July 3rd, 2011

Casey Anthony weeps, shakes head during prosecution's closing argument

As Casey Anthony alternately cried, glared and shook her head, prosecutors in her capital murder trial told jurors Sunday that evidence in the case points to only one conclusion - that she murdered her 2-year-old daughter Caylee.

"When you have a child, that child becomes your life," prosecutor Jeff Ashton told the seven-woman, five-man jury. "This case is about the clash between that responsibility, and the expectations that go with it, and the life that Casey Anthony wanted to have."

Jurors are expected to begin deliberations later Sunday to decide if Anthony, 25, is guilty of killing her daughter. She is charged with seven counts, including first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse and misleading police. If convicted of first-degree murder, Anthony could receive the death penalty. She has pleaded not guilty to all charges, and denies harming her daughter. Read the full story and review what defense attorneys have said during the trial.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime
  1. linda carlton

why is it that every one gets in trouble for jestering except casey anthony she should have been made stop shaking her head when state was making closing arguments. this trial is about every one except casey .

July 3, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. john

@Joyce: it's not like Casey gave him much to defend, he's probably doing the best thing he can do by calling her crazy so she has a basis for a mistrial or at the very least a retrial. How eL
    xactly was he supposed to defend her when she lied at every turn?

July 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Baez's is being paid to give Casey the best defense he can. He's doing his job.
    My friend Sheryl could probably defend Casey as successfully as Baez is doing, because almost everybody can see that Casey murdered Caylee.

July 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barbara davis

I think the defense attorney out of desperation to save his client has demonstrated extremely unprofessional comments about the prosecution throughout his closing arguments. He failed to prove his defense as presented in his opening arguments. He blames the prosecution for pursuing this case as a murder. However, is it not unethical for the defense to have allowed the trial to get this far if he knew that Caylee died from an accident? Mr. Baez in my opinion was a
    poor choice of attorneys to defend this case and has shown his level of inexperience during his closing. His inability to deal with the pressure of this trial has hurt his client and will not bode well for her with the jury. Baez is out of his league and has destroyed his credibility as a top notch attorney.

July 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Faye Hudson

I agree with you that Lawyer is nuts too. A sorry choice. I will be happy when he stuts up

July 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I recast my sentence after writing the possessive, "Baez's." I apologize.

July 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john

Barbara, did you ever think that Baez may be attempting to give Casey grounds for a retrial due to insufficient representation?

July 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

I'm sorry, Sonny, but Baez has been smirking and making faces, gestures, etc. throughout this whole trial. Why don't you comment on that instead of sticking it to the prosecutor today? Be fair in your statements, please!

July 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

Excuse me, I saw the video replay and did not see Ashton laugh, he smiled behind his hand. At least he tried to cover it, Baez has made facial expressions etc the whole trial .

July 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hope for she didn't do it

is it me or dose jane mitchell from the issue make you want casey anthony to be innocent acting like a old mean drunk ladie thats talkin but she so drunk she's off subject and she looks like a crack head with money who is backin up the dope dealer and puting down the crack head tryin to get help she thinks that casey did it and she is tryin to get other people to think that as well when she should just wait and let the court be the judge other wise she looks like a drunk mean women sayin you wrong for drinkin.

July 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellis

^^^ what have YOU been drinking?

July 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Wolverine

Its kinda hard to set up a good defense for a habitual liar.

July 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. McSquared

Have they said anything about Caylee's birth father? What he thinks about all of this and whatever? It's clear to me that Casey gave her daughter chlorifom to make her go to sleep so she could go out partying. She then taped her mouth so she wouldn't cry where others could hear. The combo killed Caylee....

July 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Michaels

Who is this clown now talking for the defense...he's ruining their case!

July 3, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Michaels

Mason is very hard to follow...has marbles in his mouth...if I'm on the jury...I am nodding off!

July 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noah

I agree with Jeff, this Mason guy is a rambling idiot.

July 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Elly May

Get the hook for Mister Mason...soon the entire courtroom will be asleep , and they won't need chloroform.

July 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Big Daddy

@ Elly May... So true , excuse me time for *my* nap.

July 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |