Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. Ashamed

I'm amazed that anyone can honestly say within themselves that there's a remote chance Casey didn't have anything to do with Caylee's death.

In my opinion the prosecution did an awesome job. And I do believe she will get a guilty verdict but will not get the death penalty. Maybe about 30 yrs , she will be out I'm sure by the time she's 55, she still be able to live a life.

July 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

no evidence of anything except that casey is a lying party girl . no "chloroform" found in the childs body whatsoever no cause of death how can u convict someone of murder when u dont even know how she died ?

July 4, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • boisei

of course the prosecution had a chance to close their case today, the blood sucking judge gave the state a day to practice, instead of letting them rebuttle yesterday. she wouldn't have been so affective if she did it yesterday. I hope Casey walks, the prosecution hasn't proven anything, junk science. I'm not saying she's innocent, but if you're taking someone to court prove it.

July 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

THANK GOD CHANEY MASON & JOSE BAEZ IGNORED THIS BIMBO JANE MITCHELL. SHE IS SUCH A FAKE AND PHONEY. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO OUR COUNTRY? WHAT A DISGRACE THIS IS BY OUR LIBERAL MEDIA. CNN AND HLN REPORTERS HAD HER CONVICTED A LONG TIME AGO. I HOPE THEY ARE WRONG SO WE CAN WATCH THEM SQUIRM IN THEIR PANTS.

July 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

lol i totally agree . between her and that disgusting pig faced cow nancy grace nobody in this country wil ever have a fair trial .

July 4, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine66

John, Sir:
      Consider that you are posting in ALL CAPS which is seen as yelling at your readers.

July 4, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • K Conlon

Don't like the media leave the country leave!

July 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kendra

I've watched the case closely and I feel like nothing makes any sense. There isn't a strong motive and no cause of death. I would have a hard time convicting Casey Anthony of first degree murder. Child neglect? Absolutely. Did she have something to do with her daughters death? Yes. But there just isn't enough solid evidence.

July 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine66

Kendra ... look at the duct taped dead baby for solid evidence.

July 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Larry Harmon

I have been following this case for some time now. My profession is landscaping and so I do have the expertise and experience to give my professional opinion regarding the Anthony case.

In my professional and well thought out opinion, I believe Casey Anthony did it with a rope in the dining room.

July 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • K Conlon

How could you make a joke of this? This is not a joke I guess you don't care about justice for a little girl? you joke was in poor taste!

July 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. True North Strong and Free

Why aren't you doing a poll, with buttons for each? Get on it CNN webbies

July 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robert

The Suicide really George. The time that your family needs you most you are taking pills? or out doing the search chick?
    He's guilty of something! Casey gets that stern face from her DAD!

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carlos

I think she is guilty. But who we can judge what she done. it only up to God desicde on her faith . She made bad choice and i feel like she desever no freedom and spend her life in jail with nothing . She put her family threw hell . I mean she is a lair and no nobody believe her . I wish her the best lucky but my verdeit is Guilty

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

Based on your grammar nobody should give a crap about your opinion . Go back to mexico or wherever you are from and pass the first grade then return with a readable post and maybe we'll consider your opinion.

July 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Linda

I think when someone uses chloroform on a 2 year old...that alone is intent to kill, even if the child survives. George had nothing to do with it.....if he had, I think he would have confessed in his suicide note. This is Casey all the way.

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

I don't know how much research you've done on this but the "chloroform" was just speculation . It wasn't found anywhere in any toxicology reports on the dead kid .

July 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Billy

How much money does Nancy Grace get for each time she says "Tot Mom"? She had to have a trademark put on it. It has made for a good Fourth of July weekend drinking game. Everytime that vile woman says "Tot Mom", drink up. You will be gone by the end of her 1 hour show. She sucks. CNN, you need to dump her.

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • riverdaughter

It's even nastier than you think. When Grace refers to Casey Anthony as "tot mom", she dehumanizes her and reduces her to a label. She's the mom of a tot. Tots are beautiful and innocent; moms are not virgins and therefore no longer innocent no matter what their culpability in the actions that lead them to be tried. It's the same thing that goes on with respect to the issue of abortion. Babies are always innocent human lives; the women who seek to abort them are always hard-hearted floozies who should get what's coming to them for not keeping their legs closed. Am I right? You know I am.
      I don't like Nancy Grace. I think she's a horrible human being. But I know who her target audience is. Fortunately for us, we have been able to watch this trial and if this board is any indication of what might be going on in the jurors' heads, some of them will not fall for this reprehensible trial by manipulated public opinion. Those commenters who are so adamant about justice for Caylee should hope to God that her mother gets a fair trial and that she is convicted on a crime the state can prove she actually committed.

July 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. brian

Wow another site where everyone chimes in based on their emotions . Yes i believe she is guilty but the state did not prove one bit how the child died . Nor did they prove who did it . No DNA no trauma to the child negative toxicology reports . If she is found guilty it will be a shame for our system of justice . Although i do think she will be found guilty but only because of how publicized it was and the fact that the Nancy Grace COW convicts everyone before they even get to a trial .

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Vicki Amoroso

What goes around comes around...

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Linda

I believe that she is guilty of murder but I feel like she will not get the death penalty. She should spend the rest of her life in prison. How can you murder your own daughter and show no remorse? What a truely heart wrenching case!

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tewks44

I think she's guilty. People don't lie about their missing daughter to cover up a drowning. People don't shove their drowned child in a garbage bag and throw them in the trunk of their car. People don't EVER duct tape the mouth of a child after the child drowns. And how does the defense explain away the computer searches? She's guilty, and to quote Ashton "The defense is asking you to suspend your common sense"

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

once again put her at the scene of any of your hunches ? the state sure as hell couldnt put her there . the state doesnt even know how the poor child died .

July 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BTS78

All I can think about when I look at this tramp is, god I bet she can suck a good one!

July 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Matt

You have a dead little girl, premeditation, and conspiracy to cover or alter a crime scene. We may not know exactly the cause of death was, but we know that there was indeed a death. Whether the cause was suffocation or gas, considering the elements how can you prove anything? This theory would work if there was no body, but that fact could not be concealed for good. Furthermore, who in their right mind would ever attempt to alter an accidental death scene into one that is suggestive of murder. Are we to the point where our legal system protects violent criminals who were fortunate enough to cover and conceal causes of death. Caley's body is the "body of evidence" that should seal a guilty verdict. Again, we have clear precise motive, a dead body, three possible causes of death, suffocation, inhalation of poisonous material, of suffocation through the combination of the materials presented above, and we have clear an undeniable evidence that demonstrates guilt through actions that have no other intent but to mislead and redirect authorities from the real crime elements.

July 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94