Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. Name*Diane

I think she is guilty no mother who loves thier child and the child is missing would be out partying if it was my child i would be looking till i found my child

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • LAborn

Exactly.....

July 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. guest

There is something in Casey's family history that has caused her to be a liar. I think she had a child too young and I think she is guilty, but because of her background I think if I was a juror, I wouldn't convict her to death penalty. I think what happened is sad and wrong. But, I also think she will be forver cursed by this no matter what and I would charge her with child neglect, lessor charges. Our tax's don't need to pay for her to spend her life in prison. I think regardless the family and her has learned the lesson and it's over. I believe George knows more then what he lets on and I just am not sure if I beleive she wasn't molested due to her actions. So with that, I can't say first degree murder. I think it's a mess but I can't see her spending her entire life in prison. She is a kid herself...that had a messed up family.

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debb

Tax dollars is not a reason to find her not guilty. There are far more wasteful uses of tax money than jailing someone for life.

Casey Anthony, no matter her crime, can still be a useful human behind bars. Whether she serves meals to co-inmates, or peels potatos for the rest of her life, she can still be useful and perhaps, atone for her crimes. The death penalty will only serve to punish her family – and they have been through enough.

July 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • fferguson-manly

I had a child at the same age as her and had a messed up family and NEVER would have thought of doing something like this! Im now in my 30's with 2 children and think that is a sorry excuse for a reason why she did it.

July 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vince

I agree with Jo who posted on July 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM. The prosecution has not proved she is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. my heart would tell me that she is guilty but jurors should not act on heart and emotion. They should act on logic, facts, and proof and the prosecution has not proven anything except that Casey Anthony is an unfit mother, stupid, party girl and a liar. But because someone is all of those things that doesn't make them a murderer. We have all lied, we have all partied, we have all been stupid. Maybe not to such a degree as Casey Anthony has acted but we have. The state has the burden of proof and they have not done their job. The prosecution better hope that the jury is stacked with people who act on emotion and not people who act on logic and reasoning.

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eli

Guilty as F@$K!

July 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Leonard

In Casey Anthony's mind, Casey was not present for the trail. Casey's body was present but an imaginary friend was sitting in Casey's body. She lives in an imaginary world. That is why what you saw was an accused murderer sitting there almost immotionless. But she is guilty of all the charges. That is my opinion.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Becca

There are too many variables however, due to the publicity, I believe she will be found guilty and get the death penalty. The trial is too emotional and she has not shown any emotion.
    The defense strategy, with the abuse allegations, is outrageous! It's like they are grasing at straws.
    If this was truly an accidental death, who goes to this much trouble to cover it up – as a murder? It's ridiculous!
    Yes, there is reasonable doubt – as they cannot prove how she died – but I doubt it'll matter in the end.
    The world wants justice for Caylee – and people are inclined to think with their hearts. Caylee will get justice but will Casey?

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. windblows

George was involved in moving he baby. The only difference I have is that the baby may have drowned when only Casey was in the home. Casey, because she was a failure with her parents could not admit she was irresponsible and failure to watch Caylee, could not admit this major, major, furbar. I believe she would have rather been dead, than to admit to her mom that the baby drowned in the pool because she did not watch her. -The dad either moved the body or had someone move it because at this point the baby was in car for days and no one would have believed the baby drowned by accident.. ... Because George has a guilty past with Casey, and the family has weird relationships with each other...the father protected Casey by moving the baby. He protected himself as well because he has guilt for Casey's behaviors as he molested her at some point in his past. He admits being a failure in his letter. Casey has lie upon lie because she was in denial and never, ever, wanted to admit her failure to protect her daughter because everyone loved that child so much and would have been so very mad at her for this loss. She was always the failure but this was so major, she could not face it. Not guilty. There are more extreme cases that they could have aired on a Sunday and the 4th of July. We are gross people that like to see people suffer for very, very, stupid mistakes.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. carol

The prosecution never proved beyond a reasonable doubt what really happened to Caylee. I agree that the entire family is completely dysfunctional and I think that they know how Caylee really died and are hiding it. Although Baez bumbled around like Columbo and his opening statement was a complete disaster and should be taught in every law school in this country as the prime example of what not to to in an opening statement, he is correct in that there is no proof of first-degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt here. Despite the lack of proof, I do believe that the jury will find Casey guilty of first-degree murder and the real issue will be whether or not the jury returns a death sentence. And, for all of those who want to know what the attorneys are doing while they are on verdict watch, I can pretty much guarantee that they are huddled over beers in a bar nearby waiting for their cell phones to go off.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Phyllis

GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jackie

I believe she is guilty, but I worry about juror number 4."who cannot judge based on religion".I don't know if we will ever see justice for Kaylee.But Biaz is sure trying to make his way to Hollywood.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carl

Guilty of Murder 2, DA didn't prove murder 1

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tim

GUILTY OF MURDER 1. She mercilessly killed her 3 year old. She partied like a rock star afterward almost celebrating her newfound freedom. She lied and lied and lied. She searched for Cloroform, and all the evidence links directly back to her (laundry bag, duct tape, smell in her car. She did it. The jury will be quick with Murder 1. All other theories about how this poor child died are preposterous. The defense's claim of fantasy forensics and insinuation will not work. Look for guilty convictions on all counts by this Wednesday.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anthony Bermani

If you go to bed and there's no snow on the ground and when you wake up in the morning, there's snow on the ground, you can say that it positively snowed beond a question of a doubt.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Carla

She has to pay with her life, the horrible crime , she is Guily of.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scott

I believe she should be found guilty of gross negligence resulting in the death of her child. Proving this was pre-mediated is a stretch. However, given the constant lying and deceptions they should allow for a harsher punishment, like getting her tubes tied. She should never again be allowed the possibility of getting pregnant.

July 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94