyhting made by NIKE again. Vick is a shameful human being who doesn't deserve a second chance after the horrible animal abuse he inflicted on innocent dogs. He's a pig who should have been barred for life from ever playing again. I'd be ashamed to have him for a father.

July 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

I would rather have him for a father than you. I can't imagine having a father so unforgiving and hateful

July 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

I'm happy for him and glad to see a turn around in his life... And while you stand in the periphery screaming, "Crucify Him!!! Crucify Him!!" it just makes me wonder what would be the result of your sins being broadcasts live for millions of viewers to critique...

July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • LWATCDR

I don't want him dead but I am also not going to support him getting rich. Frankly all of the NFL is pretty contemptible. I want to see them put a new rule on the books. If you are found guilty of a crime of violence and you are a player you are banned for life. The team that you are are on must then forfeit that players pay to charity for the duration of the contract.
      If a Nurse can barred from their profession because they commit a felony why not a football player. Hey he can get a different job. Nike No Sale for you. You can not have it both ways. You can not hope to get more sales because of him being a good player and not also face up to the decrease in sales because he committed a crime. You picked a convicted criminal to endorse your product. You have made your choice.

July 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Stein

" I want to see them put a new rule on the books. If you are found guilty of a crime of violence and you are a player you are banned for life. The team that you are are on must then forfeit that players pay to charity for the duration of the contract". great idea, let's force business owners to pay the remainder of an individuals salary to a cause that they have no affiliation with because their employee broke a law. Your argument of banning him from the league for life is better an I would stick with that if I were you. Then again if you had it your way millions of people would be unable to work because "they were found of a crime". Unemployment skyrockets to around 45%, country goes into depression, signs on doors read "out of business all of our employees were fired and we had to donate remainder of salaries to charity". But then again with everyone out of work people could spend more time with their dogs.

July 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

I think people would be pretty bored by my sins, but if you want to give me a hundred million dollar endorsement deal, you're welcome to broadcast them to whoever you want.

July 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joshua Ludd

Well, having never tortured an animal to death or made animals fight each other for my own entertainment... probably nowhere near as much criticism as Michael Vick's. Also... unlike Vick.. I'm not a convicted criminal.

July 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Siara Delyn

I think you're getting confused.... Jesus was tortured (crucified). Michael Vick is a torturer.

July 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • What the...

I can tell you the result... If i were a multi-million dollar athlete I would put on a smile, give away some money, be "rehabilitated" and wait for idiots all over to say "awwww... so-and-so really learned their lesson and turned their life around". I'd get my endorsement deals back and life would be GRAND!

idiot.

July 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • PuckSoppet

I'm proud to say that unlike Vick, torturing other beings- human, animal, whatever- especially for sport- wouldn't be among them 🙂

July 1, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raptor Mom

most of us don't have sins that are of this level – so your point is stupid, face it, the man has no business being an official representative of any company, unless it is his own! and representing a publicly traded company....wonder what the shareholders are thinking about this decision...so Nike stock went up today, everything was up....but mark my word, Nike will suffer sales for this poor decision, and the stock will eventually feel it too IMO.....especially if I have anything to do about it!.....I say it is time for the women to rule the world! & no I am no feminazi!

July 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • buzzsaw

Screw you Scott

July 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

He disqualified HIMSELF from being a role model -EVER!!! His crime was calculated and cruel so I question his contrition. He is only sorry he got caught!

July 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • AVA

MY SINS DO NOT INCLUDE BEATING, HANGING, ELECTROCUTING, DROWING, FIGHTING AND SLAMMING DOGS TO THE GROUND.

July 5, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • norma fitch

He looked one of these dogs right in the face while he was choking it to death. Do you know how long that would take? I'm glad you are happy about his big turnaround...full coffers again.

July 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hypocrite Nation

Good job Vick. Unlike A LOT of celebrities you paid your dues for your "crime".

July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dr. Bombay

____ Nike = Puppy Murderers !!! ___

July 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DE

In the end football will do to him what he did to those dogs. I have long ago stopped purchasing Nike products because of their screwed up social practices. So this does not surprise me.

July 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jenn

Dear Nike,
    While I, as a consumer, certainly can't tell you who to sign and who not to sign, I certainly can spend my money where I want. Oh, and that will no longer be with your company...just sayin'. It seems I am not in the minority either. This guy is sorry he got caught, not that he commited these atrocities. They're saving a special place in Hell for Michael Vick, with all the other animal abusers. They'll be in the section right next to those who abuse womena dn children.

July 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Sorry to break it to you, Jenn, but you are in the minority....just sayin'

July 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I agree with you, Jenn.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janet

I am with you Jenn....Nike is not getting a penny from me

July 1, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • unbiasedfootballfan

At Ryan- I think there are more people that are going to boycott nike because of this decision than people that are going to buy more nike products...

July 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |