July 2nd, 2011

Rhode Island governor signs civil union bill into law

In a move largely seen as a compromise over the rights that can be afforded to gay and lesbian couples, Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee on Saturday signed into law a bill that legalizes civil unions, making his state the fifth in the nation to allow them.

The bill - which was signed just over a week after New York legalized same-sex marriage - will take effect later Saturday, according to the governor's spokesman Christian Vareika.

The law will provide same-sex couples with a host of new state tax breaks, health-care benefits and greater ease of inheritance.

Such unions are currently permitted in New Jersey and Illinois, and will be allowed in Delaware and Hawaii beginning January 1, 2012. California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada also allow for "comprehensive domestic partnerships," largely considered an equivalent to their civil union counterparts.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Rhode Island • Same-sex marriage
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy,
    We both dropped our masks and got confused.
    I am really exhausted from playing and resting.
    See the end of the Alfalfa episode for our complete collapse, placing our hands all over the proscenium arch!
    OY!

July 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sheryl

He takes it hard. Real hard. Doggy style/strap-on. Thought you knew.

July 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

OMG.
    Here it comes.

July 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. It

Who? OK What?

July 2, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Not you.
    You had to get into the theater earlier to keep up.

July 2, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@JIF:

At this stage in life, you should know better.
    Yoy.
    Bet it was fun, though...
    And be careful what you ask for, it may just come true....

July 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. It

No, I just slept through the first part. It was the tail-end of a nap I had started near the end of the previous blahg. What do you all call your troup? Really, there oughtta be one. A name for people like us that feel the need to put it down in print. I think Bubbles might have been referring to us? (press 696969696969 if you are blah blah) Is there a name for an inverted introvert? Or an outverted extrovert? We are something else...that's for sure.

July 2, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Just so everybody knows–there is no Sheryl. I invented her as a fantasy/puppet.
    She is unreal.
    I invented jules sand-perkins to say things I wanted said. He is unreal.
    Only Joey "JIF" is a true character. Joey is I, but Joey is not my real name.

July 2, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Well, I'm banasy, and I pretty much say whatever the hell I want.
    I've been other names, as but I always come back to banasy.
    I've been banasy for about my entire online life.

And Sheryl is still a hoot!

July 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

@Joey. Ya don't say. (as in we knew) I'm all over the place since trolling season opened, but I never got a license. (i never use someones personal s/n. You know me as Ahkmed, Clem&Jethro, Caesar, NOT Cesar, etc. The closest I ever came to hijacking someones s/n is when I made-up banazi. But banasy knew from the get-go. What chance the knave if discovered by the Queen? And is why I made sure she and anyone else knew. And I mirror the sentiments banasy posted a while back...how we sometimes post something that we wish we hadn't, but maybe it was a troll! he he. I got a big kick out of that dose of reality.

July 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@Philip:

I also know there's people who post (under their own u/n) absolute garbage about someone else, absolutely nasty things, who go on rants, and then claim the next day that they were trolled....when we all know better.
    It's almost better to get trolled than to have someone tell someone else exactly what they think, and then don't own it, and blame someone else.

Ah, but it's all good....

And you're a Prince amongst men, don't ever believe anything else.

White Hat, White Hat, White Hat!!

Although I *am* the Queen....
    Great band, BTW.

July 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Iamrightyouarewrong

Oompa loompa dupity do I've got another answer for you

July 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Iamrightyouarewrong

Oompa loompa dupida dee if you are *** you'll listen to me

July 2, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Iamrightyouarewrong

If there's on thing you must confess your way of life got you into this mess

July 2, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Iamrightyouarewrong

Wanting all of us to try and understand

July 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |