Nike re-signs Michael Vick
Star quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement deals when he was sent to federal prison.
July 1st, 2011

Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Michael Vick, the star National Football League quarterback whose career was interrupted by a dogfighting conviction, has reached an endorsement agreement with athletic equipment maker Nike.

"We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete," Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, said in an e-mail to CNN.

See rare photos of Michael Vick

Vick, currently on the roster of the Philadelphia Eagles, served 20 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to bankrolling a dogfighting operation. He has since emerged as a spokesman against dogfighting.

"Michael acknowledges his past mistakes," Saalfeld said. "We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. "

Post by:
Filed under: Michael Vick • Pro football • Sports
  1. Todd

awesome news. Hopefully, they re-release his cage grip football. Best football ever.

July 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hypocrite Nation

One last thing. What makes you people think you're in a position to judge somebody? We all know he served time for his crime but the people who sit up here and say "we don't know if he's sincere in his remorse" ARE YOU FVCKING kidding me? When did you become god? When did you become perfect?

July 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. unbelievable

To contact Nike to make a comment: 1-800-344-6453 click on option 5 and then option 9. They are listening.

July 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Thanks, just called and let them know I will no longer purchase any of their products.

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt Jones

Lisa, they don't care

July 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Todd

E, you've been taking too much E

July 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Amused

It's kind of funny that this article was next the "What's wrong with dog meat?" Article.

July 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. eyevibe

I really don't like Vick and I don't like what he did, however if the man was tried, convicted and served his sentence, let the man live his life. You are not the judge and jury and should not impose additional punishment as you see fit.

July 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Omar

I am the biggest of dog lovers, I've owned many in my life. I condemn anyone who mistreats animals in any way shape or form. With that said, people deserve a second chance. People can reform and turn their lives around. From what I've seen, Vick has done just that and deserves this deal. To all the people crying a river asking to boycott Nike products, get over it and learn some forgiveness. I'm sure someone cut you a break in your life – don't be a hypocrite and do the same.

July 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lrltree

How about everyone on this thread is at fault. If you watch pro football, purchase Nike products, or support any other sport, you are creating wealth for someone who may not share your morals, who could care less about YOU and your thoughts on life and animals. That man made a horrible error in judgement, many persons have. If he seems to be willing to learn from his mistake and move on to make amends, please allow him to do so. You are very hypocritical in saying he does not deserve a second chance. However, the reason we all bear some of the blame is that we pay those people enough money to make these mistakes (all persons do) in such a LARGE way. On such a GRAND scale. You love them when their up, and then kick them when they are down. I guess that is the society we live in. It's horrible. I hope that none of you ever find yourself in such a predicament and hope for some empathy.

July 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Matt Jones

unbelievable, are you providing us with Nike's hotline so we can call and give them kudos?

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. smokin11

WON'T BUY ANYMORE SPORTS APPARELL FROM NIKE ANYMORE..THIS IS LIKE YOUR FATHER TELLING YOU NO AND THEN GO ASK YOUR MOM THE SAME THING AND SHE SAYS YES

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Omar

You're analogy makes absolutely no sense

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • idiot

ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE! LOL Get real and have you ever heard of caps lock?

July 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kevin in Atlanta

'Bout time...Vick paid his debt to society and has shown with his actions on and off the field that he is truly a changed man.

Bravo Vick, Bravo...

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. troll baba loo

No he should've been publicly flogged until he couldn't stand up and then put in irons on public display as a warning to all the other low lifes that want to abuse animals or people for sport and profit!

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your a low life

Now you sound like the low life...very hypocritical!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SD

While I absolutely have no sympathy for, and depsise animal abusers, I do believe in forgiveness. A lot of you are acting like 5 year old's that got their favorite toy taken away. I'm assuming we're all adults here so get over it. "Nike doesn't have my business anymore..." blah blah blah, do you really think Nike cares? For those of you who are religious and "hope there is a special place in hell for Vick to burn...how can you not forgive another yet expect Christ to forgive you of your sins (whatever they may be)?

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Omar

I'm not religious one bit, but I wholeheartedly agree with this statement

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lrltree

And NO, I do not agree that he should have a contract with Nike, however, I don't agree that anyone should. Whether I know of their dirty laundry or not.

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Suzanne

"We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field. " Please. Nike couldn't give a rip about his "positive changes." This is all about dollar signs.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |