Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Jenn

Ryan....I'm so glad you read all the prior posts which overwhelmingly seem to not care much for Vick. I believe in giving people a 2nd chance when they make a mistake, as long as they show true remorse for what they did. Vick was never sorry for what he did, only that he was caught. I haven't been to an Eagles game since they signed him and now I will never buy another thing from Nike either. If you want to support him, well Bully for you. I will support your right to speak your mind, freely, as long as you support my right to do the same.

July 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. common sense

Forget dogs. Vick is a good athlete who better to sell athletic apparel. I guess you people think Nike should've sponsored Mother Teresa back in the day or something lmao

July 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

Really? I could make some comment about how someone with such an idiotic comment should be attacked by dogs, but I'll just state the obvious here: your comment was stupid. Thanks. Have a nice day.

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Randle

"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them."
    — Maya Angelou

July 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • lrltree

Anybody ever give you a second chance Randle? Maya Angelou 'sounds' nice when she writes, but sometimes words that rhyme and sound nice don't make sense in REAL LIFE. The man made a serious error in his judgement. He was punished and he is trying to move on. I guess he doesn't deserve that? Sure, make him work for it, but allow him to. Is it our fault that in this society people in his job category get perks such as these? Actually, it is. So if you watch Football, or buy Nike, fault yourself. Obviously they are not listening to you on this count. And when you make a mistake, don't look for anyone to give you a second chance.

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DCR

I think it is funny how stupid people can be. First for the PETA people I believe right after all of the Vick dog fighting stuff came out, that info also came out the showed evidence of PETA killing dogs and throwing them in dumpsters so if any of yall are PETA then shut it and move on. Second if you think none of the other companies in this world hire convicted felons murderers or what not then that makes you even more stupid. If you stopped buying stuff because a felon or criminal made it then you would be wearing your birthday suit everyday. He made a mistake, the USA court system gave him what he diserved he served it and now hes done. Get over it, get off your lazy a#$ if your going to complain and go out and make this difference yall are always talking about we need. Thats all have a nice day!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Agreed...people need to back their words. We all get a vote DCR...and that is with our wallets. I know I will be exercising mine. Some crimes are unforgivable, and this is one of them. I am glad he has apparently turned his life around and stopped beating, stomping drowning, force breeding, electrocuting, and torturing dogs, but I will not support him or the companies he sponsors. My choice.

July 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

Absolutely. I'm an athlete (runner) and ALL of my athletic needs have always been met by Nike. Shoes, workout clothes, socks, headbands. The list is endless. But no more. I will exercise my right to show Nike what a mistake they're making. And just to be clear, he did not serve his time. He spent a ridiculously small amount of time in jail and immediately went back to making millions and being a "role model". He should have been banned. He got what was coming to him in last year's playoffs, and with any help from the universe, his career will continue to spiral out of control until he's a nobody. You guys can have him. He's a disgusting excuse for a human being.

July 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lethewithoutsincast1ststone

Phillip guess what? BART cop gets off with murdering a young Black male. Gets less time than Mike Vic. Purdue Slaughters animals that you eat and they are not charged at all like Vick. Also, what about the innocent black males that look like Mike Vick that were murdered by the crooked police ? not the good cops, the crooked police. Don't crucify Vick because he can play Pro football and you can't.

July 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franko

Your rant doesn't make any sense?

July 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

Great job comparing a dog fighting charge in Virginia with a murder charge in California. Makes total sense. No seriously...makes total sense.

July 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. troll baba loo

Once getto trash always getto trash.

July 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Franko

His rant makes perfect sense. See?

July 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LEADERS

Shows how NIKE puts profits ahead of morals again. Child labor, dangerous materials in products, and now sell out criminal athletes without a soul. Hope others agree to stop buying NIKE's over priced products and make a statement. No more NIKE for my family or in my businesses.

July 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ding

I think this is actually a great statement on morals. He is an ex-con and for all intents and purposes shown his remorse and that he's "bettered" himself. Are we not supposed to allow people to change, to make up for past mistakes? If not, why have jail at all, just kill off anyone that's ever been convicted of a crime.

July 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimstone

Have you done any recent research on Nike? Get a clue.

July 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kp

roger g- the "real" problem of unemployment exists in good ol' USA because people want "money for nothing"–Florida finally passed a smart law: drug testing for welfare recipients prior to payouts! Sure, there are people out there who rightfully deserve our help, but there are FAR more who just want to collect unemployment rather than do a job "beneath" them. Of course, these are the same people who love Michael Vick and think it is great that he is making millions of dollars for doing nothing–playing a sport., and now endorsing Nike. Micheal Vick would be unemployed too if he didn't happen to be athletically inclined!

July 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Warvet87

Well too bad he is Very athletically inclined and you know nothing "personal" about the man except for his transgressions how do you know he would be unemployed oh wait I forgot you must be .... uh clairvoyant STFU

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • KP is a D-Bag

As a business owner who supports Vick I think your argument has a lot off flaws and comes from a different place then the forums intentions. In short get your head out of your ass.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Karl

NIKE: Great for kicking the dog!

July 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Warvet87

What Mike did I deplorable I agree, but not allowing the man to pursue a career in whatever he chooses is just plain wrong, If you dont wanna buy Nike then don't trust me they DO NOT CARE, you dont think they've done enough research to realize they will make more money off of Vick then taking your so called "high road" and not having him. The name of the game is capitalism not political correctness..... Grow up, Dude single handedly lost everything and has bounced back, hell of a comeback story he is writing Stop being haters ... oh and btw I own a Pitbull and would DIE for her .... But my christian beliefs allow me to "FORGIVE" I ascribe to restorative justice, i.e bringing people back into the social fabric for you retards not strictly punishment that has no positive social outcome except vengeance

July 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • RobertPHD

Restorative Justice DOESN"T WORK in this case... You're hard-wired to be this way... to enjoy watching animals maul one another as sport... much like a pedophile... hard-wired... serial killer... hard wired...

Deep down... he shows zero remorse for his actions... I'd bet my practice on it... it's HIS nature.

July 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

But apparently your 'christian' beliefs doesnt stop you from calling people retards. nice double standard there skippy.

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Warvet87

Oh really Mr. PHD were Romans all Hard wired to watch humans mame and maul each other with swords and lions in theaters and coliseums I dont effin think so, they became products of their environments .... just as the soldier who commits atrocities during a time of war, that guy wasn't cutting the ears off of dead soldiers and making them into a necklace in Idaho and once removed from that environment I doubt he went around doing it back in America... I no more blame the citizens of Rome who watched and participated in Gladiatorial endeavors that would defile human rights anywhere in todays society. Mike made a mistake and is now further educated to not repeat that mistake gime him a break.

July 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rachel M

I find it strangely amusing that this story is currently featured on the CNN front page right beside the "Would you eat dog meat?" story.

July 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Angela

If GOD could forgive the men who put him on a cross to die, we can forgive Michael Vick. Hate is a sin. You mean to tell me that Michael Vick is worth your salvation. Good Luck to you Mike. Live & Learn!

July 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gage

Wow people... seriously, let it go.

You're talking about this guy as if he murdered someone in your family. It's true, the guy made mistakes – but remember, we all have too. Maybe not to the same degree as some of us may believe (although I believe that to be bogus, sin is sin, whichever way you look at it) but just let it go.

I will still buy Nike apparel. You can do what you'd like. I promise Nike won't hurt from it.

July 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MICHAEL GRAY

EVERY ONE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE!!!! NO ONE ON THIS PLANET IS PERFECT!!!MG

July 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. PH

I stand by what i said at the time: he should be dipped in gravy and put in a locked room with some of those hungry dogs he "trained" for 30 minutes. Then I'll forgive him!

July 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |