Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. jill Tee

Her father was a Sheriff her mom a nurse. BOTH OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD KNOW WHAT TO DO IF THEY FOUND A CHILD DROWN! the idea they paniced is despesiation. Claiming rhe was molested? What in the hell does that have to do w things? GUILTY SELFISH TWIT!

July 4, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Ash Bugg

Are we ever going to know the truth? I wish little Caylee could tell her story, huh? Bet Casey would have a different look on her face if little Caylee ever had a chance. Yes guilty selfish twit..........

July 4, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
    • AWMessenger

I'm trying to figure out what "despesiation" is. When I do, I might agree with you??

I'm curious why this case is SO PUBLIC? Seems like there is supposed to be some sort of protection (though that may not be the correct word) from cases becoming so known nation-wide as to have public television coverage directly in the courtroom? Yeah, OJ was public figure. See the difference. Since OJ was public, he sort of didn't have that protection. But this person is NOBODY. But now because of our nation's MORBID CURIOSITY, she is now a NATIONAL NAME. Doesn't seem right some how.

As far as if she is guilty, or if she is NOT guilty, I wasn't on the jury, and I did not stay glued to the television to watch this morbid thing unfold. So, I would say, leave it to the jurors, they will make the right call on it.

July 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

GUILT!!! Fry that self-centered sociopath and MURDERER!

July 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texan•Gal

I agree. They would've known what to do if the girl would've died accidentaly.
      AWMessenger, the case is public because it involves a little girl and a party animal that may turn out to be guilty of killing her. You, just like the rest of us, are following the case and adding comments here, so answer to your own question.

July 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy Disgrace

Oink! Oink! Oink!

I'm Nancy Grace. I'm a fat pig who was nearly disbarred for knowingly presenting false testimony and false evidence in court against defendants. After such a great legal career, I'm the perfect pig, er, person to report on legal issues in the USA on a major news network. At least I'm not as dumb as my scowling monkey co-worker, Jane Valez BlTCHELL.

Cmon CNN give a brother a chance,
      PROMOTE RYAN SMITH!!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Innocent Juice

Yeah AWMessenger, the jury will make the right decision. Just like they did with OJ.

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pffft

Wow jury by cnn bloggers. .creme of the braincell crop. .

July 4, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Ash Bugg

1 out of 3.....

July 4, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

Happy Birthday America! I think the prosecution did not prove the case against her. No real concrete science evidence or placing her there. There is doubt. The prosecution should have gone for a lesser charge abandonment,leading to death, neglect, but they never placed her there, reasonable doubt to the cause thats the sticky point in the prosecution. It will only take 1 person to say I am not sure, and if I am not sure I cannot put this neglectful mother to death on "no proven cause of death. "
    The defence never proved what they said happened either, they only had to place doubt, throw a bunch up and see what sticks in one mind of one Juror.

July 4, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Standby

Did you just not hear Ashton expain in detail what 1st degree was, he just signed her death warrant.

July 4, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

No I did not hear him explain it. It will only take 1 juror. I don't think prosecution proved what happened. My opinion.

July 4, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Krypton Court

@Scottish: You're Scottish. You guys smash babies against rocks that you deem unacceptable. Your men wear skirts and sword fight, or they blow each other's bagpipes. You also enjoy foul warm pints of dark gooey beer (don't tell me there's no innuendo there).. I think this is a case where common sense can prevail. She knew her daughter was at the very least missing, yet she did nothing about it. She also put a heart on the duct tape meaning she was there long ago prior to the burial. You don't need a smoking gun or bloody knife to convict on murder. This isn't CSI. Off to the phantom zone she goes for eternity.

July 4, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Florida

The law is the law. In all probability she had some type of involvement in the death of her child. The state should have waitied until they had ore evidence that proves her guilt with out a reasonable doubt. Someone helped her, she did not do this alone. There is no proof that she didn't drown and there is no proof of the cause of death. I couldn't convict her beyons a reasonable doubt of any charge of murder, child endangerent yes. There just isn't enough evidence.

July 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilson

On the contrary, she put herself there by trying to say it was a drowning accident. She slit her own throat.

July 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vlad

Good point scottish mama. She could be guilty or she could as well be NOT guilty. I don't know. Its the job of the prosecution to prove it beyond reasonable doubt and they have not. You can't send someone to die just because they are probably guilty.

Most of the people voicing their opinions here are doing it based on emotions, not facts. Saying "OMG all facts are all there, put her to death already, i've seen it, jesus told me" and such don't prove anything.

July 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

the only thing that is proven is that she is dead, but im not sure which of the 3 is to blame, but somthing is very fishy in that family,,,,,thats all i can say!!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I get that feelling too but cannot pin down the dysfunctional/conspiracy/ and sad fact a child lost her life and will never take a breath or be held in arms that love her.

July 4, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Ty

I agree

July 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Debb

that internet search will be the clinchpin. No one believes the mother searched for all those methods of demise.

July 4, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Debb Cindy Anthony is a nurse and I kind of thought maybe she did? They had answers for it and a nurse may look up the makeup, the dog thing was strange and macabre. But the mom and dad just want to put doubt. The defense was a hail Mary, with alot of conjecture.

July 4, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

But is there any evidence that Casey actually made chloroform or obtained any of the chemicals needed to make it? Is there any evidence that Casey used chloroform on Caylee?

Doing google searches is suspect, but can hardly stand on its own as evidence that Casey killed her child using chloroform.

July 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vlad

This morning I searched chloroform. Am I a suspect too?

July 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Justice

After watching closing arguments yesterday, I do not believe the prosecutin has proven a capital murder case. I also believe dad, George, to be involved in some way and a liar. Thah being said, the media is showing us and telling us only bits and pieces of their biased opinion. We can't be judge and jury based on that little information. The jury has a difficult task ahead and I really feel for them.

July 4, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. dawn

I think something is going on. I do think that the father had something to do with this. We really dont know who had caylee at the time she died. The father supposely molested casey as she was growing up. I think that suicide note is guilt. I believe that the parents most likely had caylee at the time of her death. I believe they thought casey was an unfit mother who knows maybe maybenot. But I do believe that the parents have something to do with this. Maybe casey is guilty of be an unfit mother but I dont think she killed her. I dont even think caylee was with casey caylee was with the grandparents. The father (grandfather) is guilty.

July 4, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Dusk

Dawn you are a fool. Not only are you the reason people like OJ was not convicted, but your ignorance is what plagues this once great nation..

There is NO evidence that Caylee was with the grandparents. There is NO evidence that Casey was molested. You are too foolish to observe facts and use common sense to reach an intelligent conclusion. So, in your mind if George felt guilty and therefore tried to kill himself, then how does your little brain rationalize Casey's sociopathic lies and comp,eye lack of remorse in the weeks Caylee was missing?

Pull your head from your rear and get Mike's head dislodged too.

July 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I'm going to agree with Dawn here. I believe George Anthony's experience as a police detective makes him a primary suspect. He also has motive to protect his daughter from a capital sentence. So no, I don't think that Dawn is ignorant, I think she is most likely more intelligent than you understand.

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dusk

Sure John. George has the motivation to keep Casey from a capital murder conviction by having her accuse him of molestation and implicate him in Caylee's death despite the fact that Cindy was the one trying to save Casey by lying under oath about Internet searches. Get a clue.

As for Dawn's ignorance, the writing on the wall says it all. 99% of the posts here are utter drivel written with the skill and intelligence of a third graders book report. Dawn's is no exception and coupled with her baseless, brain-dead opinion, my guess is I vastly underestimated her ignorance..

July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

Dawn........you make a great point there in saying you believe the suicide note shows guilt, i totally agree with that

July 4, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Don't Like Mike

So Mikey if you reach the conclusion of guilt as a result of George's suicide note, without any sort of trial or even the slightest bit of evidence he molested Casey, then please allow me some of your insight as to why Casey made up such an absurd string of lies to her family, friends, police, prosecution........and please include her motivation for partying and getting tattoos in the 33 days her daughter was "kidnapped" by her imaginary nanny.

IDIOTS!!!

July 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

What if George Anthony knew that the toxicology report would reveal culpable negligence by his daughter and decided to protect her from the death penalty? He would have used natural decomposition, which takes time, to cover it up. He told Casey not to report it for as long as possible. Isolation would have caused her to feel immense guilt, so I believe she used social comforts as a coping mechanism.

July 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evansville

Dawn and Mike and others of your ilk, George feels guilty because, like all parents, we feel responsible for the way our children turn out! He knows he raised a psychopathic, cold-blooded murderer. I'd feel guilty, too!

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dont Like MiKe

Uh, John, last I checked 1st Degree Murder is not the charge for negligence. As police, George would be well aware that even if chloroform was found in a toxicology report, the autopsy would show death by drowning therefore Casey would not be charged with capital murder for negligence. At worst she may have been charged with child endangerment.

July 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeanine

People! People! Please! Think about the ridiculous notion that George Anthony would maintain that he was never involved in any way with Caylee's death, lying to cover up an accidental drowning, and continue to maintain this even when his daughter is on the chopping block in a capital murder case? Does George Anthony appear remotely like the type of person that, knowing his daughter is on trial for MURDER, just sit back and not finally just admit that he knows what happened to his own granddaughter? Come on now. Isn't the evidence enough to convince you that Casey is a monster, and that George isn't even close to reaching her level of psychosis. He may be a dysfunctional dad (although I don't think he is) but he is no monster.

July 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

@Dawn and Mike But what kind of Guilt not being there or participating enough to see the real neglect that was playing out and doing nothing to intervene and save Caylee Marie. I think Baez was going for the doubt factor and the parents were willing to support it.

July 4, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

I think maybe guilt of George possibley lude acts with little Calee, and possibly it was him that use the Chloroform to knock her out so he could carry on such acts and it snowballed out of control and led to her death.........just a theory thats all

July 4, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Patty

Well Mike. I think George is feeling guilty because he didn't go look for Casey when he found out she didn't have a job and was lying. He knew something was up. I don't think any of them thought Casey would harm Caylee. But George feels guilty because he felt he let Caylee down by not protecting her. They were finding out about Casey stealing money from grand parents and that she didn't have a job and Cindy just kept believing she had it under control because she talked to Casey every day and believed what Casey was telling her. So she tells George everything is fine. Until they find the car then they freaked and wanted to know what was going on.

July 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

There are really too many "Theorys" in this case though to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt

July 4, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Exactly that is why I think Maybe the prosecutions assumption and contempt for Baez was more than they could prove, maybe a lesser charge could have been proved by some sure provable evidence. Neglect resulting in a childs death?

July 4, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • CAM

I bet out of all these theories, someone has nailed it on the head. We'll never know unless Casey speaks. I say, slap her with 1st degree.......she'll start talking then!

July 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Name*tampa

I believe casey did it,but i do not believe prosecution proved the case according to the law how casey died has not been proven. Also as a father myself i can not get to suicide for a grandfather unless i had something to do with the death.

July 4, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Too Many loose ends.....

July 4, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Too many unknowns and loose ends....

July 4, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I don't think the grandfather's guilt has anything to do with involvement in Caylee's death ... I think it's due to the fact that he raised a killer. That must be a sickening reality and an enormous sense of failure & guilt that you can't shake from your soul. Re: loose ends ... this is real life, people, not a tv show where all questions are answered and every loose end is neatly tied up with a bow. Loose ends are normal and they exist in every murder case. I think the prosecution removed enough reasonable doubt and my prediction is that the jury will come back with a guilty verdict.

July 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina Marie

I totally get George wanting tom commit suicide over the grief of not just losing his grandaughter, but having to think about the way in which she may have died. I have a 2 year old grandaughter, she is the sweetest little thing you can imagine. If this sort of thing happened to her, I dont know if I could live with it either.

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RUFFNUTT

she guilty of being hot... and one of the top five worst mothers...
    even if she gets off they'll get her for the check fraud...

July 4, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Krypton Court

July 4, 2011 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Personally, I always thought a cross between a fish and a chimpanzee.

July 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jpbrennan

I'm gonna have to agree with Jim on this, I feel without any Doubt that she is GUILTY on all counts, I have watched most of this trial and researched what I missed in the evenings, I feel the state has proved this case beyond any reasonable doubt, and I also think the Honorable Judge Belvin Perry did a excellent job officiating the circus performance that Baez and Mason put on in our judicial system. Eye for an Eye! riddens casey anthony.....

July 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaxZ

"She looks like a mouse Ruffnutt. Her with makeup and some sl ut tty clothes is doable at best, but I couldn't wake up next to her everyday."

I bet she's a lot prettier than the blowup doll you wake up next to every day.

July 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texan•Gal

They made her look boring and older so she is not viewed by the jury as a party animal... her makeup, that hairdo, o my gosh, so old looking and nothing like the pictures of her party nights...

July 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

ok im just glad im not on that jury......everyone have a great 4th, enjoyed posting with ya

July 4, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. jmdaj

hot?! even trying to look pretty she just looks like gross trailor trash! and even if a jury finds her innocent she still has to live witg herself forever. sick bitty.

July 4, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • seamus

if she's innocent people will riot in the streets. Best thing to do is lock her up.

July 4, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94