Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. Dave

This trial and it's following shows just how screwed up we as a nation are. This women is clearly nuts. Lock her up before she kills someone else. Probably more people than just her need some detention.

July 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nelson

How can we possibly be the jury when we do not have the facts the real jury has?

July 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Thank you Nelson! some of these people are coming up with there own theries instead of focusing on the facts. Thats why so many murders get a walk out of jail free card.

July 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

My Granddaughter 6 yrs old was dropped off at the wrong place by a "new" school bus driver that did not speak english and didnt understand that Betty was telling her it was her stop.
    This happened in TX and from the 1st phone call that she was missing I was hysterical and crying...Casey has shown none of this...my God 31 days ..you would have to sedate me .This girl is GUILTY. My granddaughter was found by a woman whom lived in the area and called police .I dare think what could have happened. Casey knew where Caylee was the whole time ..she didnt have to worry about her until her remains were found then she had a problem!

July 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimberly

Exactly....the key words are 31 DAYS!

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

NOT GUILTY on all counts.
    I saw and/or heard nothing that convinced me, beyond reasonable doubt, that she had anything to do with Caylees death. All I saw was a very frightened, confused young lady that was trying to "run away from problem as if it didn't exist".
    To me, the real mystery of this trial is who Caylees father was, and why this was not determind – he would certainly be "a person of interest", to say the least.

July 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimberly

The alleged father was killed in a car accident about year before Caylee died. According to the alleged father's mother, his death was first ruled an accident, but later ruled as a homicide.

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Larry Harmon

"i'm at the courthouse, the jury decided! NOT GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS, THEIR ABOUT TO ENTER THE COURT ROOM! This is amazing how this happen, NOT GUILTY and even Perry is confused, the media is being brought in rigth now, not guilty on ALL COUNTS?????' i WOULD tHInk at least for child neglect but COME ON!!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name*dawn

Sadly, if the jury goes by "the letter of the law" there's no way Casey can be found guilty. I do believe her mother should be charged w purgery though. Sad day for little Caley! !!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Craig

In my opinion, I think she is guilty. There is just too much overwhelming evidence that she aspired for a life she could not have because she felt seemingly "anchored" on account of having her little girl. However, in light of my feeling she is guilty, I do not wish the death penalty on her. I have been on the fence on this matter for a very long time and tend to lean against the death penalty for reasons that I feel it is not OUR place to dictate, but a higher power.

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

The only runaway freight train is Jane Velez Mitchell. My God talk about a drama queen.

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeannie

Totally agree with you. She is painful to listen to and I have to turn her off. That whole Nancy Grace business is foolish!

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

Those sick witches have done irreparable harm to the system of justice in America. Trying and convicting persons on television for the sensationalism of it, and ultimately for the money the show pays them, they have taken away any chance for an impartial jury.

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

You guys are so right. And everyone from CNN covering this case is so against Casey Anthony. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty". The CNN team could very well be a lynch mob

July 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • mc

she's unbelievably bad. almost impossible to watch.

July 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeannie

If I hear the phrase "tot mom" one more time, I think I will blow the TV up with fireworks!

July 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David

Honestly do not know anyone who watches or cares about this trial. Not sure why the media is making such a big deal of this trial. My friends and I laugh every time HLN says it is the trail everyone is watching...no one is watching. It is tragic, hope the verdict is soon so we can carry on with more important matters.

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • natnat

you should check the ratings of all the local and cable tv stations. you are mistaken. another thing i would like to point out is how you are on a link about the casey anthony trial, posting a comment that nobody cares about the trial, yet you cared enough to comment that nobody cares! irony

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa Marie

I think you and your friend's are the "Nobodies" NOT watching the trial. It's been watched and read, heard about around the world for the last 3 years culminating in the long overdue trial now. Ever since little Caylee disappeared and her mother (I use the term loosely) never reported her missing until "her mother" tracked her down and called the police about her missing grand daughter 31 days later, people all around the world have been following this story. Maybe because you're not a mother (LOL!) and never can be you don't understand the shock and compassion for the death of 2 year old little Caylee, the way she was murdered and by her own cold hearted psychotic mother then discarded like trash. Although children are killed by their mother's, father's or parent's every day I believe it's the way Casey acted after killing her daughter, most don't go out partying, concocting lies, and living a life better then before she killed her child, etc. that has so many people furious and continue to follow the story praying for justice for Caylee. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THERE WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISS JUDGMENT IN THIS CASE AS THERE WAS FOR NICOLE SIMPSON AND RON GOLDWYN!!! You should NOT let it stop you from going on with the more important things in your life as you say and I don't think it stops others from going on with theirs just because it's cared, watched and talked about.

July 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rob

You first, especially since you can't even spell the word "SHOOT".....

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. susan

I believe her guilt was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Craig

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

My God CNN is so pro prosecution it's disgusting.

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • ParenT

I thought they didn't take sides. I just want Nancy grace off the air

July 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mario Camino

You got that right.

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mario Camino

I believe Casey is responsible for the death of Caylee, but the evidence presented is not for a first degree. If Casey had plan to kill Caylee before hand, why didn't she plan on what to do with Caylee's body afterwards??? I believe this was an accident that involve negligent and she try to cover it up.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeannie

First degree does not deal with the disposal of the body at all. It deals with the planning of a murder. She could have put the child in the freezer, but it still is first degree murder.

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mario Camino

Yes Jeannie, she could have used the freezer, but she didn't cause there was no planning on killing Caylee. There is no first degree here.

July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Trina

Casey Anthony is Guilty! Common Sense – What mother knows their child is missing and tells lies to the Police. What mother tells everyone for 31 days different lies on where Caylee is located if they are not trying to cover up something. I believe that Casey was jealous of Caylee because her parents adored her so much the Affection and Love that Caylee received that is what Casey wanted. It doesn't seem that she had a great relationship with her mom or dad closer to her brother. She did things to prove them right like take money out of bank accounts that belong to her family members, mother, and friends. Lie and said she had a job for 2 years, but never did...As a parent you raise your children the same in everyway with a little variation one turns out right the other just can't seem to get it together. Casey was the child that couldn't seem to get it together and I Do Not think she ever wanted to try. In Casey's mind it is easy for her to do all the horrible things because she is smarter and feels she will never get caught. I believe Casey should get Life without Parole...Spend the rest of her life with people telling her What, When and How to do it!

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

YOU are a monster. Thank God you weren't on her jury. You have no idea. Listen to the depositions of George and Cindy Anthony given four months after the discovery of the remains for information not admitted into the criminal proceedings. Casey is innocent.

July 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • patti

I agree. And to the person who asks what good will it do to lock her up or kill her? She is unpredictable, her behavior is bazaar. She could harm someone else who gets in her way. Also how about our justice system? Who is going to get justice for the little toddler? Bless her heart. No punishment for crimes? Is that what you mean to say?

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94