Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. Peter Wegner

The state of Florida did not prove her guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt," in my humble opinion. Therefore, not guilty. She may or may not have done it but the fact is, the state didn't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefor, she goes free. That's the law. *I did not attend law school. This is opinion only.

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob Mac

I think the whole family should be put in a place and be observed, I believe over time, it will come out who is the guilty one or the truth if she died in the pool. They should not be freed on the streets until this is resolved in case one of them could cause damage to more people.

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • KathySanDiego

@Peter – Best answer of any posting. The state proved nothing beyond a reasonable doubt except it's now a contest about winning.

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jim

Murder one? No, guilty of something? yes She was a bad mom, no doubt about it, but her parents are lousy parents as well, and I figure them into this mess, just as deeply

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • RCBinTN

I agree, Jim. It's a family affair.

July 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

Was the defendants psychological profile discussed during the trial? Is she a sociopath? The behavior alleged by the prosecution seems to indicate so. Where is the proof? Also, why didn't the defendant put the victim up for adoption like so many others do in America? The grandparents seem like they would have helped? What about the father of the victim? Who is he? Where was he during the trial? I want to see more evidence before I convict and sentence to death. I am pro capital punishment but lets be certain and lets get it right.

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jessica

Well said!!

Shes still a human and deserves love and understanding and even your pitty. Caylee is gone. Nothing can change that. But maybe there is some hope that Casey can be rebuilt as a person again. She needs our pray, God has pitty on all of his children. Who are we to not extend the olive branch?

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kman

I would beat her with the olive branch.

July 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • LISA

Justice for Caylee, not her killer mother. There is no such thing as rebuilding a person, good behavior once caught,etc.
      She deserves death twice over for killing a child. IT's not right to give excuses for the killer. SHe could have done many other things other than kill her own kid in order to get out from being a parent. She shouldn't have been spreading her legs from the start if she couldn't handle the pressure of having a child. Even abortion would have been better in hind sight. THink of the kid in this story not the killer. JUSTICE for CAYLEE and to h*ell with CASEY

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Taylor

Who had the most to gain from the death of Caylee? Not Cindy, not George, not Lee. The only one is Casey. She got 31 days of freedom and a tatoo to prove it.

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jimmy

She's probably guilty of the crime. However, the evidence against her isn't hard enough to prove she murdered Casey. The law requires that you convict someone beyond a reasonable doubt. I remember when I had to serve in a jury case myself over a serious DUI crime. Although me and my fellow jurors suspected the defendant of driving under the influence, the evidence presented to us was lacking and contradictory. Therefore we had to find him not guilty. The evidence against Casey is pretty shoddy.

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RU Serious

The whole family is dysfunctional! If my Grandkid went missing for ONE DAY, I'd send out the guard. If I suspected my son was a bad parent, I would do anything/everything to protect that small child. Lets hope these jurors aren't of the same calibre as the OJ jurors who let that murderous b* go free.

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jason

I would vote not guilty myself.. The state did not have any solid evidence to show.

July 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Taylor

You dont make an accident look like a murder!

July 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kman

Not guilty? Are you kidding me? The prosecution has to prove beyond a "reasonable" doubt, not beyond "any" doubt. What reasonable person could think she is not responsible for her daughters death? She will probably be convicted on a lesser murder charge. Who knows though, might have a juror that is as dense as some of these posters.

July 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LISA

Guilty on all counts. That's my vote. SHe should be put to death.

July 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Christina

I am trying to figure out how can a mother do something so cruel to her little girl. I strongly feel Casey is guilty and the punishment she receives will be fairly sentenced. She is a pathologic liar and the only one's I feel bad for are Caylee, the victim in this and Mr. and Mrs. Anthony. My prayers go out to the family of little Caylee but by no means do I feel any bit sorry for Casey. Casey is a poor excuse for a mother. She shows no remorse or feeling for what happened. How could someone wait 30 days to report your child missing? And say that the 30 days were meaningless and be out partying and getting a tattoo that says Beautiful Life. Casey deserves everything she has coming to her. Once again my condolences to the Anthony Family.

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lou

All they proved was SOMEBODY didn't notify the authorities of the accident and improper disposal of the body! She's not even charged with any of that! I say she walks!

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 504bestkeptsecret

I think she should be found guilty. If the baby supposedly drowned she would have called the police, how u let 31 days go by without ever reporting you baby missing is just crazy to me.

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

I would love to sentence her to death but can't on th ebasis of her upbringing that made her act in such a way.
    I blame not only her but her parents and those reponsible who did not have the guts that you are not supposed to act in a such a psycho manner.

July 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry Gosser

According to Nancy Grace, anything the prosecution says is the BIBLE, just watch her show. Your guilty unless you can prove your innocent. All of the Innuendo's and she still doesn't get it. Not Guilty.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94