Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. somuchfor

Maybe they all did it. But that's just the point–even now there's doubt which means she can't be guilty of first degree murder. I cross fingers they will give her 2nd degree so she doesn't walk. Lee was less gentle with sociopath Casey so I think he's in the clear. If Cynthia was involved, why report it? No one knew. And I just can't see the Dad covering up a pool drowning and opening the family to a more intense investigation of murder. That leaves Casey, but there's a sorry lack of evidence to prove it.

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • jp

No doubt whatsoever; This monster killed her child and did it with premeditation.

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brad

Question everyone, maybe there is an attorney out there who can answer this for me. if the jury isn't suppose to have prior knowledge or opinions about what happened, How can the state or defense be satisfied they they had an unbiased jury, that wasn't contaminated by the medias opinion?

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Brad, You bring up a great point. Our media will never admit that they have tainted the jury pool. There are no more fair trials in this country especially if HLN and CNN is involved.

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

The jury was sequestered Brad.

July 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Raven

Not guilty. If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit. Ms. Anthony has been painted as a villian by many blood thirsty media representatives . I'm confident the jury will utilize their common sense and Ms. Anthony will be found not guilty on all counts.

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jury

You must be a nature born killer.

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • jp

Raven it's people like you that set murderers like OJ go free; reasonable doubt doesn't mean any doubt or no doubt at all; people like you are just nuts

July 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandra

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty......how can anyone believe she is innocent??? She was her own worse enemy. No way George would have let her stay in jail 3 years over a accident. Does anyone else think George is a ticking timebomb? I'm afraid after what Casey accused him of he will kill himself. He may have issues just like everyone else but how do you deal with this.....broke my heart seeing him on the stand breaking down.

July 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • shar

Omg were we watching the same trial. She had no remorse. Caylee was missing for 31 days. Cassey did not say anything. If I didn't know where my child was for just a few hours I would panic and he is 16. Caylee was only 3. I would be calling all my family members and the police.

July 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

I hope there is not one juror that thinks like you Raven. She is GUILTY!

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

Raven: If nothing else just look at the fact that since the last day Caley was seen, her mother was spending all of her nights at her new boyfriend's house. She knew Caley was dead and she didn't care.

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • sandra

Shar,

Your exactly right...my daughter is 22 and I still have panic attacks when I think something is wrong. When she was a teenager I can't tell you how many nights I walked the floor with worry. Praying to the good Lord above to keep her safe. I have close friends who have lost children(auto accidents) and they have never gotten over it....their lives changes for the worse from that day on. To see the pics of Casey dancing, smiling and having fun makes me sick!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. IrassJ

Seriously? George and Cindy wanted Caylee. They took care of her anyway. Additionally, there are millions of couples who would have gladly given all they have to care and love Caylee. So, to say she was unwanted and that Casey did a favor – are you kidding me? That is just sick and wrong to even think.

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renee (Mother of 4)

That's what I've been saying since I first heard her missing on the news, what 3 yrs ago now? If she couldn't handle being a parent her parents would obviously have gladly taken her in!

July 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • send her to texas

but casey killed caylee to spite cindy! it wasn't about anything else. she hated and still hates cindy because cindy was harder on her than george and lee, and tried to make her responsible and called her out on her lies. she couldn't live her beautiful life with caylee living with her parents because then she would have to deal with cindy telling her that she was a bad mother and that was one thing she hated to hear. she did it to get back at cindy, period.

July 5, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Kizukine

I agree with IrassJ. C'mon what sane person would kill their child? If you never wanted the child, you shouldn't have gotten pregnant. Well, she had the child and she didn't want her. Her parents would have gladly taken Caylee as their own. And Sir Jose Bias , I probably spelled his last name wrong, you would be a good defense attorney if you had the training.

July 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vlad

You are obviously not watching it.

July 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubby

This is what gets me!! 31 days, she was doing her own investigation and search for her BABY????? Me, I would have INVOLVED authorities IIIIIF I did not have anything to hide!!!! It took the Grandmother to alert police ONLY after Casey was c...onfronted by her mother, I WANT TO SEE CAYLEEEEE!!! that Casey said she had been missing and she was conducting her own search for her baby!! This is when Casey had to add more people, more lies to her story! This in itself would be endangerment, neglect!!!! Furthermore, my antennas would go up immediately after the NANNY was a figment of her imagination!! Well, Nanny was a LIE!!! So, come on!!!!! I do believe Casey killed her little girl. Casey stayed away from toooo many people, tooo many places during this time as to keep from having to explain anything to ANYONE!! Casey was on the RUN!! Casey stayed away from her natural surroundings on purpose. She knows she is going down!!! If by chance the jury comes back with anything else LESS than 1st degree murder, I WILL GIVE UP ON OUR JUDICIAL SYSTEM!!

July 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Let Her FRY

I agree with you totally. I really hope she gets fried for this. She is guilty as sin and it doesn't take anymore evidence to prove this to me.

July 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kori from Tampa, Fl.

Hopefully the jury gets it right. I personally believe the State proved their case. GUILTY

July 5, 2011 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
    • lynn

I have been watching this from day 1 i am tired of casey i think they have enough to get first degree murder 31 days what a joke hello any body stupid enough not to see that scott peterson got death penalty in the first degree they could not find cause of death for his wife and child .

July 5, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Melanie

Okay, if George and Cindy wanted Caylee so badly, then why did they tell Caylee that she had to get a babysitter because they were having to watch the baby too much. Granted NORMALLY that is not an unusual request for a single parent living at home. But they had to know their daughter was a party girl.

July 5, 2011 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • send her to texas

They told her they didn't want to watch Caylee anymore because they were trying to practice tough love, and make Casey responsible that's why. Casey was taking advantage of the fact that George and Cindy were were taking care of Caylee.

July 5, 2011 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
    • her responsibility

Even if Casey was a party girl, it's her responsibility to look after her child, not her parents. It wasn't wrong for her to ask her parents to help her, but making them watch her daughter constantly so she could party was unacceptable. If she didn't want a child and if she couldn't handle the responsibility of being a parent, maybe she should've grown up and made some choices about adoption.

July 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alicia

i agree, i thik she should have gotten the charge of an unfit mother by the way she said she did a favor... obviously b the way she acted in the cout room the whole time she didn't care about her daughter, she only cried because she cant b charged twice and she knows she got away with it. I think that she should have considered adoption before murder, if she can open her legs, then she can take care of what happens. And she cant use the "i was abused when i was a child" i know most women dont speak of it, but y all of a sudden? i think she also tried to pleed insanity so she could find any way she could out of it. i hope this lady never has kids again and that she can never forgive herself for what she did!

July 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Who ever said that she was unwanted? I am a Grandfather and my wife and I are raising my son's twin boys who we rescued from their mother, who incidentally is exactly like Casey Anthony in every way, well was Casey a meth adict.
      Anyway I have raised these boys from berth and I would lay down my life for them, and anyone who threatens that. My point is that I can't imagine anyone not wanting or loving A beautiful child. It's beyond me.

July 6, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pauline

The whole world and the grandparents, Cindy and George, wanted Caylee. No one is disputing that fact.
      At one o'clock in the morning, when Cindy gave Casey and Caylee the boot, what was the impulsive pschopath to do.
      She wanted her freedom, she wanted to punish Cindy for giving her the boot.
      She succeeded; she has irreparably destroyed her family; Cindy still believes Zanny the Nanny has Caylee and Casey is free, filthy rich and free.

July 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pauline

If Cindy wanted Caylee so bad she would not have let her deranged daughter leave the house with her. According to George they visited the grandfather who told Cindy about a 1600 dollar forged check that Casey had cashed. Cindy booted Casey out and told her to take Caylee with her, shrieking I am not babysitting anymore, get out. Casey was caught stealing off of Cindy, the grandfather and her best friend. Cindy was choking Casey and the brother Lee had to break it up. Cindy tried to force Casey to be a good mother and ended up with a dead Granddaughter but hey sometimes good things come from bad things. The mother Cindy and Casey will make up and spend all the millions from the book deal. George and the brother Lee will forever be known as having molested Casey starting as young as eight years old. Casey had a temper tantrum, killed Caylee and destroyed George and Lee with her vicious lies.

July 7, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dpljlb

If you really believe what you just wrote: Run (don't walk) to the nearest psych ward and check yourself in~

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Justin Hunt

I think she is not guilty on all counts. Mr. Ashton seems to want "justice" in the form of someone to point at in this situation. A dead child "has to have a killer," according to the state and the police. The partying mother is an easy target.

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • RickRoo

One of the counts was lying to police. You think she is not guilty of that?

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

The partying mother?! Seriously, she didn't report her daughter missing for 30+ days. She enters a hot body contest plus all the lying that came with it. How can anyone think she isn't guilty! Her own parents think she is guilty. Come on..

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wendy

ALL I needed to see was THE TATOO! Who gets a tatoo" Beautiful Life" after so she says Caylee died drowning proir! All the lies.. Her poor Family! She has ruined them for LIFE!! Give her the MAX!! NAIL HER TO THE WALL!! Sorry , but this was over b4 it began!! Casey Confess!!!

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

yes. I forgot about the tattoo!
      This makes me nauseous. I can't believe how some people think she is innocent.

July 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

@ Daniela: I can't believe anyone thinks she's innocent either. But 1st degree wasn't proven so that must be addressed.

July 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bridget

why do you merit continued existence?

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jon

Jennifer..birds of a feather, flock together i guess....you say you understand this? and that she should be reformed? she killed her own baby...and she should fry for this. you love the killer...why?

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Janet

This is the problem with teen mothers and other young mothers: Just because you had a baby at age nineteen, it doesn't mean you have the mental or emotional maturity to raise that child properly. They think that having a baby at a young age will make them a more vibrant and caring parent. They're still young women who want to be a mom and have a boyfriend and go out on dates. What Casey forgot is that Caylee would have grown up eventually and be able to look after herself so Casey could go out and have fun. Everyone forgets that: your child grows up to be a young adult and somewhat independent. You can go out on dates while they spend the night at the grandparents or go out on dates on their own. Casey was a party girl who didn't want to end the party for Caylee.

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

Woman have been raising babies at 19 and younger for almost the entire time humans have been on the planet. I hardly think that's a valid excuse. 19 is not 15.

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

I completely disagree! Their are plenty of young mothers who sacrifice their social lives to raise their children. It's morals and values for life is what was missing from Casey. She is a sociopath who is selfish and arrogant enough to believe that her lies could get her out of murdering her own child. She is shameless and should reap the consequence of her actions. A liar lies to hide the truth and if there was anything proven here it's that she is a pathological liar. May Caylee rest in peace

July 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tami

GUILTY

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jimbo

Would this case even be a headline if she were a male?
    Last seen with Caylee: Casey
    A dozen different lies explaining what happened to Caylee: Casey
    Partying with buds after child's disappearance with no apparent remorse (except when jury is around): Casey
    Car smelling of decomp: Casey
    Blaming everyone she knows for the death: Casey/Baez
    Lying to police: Casey
    Lying to anyone she can talk to: Casey
    Most likely to be slaved out in Prison: Casey
    Crazier than Charlie Sheen on acid: Cindy
    Any regular guy in America would have been convicted long ago without all the cameras and celebrity. Girls can be bad too.

July 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

Valid points.

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin

NOT GUILTYS. They didnt prove she really did it. This is the new stations trying to get into peoples heades. There is no way someone can get a fair trial now and days because of the media.

July 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • somuchfor

Not true. The jury was sequestered.

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Robert

Our President is a Liar, but he's still President. I'M THINKING GEORGE did something.

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JAMES HARRIS

GUILTY

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94