Kvitova takes Wimbledon title
Petra Kvitova won the Wimbledon women's championship in straight sets Saturday.
July 2nd, 2011

Kvitova takes Wimbledon title

[Update 10:37 a.m] Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic defeated Russian Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 in the Wimbledon women's singles championship, the final point coming on a thundering ace that froze Sharapova where she stood. Kvitova is only the third left-handed woman to win the championship in the open era, which started in 1968; one of the others was fellow Czech Martina Navratilova.

[Update 9:51 a.m.] Petra Kvitova won the first set of the Wimbledon best-of-three women's final, 6-3 over Maria Sharapova. Sharapova had four double-faults in the set.

[Original post 9:31 a.m.] No. 5 seed Maria Sharapova is playing No. 8 Petra Kvitova Saturday in the women's final at Wimbledon, a matchup heralded by NBC analyst Mary Carillo as the epitome of "Big Babe Tennis."

The 6-foot-2-inch Russian and the 6-foot Czech are prime examples of the "grip it and rip it" power game that thrills former champion Martina Navratilova, SI.com's Bruce Jenkins writes.

Sharapova won the title in 2004, when she was just 17; this is 21-year-old left-hander Kvitova's first appearance in a Grand Slam final. The match began at 9 a.m. ET.Novak Djokovic and defending champion Rafael Nadal will contest the men's final on Sunday after both secured four-set semifinal victories Friday.

Djokovic, of Serbia, beat France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and will take over from Nadal as world number one, whatever the outcome Sunday.

Nadal came back after losing the first set to score a 5-7, 6-2, 6-2, 6-4 victory over British hope Andy Murray.

Nadal looked ready to surrender his service in the second set before Murray missed an easy forehand winner. That signaled a turning point as the Spaniard won the next seven games to take a stranglehold on the contest he never relinquished.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Sports • Tennis • United Kingdom
  1. RUFFNUTT

omg.. russian tennis chicks are so hot...

July 2, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

diregard my previous thought... all tennis chicks are hot...smoking hot..

July 2, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. heman

by the power of greyskull, those chicks are hot!!!

July 2, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. cobra commander

those women would make a great addition to our cobra army...

July 2, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. optimus prime

they are giving me a robo-stiffy....

July 2, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. megatron

i would take one of those and give up my quest for energon cubes.

July 2, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

*Facepalm*

July 2, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. tensor

Wow, professional athletes are healthy and tend to be tall. Who knew?

July 2, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Skrupie

P.S. The fact that Mary Carillo created the moniker rather than the male author of the article is even more disappointing.

July 2, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Guapochapo

Lefties rule!!

July 2, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bubbles

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred to the mother ship.

If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press – no one will answer.

If you are dyslexic, press 96969696969696.

If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the hash key until a representative comes on line.

If you have amnesia press 8 and state your name, address, phone number, date of birth, social security number and your mother's maiden name.

If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, slowly and carefully press 000.

If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep or before the beep. Or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9. If you have short-term memory loss, press 9.

If you have low self esteem, please hang up. All our operators are too busy to talk to you.

July 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Riff*Raff

LMAO!! You guys are hilarious today.
    @Bubbles-thx for the laugh. I really needed it.

July 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ajd041

Female tennis players are hot but not the ones that sound like lumberjacks when they hit the ball

July 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

@Riff*Raff:
    Hi.

July 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees.
    I eat my lunch.
    I go to the lavatory.
    On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
    And have buttered scones for tea.

He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
    He goes to the lavatory.
    On Wednesdays he goes shopping
    And has buttered scones for tea.

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees.
    I skip and jump.
    I like to press wild flowers.
    I put on women's clothing
    And hang around in bars.

He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
    He likes to press wild flowers.
    He puts on women's clothing
    And hangs around in bars?!

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees.
    I wear high heels,
    Suspendies, and a bra.
    I wish I'd been a girlie,
    Just like my dear Papa.

He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
    Suspendies, and a bra?!