Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Ginger

I personally think this is a disgrace! Shame on NIKE....I won't buy another product of theirs! Vick is milking this for all it's worth. He has not changed and never will.

July 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimstone

Just curious, do you currently own any Nike product?

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. kj

Glad to see Vick getting bact on d saddle again. He has moved on so also his game. Congrats man.

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PuyallupVote

To contact Nike to make a comment: 1-800-344-6453 click on option 5 and then option 9. You will be given more options to received a call back but if you wait it out you can eventually get to an option to wait on hold and talk to a representative. I did and she was respectful. (Caution: They can record your comments). I reserve the right to not purchase products that I associate with someone's digesting past. Dogs being ripped apart causes a visceral reaction for me despite his so called turn around.

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcelo - Los Anageles

So I guess doing the time and paying for your crime means nothing to someone like you? I guess he should have stayed in prison so we could support him with our tax dollar for ever. Awesome.

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrite Nation

No ones calling that number you fvcking moron. Get outta' here!

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meeks

You guys are funny to me..Stand up for something really important in life...Don't get me wrong, I love dogs...do I think they are more important than human life...NO....Have you contacted any organizations that oppress people to assist in standing up for human rights....Yeah I didn't think so..

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

I feel you, but I think its time for you to get off the cross!

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • B.Spree

What a joke. I also assume you called every car maker since 40K people die every year from it. I know you also called every tobacco company, alcohol company, medical company, food company, and so on. I know for a fact you don't wear any leather products.

As someone who grew up with pets one thing I can say. We all know what he did wasn't right but time to give it up.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • WiseTexan

I feel sorry for you, because you are hate-filled and twisted person. I pray that you find the love of God, and learn what forgiveness is all about. The truth of the matter is you're jealous because you see someone else that is able to obtain the success that you cannot. If you choose not purchase Nike products that's your preference, but you won't be hurting Nike one bit. Remembr that you reap what you sow, and the animosity that you have toward Michael Vick will come back on you in other areas.

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Troy

Marcelo- I agree with you... at some point we have to let mistakes go. I think the problem the original commenter has is that oftentimes, athletes get preferential treatment because of their celebrity status, or the felony conviction that would all but end the life of a mere mortal, has little to no effect at all on entertainment superstars.

I've said it before, and remember... I agreed with you. But in the US often the "system" isn't "Innocent until proven Guilty" its "Guilty until proven rich or famous."

That's the part I take issue with.

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert's Nana

It's funny how some people have more compassion for a dog than a human being. Yes, he did a horrible thing–no doubt about it. If God can forgive him surely you can. Have you ever needed forgiveness in your life? Well, don't expect it if you are unable or unwilling to give it. You have taken this personally–ask yourself why.

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

I definitely don't condone what he did, but have you thought about some other pro players that have done far worse? Let's take Dante Stallworth, for example. He had a DUI and killed someone. Everyone seemed not to care too much about that. Ray Lewis anyone? I'd rather wear a Michael Vick jersey before I'd wear a Stallworth and Lewis jersey.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lethewithoutsincast1ststone

It takes one to call one troll baba loo. At least you looked in the mirror. FYI the US Government invented the ghetto so it all reflects the product of our great White House. The whole country is ghetto trash. Although privileged, The burbs sell drugs in cul de sacs and the ghetto does it on street corners and alleyways.

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

has anyone told you you're an idiot?

July 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. herb666

Vick may be the best quarterback ever. The Eagles and Nike are smart to have signed him up.

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ian

Best QB ever??

ROFLMAO

July 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • theweez

The "best ever" declaration is nearly as tragic as Vick's past. Wow.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fred Barnes

Only in Effen America!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeDidHisTime

True, only in america because in other countries people dont get thrown in jail for killing a dog.

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ACTIONS R LOUDER THAN WORDS

I TRULY BELIEVE VICK HAS MADE A TRANSFORMATION TO THE POSITIVE. WHAT WE DON'T KNOW IF IT IS SINCERE OR A FACADE TO GAIN BACK THE RICHES HE LOST. HAVE ALL THE ACTIONS BEEN SELF SERVING? A TRULY REPENTENT INDIVIDUAL WOULD WOULD SHARE A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF HIS NEW FOUND WEALTH WITH HIS PRIOR VICTIMS. LET'S SEE HOW SORRY MICHAEL VICK REALLY IS!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeDidHisTime

How will share his money with dead dogs??

July 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

HeDidHisTime,
      How about going to http://www.bestfriends.org
      They have his "Vicktims"

July 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hypocrite Nation

Dogs are animals. I'll never put a dog over a human or equate them with humans. The day we do that is the day we need to let them off the leash. And no I don't condone dog fighting. In fact I hate seeing dogs on a leash but that's just me, it doesn't make me hate the person that does.

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hokierule

Totally agree. When will the people realize that ultimately dogs are animals, just like cows, pigs, chicken, sheep, goats and whatever else we humans choose to eat. Equating them with humans is only ignorant and spending millions on them (as evident from the multi million $ pet food industry) only goes the show how inhuman those people are when those same $s could be used to feed starving humans in various parts of the world.

July 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Someone who doesn't have empathy for helpless animals aren't going to have much for the not-so-helpless human kind.
    I would say the same thing if it were my next-door-neighbor, my sister, my cousin....
    Vick is morally bankrupt.
    Thanks to Nike and the PE, he's not financially bankrupt.
    Athleticism aside, he's a poor role model.

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeDidHisTime

he is just doing his job, he never said he was a role model.

July 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • WiseTexan

Judging from the tone of your comment it would appear that you know Michael Vick outside of what you see on TV. I doubt very seriously that you know anything about his life off the field except what we all heard when his dog fighting trial took place. You have no idea if he has repented to God. You have no clue if he's active in his church, or what his family life is like. In fact you don't know anything about professional athlete, celebrity, or politician except what gets reported about them. The only moral bankruptcy which you can control, and should be concerned about is your own. Until any human being has master his own perfection he is unworthy to judge another.

July 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert's Nana

Sure he is. He represents REDEMPTION! Be careful about standing in judgement of others because your day of judgement is sure to come and it may be sooner than you think. And if God forgave and restored Vick, I pray he will do it for you. Vick has paid his debt to society. Why is that not good enough for you. If he were your son or father, could you forgive him then? We are all brothers and sisters in Christ. Therefore, he is your brother as well as mine. Let it go.

July 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sam49

I wonder how many of those who oppose Nike for signing Michael Vick and are so unforgiving, have donated, helped, or volunteered at their local animal shelter? I have adopted three rescue dogs, donated money, and volunteer at least 4 hours a week at my shelter along with the same small group of volunteers. Having said that, I support Michael Vick for turning his life around.

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tonyg

Way to go Nike, I was wondering why Vick was wearing Nike shirts on TV lately. Haters I am really enjoying your post because it hurts you because you hate him. Vick is a money maker and these companies could care less what a hand full of people with computers care. All they care about are those 80000 + screaming fans that comes out on Sunday or watch on TV. Soon Vick will once again be one of the highest grossing athletes in the NFL and it's all because he turned his life around.

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. troll baba loo

Proof? OJ simpson, Mike Tyson, Two pac, Snoop. You can take the trash out of the ghetto and give them fame and money but they'll never change.

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bob

let see who can throw that first stone? yea thats what I thought. Not so perfect are we?

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. E

I cannot and will not purchase Nike products if Nike is supporting Michael Vick. There are so many other wonderful athletes that are successful and famous and have not done the heinous things that Vick has done. Just because a little bit more time has passed does not mean that this is okay. Some crimes are unforgiveable. Please stop encouraging the idolization of this monster. I understand that he served his time, but I also disagree with the sentences associated with animal abuse. To be capable of what Vick did takes a truly heartless person. No amount of rehabilitation can change that. And, for those of you that say he deserves to pursue his career? He is. He is playing football in the NFL. That is his career. He does not need to be on advertisements depicting him as some sort of hero. If he had molested little kids would you all have forgiven him so quickly and supported his endorsement deals? To me, the crimes he committed are equally as horrific- he took advantage of animals that could not choose their fate and did such deplorable things to them that I cannot believe he can ever change. You cannot erase that kind of evil. For those that agree, please joinme in writing to Nike and making a stink. It worked last time.

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrite Nation

Just want you to know I didn't read a thing you wrote after the 1st line. Get a life.

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • WiseTexan

All I can say is WOW!. You have had no issue with Nike exploiting people in 3rd world countries to manufacture their product. You've taken no issue with their refusal to manufacture their product in the US and hire Americans to do the labor. Michael Vick being resigned is the starw that breaks your camel's back.....how out of whack is your moral compass.

July 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Get a life

Ya you need to get a life!!! How can you compare dog fighting to child molesting??? They are not even in the same planet!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE! Value HUMAN life, try and help HUMANS for a change you freak! I don't like seeing animials hurt either but they are ANIMALS!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Carlton

I knew when I saw this article there would be white people hating as usual. Won't forgive O.J. and won't forgive Michael Vick. Why don't we hear this same outrage for all the wrongly convicted blacks here in America throughout history. Oh I know why, because it pertains to black people so it's suppose to be this way according to whites!!! Hypocrites with a double standard!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Art Carson

Carlton you are right, this does seem to be the case.

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • jerry

Here we go again, bringing up the race card. I will never forgive Vick for the abuse he caused to these animals. That is my right, and yes i am white, but the color of my skin or his, hasn't nothing to do with what he did to these defenseless animals. i also will never purchase anything from Nike again, because endorsing him is wrong. He is no role model. He's another jerk athlete who feels he's better than everyone else.

July 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meeks

Question? Why are people always looking for celebrities, athletes, etc to be their child's role model. PARENTS YOU ARE YOUR CHILD'S ROLE MODEL. That's it...nobody in this world has an obligation to your children, but YOU. If you implement the right values and morals in your children, you would never have to worry about anyone else influencing them otherwise.

July 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carlton is an idiot

Go spread your White hating somewhere else!!! I am white and I fully support Vic for getting his life back and making amends!!!! You are the idiot not white people!

July 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |