July 2nd, 2011

Rhode Island governor signs civil union bill into law

In a move largely seen as a compromise over the rights that can be afforded to gay and lesbian couples, Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee on Saturday signed into law a bill that legalizes civil unions, making his state the fifth in the nation to allow them.

The bill - which was signed just over a week after New York legalized same-sex marriage - will take effect later Saturday, according to the governor's spokesman Christian Vareika.

The law will provide same-sex couples with a host of new state tax breaks, health-care benefits and greater ease of inheritance.

Such unions are currently permitted in New Jersey and Illinois, and will be allowed in Delaware and Hawaii beginning January 1, 2012. California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada also allow for "comprehensive domestic partnerships," largely considered an equivalent to their civil union counterparts.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Rhode Island • Same-sex marriage
  1. STEWART RAYMOND WEAVER "HIGH ELF COMMANDER"

LATER YOU'ALL

July 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

@Sick:
    Then don't watch.
    Problem solved.

July 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Sickened...:
    CNN censored what I wrote to you, you stupid POS.

July 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

Hello, Sheryl. Indulgent as always, aren't you, darling?
    My cabana boy, Rodrigo, is fanning me with a giant palm leaf whilst wearing only a fig leaf.
    He's good that way.
    I'm keeping him.

Oops! The fig leaf slipped.
    Gotta go.
    Do you know how *hard* it is to find a proper fig leaf in a thong style?

Toodles!

July 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ JESUS:
    Lord, I believe.
    What must I do that I might see the two smokin hot chicks?

July 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Anyone else notice how much Ruffie and JESUS sound alike?
    Creepy.

July 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

@JIF:
    Go to any back room at Family Video.
    They rent those movies under such names as "My Secret Girlfriend".
    Oh, you mean *live*?
    Ummm, I got nothing.

July 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Family Video rents P0RN.
    Kind of an oxymoron, no?

July 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sheryl

@ the banasy who is not a banasy:
    Thank you so much for your sweet note!
    Well...I just don't know what to say about a cabana boy who can't even keep his fig leaf up "whilst," as you say–how quaint–fanning you with a giant palm leaf–did you mean frond?–and still expects to be kept.
    I mean, in what do you keep him? Vienna Sausage?
    I expect more for the money.
    Now, I've heard about this nice Miami number, Ellis, who is some kind of total hunk with green eyes and can flat-out Swim.
    You know, Eloise and I live in a lovely hotel on Fifth Avenue and Central Park South.
    I'd bet that somebody in our hotel would be willing to keep that Ellis, if he can keep his fig leaf up and palm-fan her at the same time.

July 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

@Sheryl:

Actually, darling, it *is* me; and have you seen the palms they have planted at my home?
    My vacation home, that is.

And as for my use of the quaint 'whilst', I was chatting with an Aussie friend, and his way of talking is *such* a delight that it invariably rubs off on me.
    And, dear, whilst is no more quaint than 'Eloise'....
    I can also assure you that Rodrigo can keep it up.
    Tsk, tsk...I bought the fig leaf thong too small.
    Perhaps I should not have spent the money on Rod.
    It is *so* much fun to see him waving hello to me as he brings me a dirty martini...
    This is why he stays around...my line of vision as I languish on my chaise...
    Yummy.
    Perfect, Rodrigo.

Cheers!

July 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Well, we all make mistakes, and I knew that Sheryl and I had been in error when there was no quick reply to Sheryl's 4:44 silliness.
    We knew that you had been highjacked today, and I honestly expected the reply to come from Hagen/Ellis.
    I apologize.
    Can we still get along?

July 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

Of course, JIF!
    I spent some time trying to get it to post.
    I *always* enjoy visits from Sheryl, as well as you.

{Kiss, Kiss}

July 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Good.

July 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sheryl

I always tell JIF that he's as quaint as Beowulf.

July 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

How very droll, Sheryl.
    And how does he take it?

July 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |